Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to try and make this short:

I was going to train a dog as my psychiatric service dog. I ended up reserving a pup from a litter of standard poodle pups. (It was a decent breeder. D'gani Poodles to be exact.) I got him, raised him, he learned his tasks and obedience somewhat easily, but ended up developing people-shyness. This is no fault of the breeder. It was my fault I suppose. I have social anxiety and I think him, being a puppy, fed off of my anxiety and it caused him to become anxious too. I ended up having to re-home him as a service dog wash out. Now I am looking for an older puppy or adult doberman (anywhere from 10 months to 3 years old) to be trained as my next service dog. I have owned a dobe before and she was MUCH more trainable and confident than the standard poodle. This time I am working with a professional trainer and starting with a dog that isn't so young. After putting around $4,000 into my wash out service dog (training, purchasing him from the breeder, puppy shots, toys, crate, grooming supplies, etc.) I am not able to put forth much more money for another re-homing fee. I can by all means afford the correct food, vet expenses, etc. It's just that I will be putting so much into the training and equipment again that I would rather not pay a large re-homing fee. I know it is a lot to ask from any responsible breeder, but if anyone knows of a responsible breeder in Florida (hopefully around North Florida) or Alabama, who is willing to donate an older puppy or adult dog to me to be trained as my service dog, please let me know. I can pay a small re-homing fee if need be. I can provide references.

Yes I am aware of all of the service dog laws, etc. and yes I have previous doberman experience and service dog experience. Just thought I'd get that over with now in case anyone asks.

I guess this post wasn't very short after all lol!
Thank you for your time.

Dani

·
Registered
59 Posts
On the main website of DT, there is a small box to the left which is referring to rescue dogs, in case you haven't notice yet. I think its refreshing and shows new dogs, just check this... its all I can offer to you, I hope you find what you need.

·
Kano's personal couch
275 Posts
I dont know of any breeders in north Florida, but there are several around Atlanta if you are willing to travel a little farther. There's pamalot, ADAMAS and Kaliber that I can think of off the top of my head.
There's also a rescue based out ofTallahassee called the Doberman rescue Alliance. I personally work with them as their web designer and I know they have several incredible dogs as well as a couple pups currently. I'm still building their website but you can find them on Facebook. Wendy Moss is the woman in charge, and she's great.

I hope that helps a bit. Best of luck to you!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts