Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Bladerator
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure people have heard that some say that Dobermans when older get some sort of brain swelling and will attack their owners.
I don't believe this at all..
My question is, does anyone know where I can read a good rated forum on this? Some place trusted.
I just need some proof to quiet down my family. :roflmao:
Thanks for the help everyone!!

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
It's good that you don't believe it because it's not true.

Are you looking for scientific evidence on this or just a ton of opinions?

·
Premium Member
9,664 Posts
My Euro boy has a head bigger then most labs.....that's my proof. If its going to happen to my Dobe then you better worry about your own dog! LOL!

I did have a checker at the market tell me that I had to worry about that with my boy, it was hard not to laugh.

This is a rumor from like the 70s.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
I hear it only sometimes. But it's True. LOL LOL LOL !!!!!!! Not really:roflmao:
Tell them not to worry.
Like murreydobe said. It only happens in the Dark

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
It's the eye boogers... When you see them it's evidence of the brain leaking out :D

In seriousness, this is a real issue... IN CAVALIER KING CHARLES SPANIELS. Whose skull shapes have been selected by really WONDERFUL people to be narrow dome shaped and cannot accommodate the brain. Doesn't cause aggression (lots of vicious CKCS out there?) but it does cause seizures and serious neuro problems.

As to proof... All you have is the absence of evidence. It's hard to disprove an urban legend. I suggest asking for a shred of proof this has ever happened, even once.

·
Like a Ninja
3,916 Posts
You know I had a guy tell me at the dog park that if you press the bump on the top of the dogs head (the sagittal crest) IN.. yes I said IN, it wouldn't happen... And this guy said this with a straight face and firmly believed what he was saying...

I promptly took Jones out of the park... didn't need him testing his theory...

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
Wasn't it this site where someone had a picture of it? A photoshopped pic? It was fantastic.

·
Registered
4,705 Posts

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
This is from Pitbull Placebo

The dates when the rumors and theories of Doberman homicidal tendencies began to emerge are impossible to pin down, however, sometime during the 1960s these rumors of the crazed Doberman had taken on a life of their own. One of the most popular myths had the skulls of the Doberman too small to accommodate their growing brains—causing the dogs to go mad and their brains to explode. (Unbelievably, this rumor is still heard today—but it is mostly now attributed to the new “super-predator,” the Pit Bull)...

Diane McWhorter is the Pulitzer Prize-winning author of Carry Me Home: Birmingham,Alabama: The Climactic Battle of the Civil Rights Revolution. In a 2005 interview, Ms. McWhorter commented on the critical use of photo imagery in the Civil Rights Revolution during the 1960s. She discusses how the use of a single episode of media-presented dog aggression could arouse and influence an entire population into accepting a cause or belief.
NCRC Publications | National Canine Research Council

·
Premium Member
4,260 Posts
Jordan has a humongous "smart bump", the biggest I've ever seen, so I think I have a while before I have to worry about his intellegence outgrowing his physical capacity, but now I know to watch for anybody pressing it in. :rolleyesww:

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
The rumour that Dobes brains outgrow their skulls leading them to becoming vicious etc reminds me of a study of criminality which can be detected in humans through Physiognomy. It was claimed by some scientists that there was a direct correlation between physical features (especially facial features) and character traits ie criminality. The study was made famous by Cesare Lombroso (1835–1909), who was the founder of anthropological criminology, he claimed to be able to scientifically identify links between the nature of a crime and the personality or physical appearance of the offender. The originator of the concept of a "born criminal" and arguing in favor of biological determinism, Lombroso tried to recognize criminals by measurements of their bodies. He concluded that skull and facial features were clues to genetic criminality and that these features could be measured with craniometers and calipers with the results developed into quantitative research. A few of the 14 identified traits of a criminal included large jaws, forward projection of jaw, low sloping forehead; high cheekbones, flattened or upturned nose; handle-shaped ears; hawk-like noses or fleshy lips; hard shifty eyes; scanty beard or baldness; insensitivity to pain; long arms, and so on.

Utter crap...

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
The rumour that Dobes brains outgrow their skulls leading them to becoming vicious etc reminds me of a study of criminality which can be detected in humans through Physiognomy. It was claimed by some scientists that there was a direct correlation between physical features (especially facial features) and character traits ie criminality. The study was made famous by Cesare Lombroso (1835–1909), who was the founder of anthropological criminology, he claimed to be able to scientifically identify links between the nature of a crime and the personality or physical appearance of the offender. The originator of the concept of a "born criminal" and arguing in favor of biological determinism, Lombroso tried to recognize criminals by measurements of their bodies. He concluded that skull and facial features were clues to genetic criminality and that these features could be measured with craniometers and calipers with the results developed into quantitative research. A few of the 14 identified traits of a criminal included large jaws, forward projection of jaw, low sloping forehead; high cheekbones, flattened or upturned nose; handle-shaped ears; hawk-like noses or fleshy lips; hard shifty eyes; scanty beard or baldness; insensitivity to pain; long arms, and so on.
Utter crap...
LMAO...a tip for the single ladies, criteria to avoid...on the internet dating sites / now you have your bad-boy-ugg list.
- than is not a man, its a frankinstine...happy surfing

·
Dobes Dobles +1
Lanah Chi-Cairn X 6 y/o, RIP Eva HADR Rescue Dobe, Sunking's Spock, Lillah Chi-Terrier X
4,584 Posts
You know I had a guy tell me at the dog park that if you press the bump on the top of the dogs head (the sagittal crest) IN.. yes I said IN, it wouldn't happen... And this guy said this with a straight face and firmly believed what he was saying...

I promptly took Jones out of the park... didn't need him testing his theory...
HaHa! Jonesy'sMom, maybe you should have "invited" the guy to go ahead an try to push it in!

Mr. Spocko (a.k.a. "Knucklehead") has a rather prominent "sagittal crest" but let me tell you, there is no way one could push it in as it's the hardest part of his body! I've had a few collisions with his hard knucklehead and he didn't even flinch! :p

Just in case, for the uniformed, I made a small safety poster below: :D

[Disclaimer: Above remark is intended to be facetious (humorous) and not meant to convey factual information about the noble Doberman breed, breeders or owners]

[Disclaimer: Above graphic is intended to be facetious (humorous) and not meant to convey factual information about the noble Doberman breed, breeders or owners]

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
HaHa! Jonesy'sMom, maybe you should have "invited" the guy to go ahead an try to push it in!

Mr. Spocko (a.k.a. "Knucklehead") has a rather prominent "sagittal crest" but let me tell you, there is no way one could push it in as it's the hardest part of his body! I've had a few collisions with his hard knucklehead and he didn't even flinch! :p

Just in case, for the uniformed, I made a small safety poster below: :D

[Disclaimer: Above remark is intended to be facetious (humorous) and not meant to convey factual information about the noble Doberman breed, breeders or owners]

[Disclaimer: Above graphic is intended to be facetious (humorous) and not meant to convey factual information about the noble Doberman breed, breeders or owners]
That's the best:roflmao: Press here to make him go crazy!

·
Registered
416 Posts
I'm sure people have heard that some say that Dobermans when older get some sort of brain swelling and will attack their owners.
I don't believe this at all..
My question is, does anyone know where I can read a good rated forum on this? Some place trusted.
I just need some proof to quiet down my family. :roflmao:
Thanks for the help everyone!!
My father in law actually had my wife convinced of this. I laughed so hard that they both got upset with me. I think I have convinced her that this is impossible. I can't believe people still fall for this kinda thing.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts