Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
been asking around for peoples opinions on both breeds (doberman and rottweiler) especially if anyone here owns both or have at one point i would like to know your thoughts on both breeds...which requires more excercise, has more energy, is more destructive, is more clingy...of course in the scenario if both were well trained and socialized

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I have a Rott and Dobe I got The Rott in July and Holly in December. Both Breeds are fairly new to Me also my Rott is getting up there in age and has some Health issues. Both dogs need lots of exercise you could get away with a 40 minute walk each day with a Rott a Dobe would prolly get more Destructive and bored after a minute or so and be more allover. A Dobe needs to spend atleast half the time off leash running and running at there full speed. Then a play session Dobes are pretty clingy more so then a Rott I would say. They both have lots of Energy I would say a Dobe would need more though. In alot of ways there Similar and both make Great Dogs if Trained and properly Socialized. People say these Dogs arent for everyone and I stand behind that as well. Every dog is different and a rott can be really destructive to but in my opinion I dont think there as bad in the long run.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you your answers helping me out alot i want a big good looking dog that's protective but at the same time not too clingy and hyperactive what is wrong with your rottweiler? (you said he had health issues)

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Duke has a good sized Growth and skin allergies is what I was told if He gets like one flea on him He basically goes crazy chewing is hair out and spots allover and yucky stuff coming from his eyes thats somewhat undercontrol He's on meds for that and He goes to the vet tomorrow about the lump Dobes arent suppossed to be hyperactive. there velco dogs they love their owner and they always wanna be with them rotts are pretty much the same. Energetic and hyper are 2 different things

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Before I answer any of the questions, I have to say that I've lived with Rottweilers my entire life and will probably always have one. I've only owned a Dobermans for a year but have been around a lot of friend's Dobes.

Which breed requires more excercise?
Both require quite a bit of exercise. Rottweilers are quite content to sleep the day away, as is my male Doberman but they do need daily exercise. My Rottweiler, when she's older will be walked daily while my Dobermans will be walked every few days simply because I find that the Rotts can become extremely bored during the day without some form of exercise, the Dobes are happy to do a few laps in the yard with the Tollers and play a few games of fetch but in my experience, Rotties just don't seem to be happy enough with that. They live to work. Each of my dogs also get to go to a private off leash park 2-3 times weekly (more so in the spring/summer).

Which breed is more energetic?
I find both breeds to be just as energetic as the other but Dobes are sleeker and more agile than Rottweilers so they don't tend to tire as quick as Rotties do.

Which breed is more destructive?
As mature, fully trained & well mannered adults, neither. Rottweilers can't ever fully be trusted alone not to chew and destroy things (including couches...) until they are atleast 3 years of age. Of course, this does depend on the individual dog though. Not sure about Dobermans on this one as I'm newer to the breed, my pup just turned a year old and my adult we got at 7 years old. Neither of them are destructive.

Which breed is more clingy?
Both are. I've found that the males in both breeds tend to choose one person in the family and are very clingy with them, the females are more independent (they can be clingy also though). Dobermans seem to be a little more clingy than Rottweilers though.

Other people will probably be able to help you out more when it comes to the Doberman. Everything I've posted all comes from my own experience and may differ from other peoples' opinions. I really hope everything I've told you has made sense, if not, please let me know!

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I have had Gracie for 1+. My brother has had his rott for a little longer than I have had my girl. Gracie is very clingy, very affectionate, she needs to be re-assured it almost seems. They don't call dobermans the velcro dogs for nothing I guess. :) Gracie is one great big ball of non stop energy. She doesn't tire to easy, she will keep going no matter what.

My brothers rott, is very loving and clingy as well. Not as much as Gracie. Ginger gets tired easy, playing with Gracie lasts about an hour before she needs a break.

I love both breeds and would love to some day get a rott. On the other had I can't see myself not having a doberman in my house. I would love to have one of each breed at the same time.

Also Ginger isn't really protective unless you knock on the window, once you do that she barks but if you walk in the house after that she runs up to the door with a toy ready to play.

Now with Gracie if you knock on the window she wont bark if she knows who it is, if you knock on the door she will though. Gracie won't run up to anyone, unless she knows who they are. If she doesn't know who you are, she will run up to you and show you her nice white teeth. :)

I say get one of each. That will make your self and all of us happy. :D
I hope I helped you. :)

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
I am sticking to my dobes i just think they are more noble and athletic looking.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
I forgot to add in my above post that Rottweilers do require grooming, unlike Dobermans. They have a thick undercoat that should be brushed/combed out often. People don't often think about that (even the ones who own them!) but I brush and comb them out every 3 days or so and always get a huge amount of hair out of them. I also use a shedding blade. Rottweilers also shed a lot more than a Doberman because of their undercoat.

