Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Came across this forum a couple hours ago. Awesome forum. Am not yet a doberman owner, but hopefully will be bringing home a red male in about three months. One thing my wife and i are concerned about are our cats. 10 year old male, and a 8 year old female. Both cats are very outgoing and playful with each other. Always involved with what we are doing. Not the kind of cats that hang out in one corner of the house all day. Very social. We don't worry that the dog will hurt the cats, but we don't want the cats to feel like they need to hang out under the beds the rest of their lives. Anyone have any experience bringing home a put to a couple of adult cats. Also, both cats have claws on front paws. Advise would be great. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Welcome to the forum!
I think most of the members here have cats and Dobes and I don't think anyone has had any serious problems. I know when we brought Chihiro home, our cat YoYo was a little put out for a few weeks or so. Chi would drive him nuts and stalk him constantly! But after getting smacked in the face a couple of times by the fully armed kitty, she's backed off :)
Now, they sleep together and groom each other. On occassion Chi will get a little too carried away and I will jump in and make her stop but for the most part, they live in harmony. :)
I have an area for YoYo that is blocked by a baby gate so he can get away from the dogs when he wants to too. I also keep his food elevated so the dogs can't get to it and he can eat in peace.
If your cats aren't used to dogs, they may hold their grudge a little longer but I'm sure they'll eventually come around :)

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
All 3 of my Dobermans have lived with cats. You just have to teach the pup not to chase down the cats.
It will be an adjustment period for the cats. I'm glad they still have their claws. My first boy was taught some important lessons from a few scratches.
He learned to respect "Bubba".
The Doberman and cat I have now sleep together and play together. My Dobermans have been big on "niggling" my cats just with their front teeth. It's just play and none of my cats seemed to mind it.
Just remember Dobermans have a strong prey drive and to teach the puppy the cats are not prey!

·
Registered
323 Posts
GKar does the "niggling" thing too, I will find little tufts of cat hair every once in while but Mary never cries and continues playing so I leave them alone. I currently have two strange cats living here and he ignores one of them but gets a great deal of joy tormenting the other one but never really tries to hurt it. Mary dislikes the same cat that GKar does so it could be her fault.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses. what i expect is exactly what you guys said. When i first bring the pup home should i leave him crated for a while? If yes how long? I guess what i am really wanting to know is the best way to acclimate the pup to the cats for the first day or two that will eliminate as much shock as possible.

·
Registered
323 Posts
See how your cats reacts to your pup and go from there. As long as your cats have a safe place to get to where the dog can not go the animals will work this out among themselves. There are no hard rules, it is different every time.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I've never had any problems introducing a pup to my cats. The cats make it perfectly clear that they rule the roost, and the newcomer just has to learn to fit in with them. So they always lived in harmony, and quite loving to each other.

My latest addition of an adult dobe was a whole different scenario though. Dobes like to poke at things with their face, cats don't particularly like being poked by a dobe's face! So through a process of crating the cat, dog on leash and just letting them get used to each other, they slowly gained acceptance of one another.

I do the same as TracyJo, I couldn't live without my baby gate. I like to give the cats a couple of hours per day of perfect solitude!!! When Jeddah has full run of the house, the cats are usually on the beds, she will just ignore them 98% of the time. Then every now and then she can't help herself, she just has to go a poke a cat! They hiss and spit, she goes away. Problem solved. But I still wouldn't say Jeddah is cat proof.

You'll really have no problems whether you go with a pup or an adult, it's just a matter of consistent training. Good luck.:)

·
just a member
2,996 Posts
Introducing a pup into a household of cats will eventually work out fine. We added our girl to a household of three older cats. Around the ages of yours. At first, the pups prey drive was very high. Everytime a cat would run, she would chase the cat. It took alot of effort to get her to stop doing that. We had to make sure we stopped it before the chase began. Once the chase was on, it was too late. The cats had plenty of room to escape the pup, when ever possible, which is critical for them to feel safe. Once they feel safer, they would approach closer to the pup. This takes alot of time. It tooks months with one cat, but with the third cat, it took almost 6 months for her to be in the same room with the now larger pup.

I would have to say, our girl would insult the cats alot. Like sticking her nose all over them. Once the cats realized she would not hurt them, they started to stand their ground and swat at her. I think you need to establish that the cats are higher in the pack than the pup is.

Now at a year later, things are almost back to normal. The cats do not run from the dog. They have no problem hissing and swatting the dog and the dog respects them by not bothering them too much....It takes time, alot of time, but it will work

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Well, Now my 4 cents( you know how inflation is lol) We came home with our first Doberman puppy Raven when our cats were..6 years. Then almost a year later we added our male Spirit then about 10 months later we added Gypsy. Now the cats are almost 12 and the tabby TT still hates the dogs.. she is a little better as she will go from room to room almost past them.. but will still hiss..
Then there is CC the calico.. She has now decided she is a dog.. she wants to eat the dogs food and I have caught her grabbing a mouthful when the dogs are not looking.. she likes the dog treats.. she sometimes sleeps in the same room but not next to them.. and then there is Poor Spirit.. he is in LOVE with the CC.. he will try to lick and lick her plus he will try to mate with her.. he does not do this to anyone or anything else just CC poor cat.. as we have found out that she is allergic to the dogs spit!! Good luck and Keep the kitty box.. out of sight!!!

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
we have two cats also...one has made friends with Duchess...he will lay on the couch...or walk around the living room and duchess will just sniff him...he feels free to be able to roam..or lay on the couch with the rest of the family...however, our other cat...he likes to run away from the dogs...sometimes he chases the dogs...i dont know...I think it depends on whether the cat runs away...if they keep calm...then the dogs keep calm...if they run...they run...
Our cats scratch on the chairs in the dinning room...so when they do that we naturally go "pissss" its like our way of saying "no" to the cats...well...duchess has picked up on that...and whenever we say "pissss" she JUMPS to her feet and goes to investigate the dinning room for any kitties lol its all fun and games to them now...especially cause i think the dogs are actually afraid of the cat when it chases them

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks for all the responses and different experiences. Anyone ever have a problem though with a resident cat feeling the need to mark their teritory when the new dog got there?
thanks

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Not here, I had cats before I had dogs 8-9 years ago, and they didn't have an issue with bringing the dog in. They may have sulked a bit, but that was it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Well, finally got my dog, his name is Jax! Cats seem to be doing fine. Older male is just taking it in stride. Younger female cat is a little standoffish, but 100 times better than when we tried to bring a new cat home a couple of years ago. Dog is only six weeks old. Have had him two days. Last night Jax got a little close to Mickey (10 year old male), and he took a couple of hard swats at the dog, knocking him to the ground. Mickey did not extract his front claws thogh, telling me he has no desire to hurt the cat, just to let him know he is in charge. Anyway, happy home so far. Thanks for all the responses

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Congratualtions on all of your surviving the first couple of days. Tho we do need some pictures of Jax. How did you get him so young? most breeders won't give them up before 8 weeks? Can't wait to see the baby pictures!

cc

1 - 15 of 15 Posts