My name is Matt, & I am new to this website. I have a lot on my mind & I was wondering if anyone could help.
My dog Kano is a king red doberman, and is 8 years old. Yesterday (Sunday) between 12:30pm-11:30pm, he had what it looked to be as 3 seizures. They lasted about a minute each. We took him in to the local animal hospital and the vet said he has allergy symptoms (eyes were red & puffy, ears were overheated, and had fluid in his lungs).
So Kano stayed over night last night and got treated for the allergy symptoms, and fluid in the lungs.
Apparently they said today, he had no seizures what so ever. Good right?
What I am thinking is that a severe allergic reaction to something triggered his seizures on Sunday. I've done research on it, and it seems dogs can get seizures because of this.
Anyways, I went to pick him up today and he was very groggy. Like very "out of it", may be due to lack of sleep, fluids, or the medication we were told to give him the Sunday night in between seizure 2 & 3. It is called Diazepam, which is used to treat anxiety, but we were told it could help with seizures too.
So today, Kano was very tired. The vet questioned how much we gave him, we said 10mg, which is 1 pill. I am just wondering why my dog could be so sedated today. At 8:00pm Monday night we decided to get Kano on an IV for fluids, electrolytes, and potassium.
What are your opinions of IV's? Kano seems weak and dehydrated, so another night stay and IV for 24 hours we think will be beneficial.
I just need some input please, these past few days have really been hard for me.