Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I would love for my next dog to be a Doberman but I don't have much personal experience with the breed itself. I've only met two- they're not common in Massachusetts. Lots of small fluffballs and Labs though :D. So, how badly do they shed? I've heard reds shed less- is that true? I have a Shiba Inu and I can't handle another shedding machine in the house. Bleh. I'm fine with *a little* shedding, I just really don't want more of it covering clothes and furniture. Are they as bad as a Lab or a Dalmatian? You can't even touch those dogs without getting it everywhere!

Scale from 1 to 10:
1- Poodle
10- Akita/GSD

Thank you!!

·
Registered
138 Posts
My late husband had a Dalmatian and he said that our girl, Pru shed a little bit less than the Dalmation, but not by much.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts

My floors are constantly covered in little red needle hairs. They don't shed any less than any other haired dog, it just hides on the hardwood floor better.

My boy is also red. Hair. Everywhere. I have to vacuum every other day! No he's not balding lol

·
Premium Member
1,373 Posts
There are little black hairs EVERYWHERE in my house, but they're small :)
So for me much easier to deal with than the fluff my GSD shed!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Agreed with everyone on there they shed a lot you can probably make a whole nother dog with the little hairs on the floor ! I also vacuum every other day and brush him once a day lol I should start vacuuming him once a day Hahahaha. These are very unique dogs very active and need mental stimulation and tons of attentions as well.

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
25,101 Posts
One thing about dobe hairs--they are short and stiff and tend to work their way into fabric and carpets; I think they're actually harder to clean off of upholstery than fluffy undercoat. But the hair isn't as noticeable as hairballs.

So you kinda break even.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I don't find that Kris sheds very much at all. Whenever I sweep or vacuum it is Susie, my Bernese cross, that leaves hair everywhere, not Kris. The only place I found any amount of hair is from behind her crate when I move it out to clean behind it, otherwise, hardly any hair, and I don't clean behind her crate very often. My other little dogs are Shih Tzu x Maltese so no shedding from them.

·
Premium Member
1,132 Posts
I don't find that Phoenix really sheds that much at all. She will blow her coat in the early winter and for about a week sheds a ton--turning from summer-sun bleached to a rich red-liver color, but a zoom groom and a vacuum speeds up the process.
We used to own GSDs.... I will give them a 10!! Phoenix gets about a 4. Now, my two cats make up the difference.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is not what I wanted to hear ? websites all said they were minimal shedders! Dobies are my favorite breed though, so for them, I think I could manage. But I've also been looking into Cane Corsos- I believe they hardly shed at all. Any grooming tricks you all know of to help minimize it in the house? My Shiba eats with Pollock Oil for every meal and I use a furminator on him a few times a week. I'm kind of a neat freak ? thanks for all the replies!

·
Registered
16,038 Posts
My male sheds a lot my female hardly does. Previous red male shed a good bit. It's not the annoying dust bunny type that floats around and coats everything like a gsd or husky, thankfully. Get use to finding hair in weird places though.
Yeah, seriously, I'm all the time going, "How on earth did that hair get there?" I just don't get how they manage to climb up to sneer at me on the stove or wink at me millimeters from the food on my plate.

·
Premium Member
Mocha
3,600 Posts
I've had the hair become embedded in the ball of my foot. After walking around barefoot, I started feeling a sharp pain; thought I had maybe gotten a splinter from the back deck but nope, there was a Doberman hair stuck under the skin.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I've had the hair become embedded in the ball of my foot. After walking around barefoot, I started feeling a sharp pain; thought I had maybe gotten a splinter from the back deck but nope, there was a Doberman hair stuck under the skin.
Yes, this has happened to me twice!

My last guy was black and tan and shed probably about a 3-4. My current guy is a red and sheds like a 0-1.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Is it true reds have finer hair which could (not always) lead to less shedding? I never cared which Doberman I got, which ever my breeder paired me with, but if there's a chance reds shed less.. I'd want one!

·
Big Lil pup
6,157 Posts
I don't feel like my dobe sheds too bad. I also wipe her down a lot though so I catch a lot of it in the towels or wipes.
Yeah, me too. I mix a solution of 100% aloe and distilled water. I spray the dogs down and wipe them dry with a white cotton hand towel. Gets rid of a lot of shedding hair.

I also upon occasion, I use a masking tape type lint roller on them. They like it!

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Is it true reds have finer hair which could (not always) lead to less shedding? I never cared which Doberman I got, which ever my breeder paired me with, but if there's a chance reds shed less.. I'd want one!
I don't think there is a correct answer to your question. Everyone is going to give their own experience. There are so many factors that contribute to shedding (health, weather, diet, ect).

·
Asya's Family
3 Posts
We have a Shiba Inu and a Black Lab as well as our black/tan Dobie and she sheds WAY less because she doesn't have the thick undercoat.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts