Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Male Doberman pup is 10 weeks old and only 14.2 pounds. The internet is a mixed bag, but general consensus is he's small for his age. He is eating about 3/4 cup 3x a day. Should I begin to really worry?

He hasn't been dewormed yet but will be on Saturday, although I've seen no sign of worms in his poop.

I know it could be a host of reasons why he's on the small side right now, but any info or advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Big Lil pup
6,121 Posts
I personally don't find pushing 15 lb. at 10 weeks to be on the small side. Puppies all have a different growth curve.

Folks used to say that for a male, once they noticeably started to grow, expect an average of 10lb./month. So... a five month old male might weigh 50lb., a 6month old, 60lb.

Over the years, I've found that this a very simplistic POV. My current youngest was a big boned monster as a young pup. I really did not want another really large dog, but my attitude was:"Oh Well..."

Suddenly a just under 7 months he stopped growing. He did, over a couple of years, gain more muscle mass and a bit of height. Today (at 4+ yo.)he is a very average sized male. I keep him at about 83-85 lb. He would like to weigh more.LOL

I have had males that have ranged from best weights of mid to high 60's up to pushing 95 lb.

It's just where they were meant to be.

Give your pup quality medical care, proper exercise, and nutrition, and he will end up where he is meant to be.

JMO

John
Portland OR

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
24,839 Posts
If you'd like to post a picture, we could maybe tell you if he's a good weight for his size....because that is really the important thing.

After we finish getting our puppy picture fix, that is.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He does look a bit thin from a top view, but yes I agree that letting him grow at his own pace is the best approach. I just wanted an opinion on whether he requires vet intervention.

So in your experience you would say 14.2 at 10 weeks is completely acceptable? Nothing to worry about yet?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Mine was 13 lbs at 10weeks. And is now 50 pounds at 10months and holding steady Shes healthy, just really small. We freefed her trying to get weight on her but nothing helped. Shes just a petite dog

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Got mutt?
13,603 Posts
I'm less concerned with his weight in this picture than I am his ears. He doesn't look too thin to me, but his left ear appears to have raw, open areas on the cut edge and it looks like there is blood on the tape. Ears shouldn't be posted until the are completely healed.

Reactions: LadyDi
1 - 8 of 8 Posts