As far as trainability goes, Dobermans are generally easier to train than Rottweilers. Rotts tend to be a more stubborn breed than Dobes and aren't really willing to please their owners at all for the first few years of their life. Females generally are easier than the males when it comes to training for Rotties. Of course, all dogs are different but this is what I've seen and experienced.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Dober_addict said:
I forgot to add in my above post that Rottweilers do require grooming, unlike Dobermans.
All breeds need grooming; short coated breeds should be groomed with a soft brush or a rubber glove brush to help remove loose and 'dead' hair. Running a damp towel over them afterwards doesn't hurt. Also, all dogs need their nails clipped, teeth brushed (if needed), ears cleaned, and bathed when they get dirty. All dogs need grooming, some breeds or individuals just require less. ;)

----

As for the original topic, I can't really answer. I've never seriously researched Rottweilers, nor do I have much personal experience with them other than the ones I have worked with while volunteering at the local animal shelter.

I will say though that I've never met a drooling Doberman, but a good portion, at least half, of the Rotties I have met have been droolers. I personally find drool to be the most disgusting thing ever. *laughs*

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Pippinislove said:
All breeds need grooming; short coated breeds should be groomed with a soft brush or a rubber glove brush to help remove loose and 'dead' hair. Running a damp towel over them afterwards doesn't hurt. Also, all dogs need their nails clipped, teeth brushed (if needed), ears cleaned, and bathed when they get dirty. All dogs need grooming, some breeds or individuals just require less. ;)

I will say though that I've never met a drooling Doberman, but a good portion, at least half, of the Rotties I have met have been droolers. I personally find drool to be the most disgusting thing ever. *laughs*

What I meant by grooming is that Rottweilers really require constant upkeep because of their thicker coat, while Dobies just need to be brushed with a rubber glove every once in a while. I know that all breeds need grooming. I didn't include teeth, ears, nails etc. because that's pretty obvious seeing as all dogs need that. To me, rubbing a dog down with a rubber glove isn't what I'd consider 'grooming'. Maybe that's because I do actually groom dogs so when I say grooming it generally means, trimming, brushing etc. Maybe I just didn't word my previous post well enough.

As far as drooling goes, none of my Rottweilers have been droolers, neither have most other Rotts I know or have met before. They, and my Dobermans both drool for food though at times but other than that I wouldn't call them big droolers...

·
Registered
107 Posts
Dober_addict said:
As far as drooling goes, none of my Rottweilers have been droolers, neither have most other Rotts I know or have met before. They, and my Dobermans both drool for food though at times but other than that I wouldn't call them big droolers...
Most (if not all) of the Rotties I've met/worked with have been from shelters. I don't know where you got your Rotties but it might be in part to bad breeding that they're droolers. *shrug*

I wouldn't call them -big- droolers either, I was just saying that about half of the ones I have met have drooled.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Yeah I've never met a drooling Rottie either, but some of these dogs are bred so big now a days (shame shame) , maybe that has something to do with it. Seems the larger the dog, the looser those lips can be.

I remember the biggest darn rottie I've ever seen at 150 lbs when I was a vet tech. His name was Bear (appropriately named) and his owners brought him in monthly for nail trims. We had to sedate him and still I had to lay on him and he could throw me around. The vet I worked for didn't put him all the way out, he just tranqed him enough to slow him up. (yeah I think it would have knocked a buffalo out ;)) Course he wasn't a drooler either even at that size, so that might knock my theory out of the water :).

I can't complain at the owners of Bear because they took him in, but as for the breeders of such a mammoth dog, why didn't they just get into mastiffs or something bigger in the first place rather than mess with what was a fine size to start out with? Oh well, we have the same problem with dobies too I guess.

·
just a member
2,996 Posts
I have heard that the drooling was caused by not having a tight lip line. I heard this from a rottie owner many years ago. He explained that its in the breeding that causes this loose lip line..... I have a rescued cat, that had a broken jaw as a kitten and everytime she purrs alot, she drools, but this is probably caused by the jaw line being alittle mis-aligned.....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts