Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have about 7 - 10 feral/stray cats that live in the woods behind my house -Everyday they come near my house and use it for shade, which makes it a not so safe environment for the Doberman puppy who is 6 months now. The Cats can't be driven away from my yard and I am scared to let my puppy have his play time outside..since he seems to want to go after the Cats. If the cats ran away it would be a different story,these cats want to fight back against the dog. There was a couple instances were the Cat took swipes at the Dog. There seems to be 2 main cats that are very stubborn - the rest run away when they see us.
Since they are Feral/Stray I am not sure if they carry any diseases and also if my puppy will get hurt if he comes close to these cats.

Any suggestions on what to do? I hate the fact that I can't let my puppy roam in our own backyard without being scared that he might get into an altercation with an unwelcomed cat.
Another bad habit - which I was able to stop - the Dog is very curious about the feces that the cat may leave behind and have eaten it a couple times. Luckily this hasn't happened in a month -

I checked the local area law - and they want the land owner to catch the cats and bring them into the SPCA. I must admit, these are clever cats - and I personally don't know if I want to try and catch them.

Should I let my dog chase them away, even if it means the dog might get hurt? Anything I can put out to deter these cats?

Any help would be great.

Thank you in Advance

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
I would not let a puppy chase them or an adult dog for that matter. Cats can be very dangerous. Puppyies can get injured and even lose an eye in an instant.

I would see if you can rent some traps and trap them.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I would not let a puppy chase them or an adult dog for that matter. Cats can be very dangerous. Puppyies can get injured and even lose an eye in an instant.

I would see if you can rent some traps and trap them.
Im sure you meant "live" traps but had to post....:emo11:

·
Registered
9,449 Posts

·
Like a Ninja
3,916 Posts
I agree with Adara...

I'd see if your local Humane Society will rent out som Live traps, and trap them... Canned cat food works amazing, and if they like the shade put the trap in the shade...

For even sneakier approach if they are smart like you say... Camoflage the trap...

·
Registered
65 Posts
Stray cats can carry leptospirosis, bordatella, rabies, a variety of worms and a bunch of other diseases and gross stuff. Hopefully you're little guy is vaccinated! Keep him away from any poo.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I don't think you'd have to turn the hose on them too many times to make your yard and house unattractive. If you have to: a friend of mine used to trap cats in live traps, roll the trap all over the yard, yell and bang on the trap with a trash can lid, and hose the cat in the trap, and let them go... they did NOT come back LOL! If you trap them and have someone remove them or have them taken to a shelter, they will get whacked. If there is a feral program where you live and you know someone else's property/farm where they would be welcome, you could trap, sterilize, vaccinate once, and re-locate.

·
Registered
6,775 Posts
I used to be awesome at luve trapping cats. I evwn caught two in one "shot". I start by putting the trap whever you want to trap the cats. You need to put a stick in the trap to keep it from going off. Put a can of food in there everyday, feed them on top of the cage in front of the cage around the cage. Get rhe cats on a schedule of feeding. Keep feeding them for a few weeks until they come to expext the food everynight. Thwn when you feel they aren't threatened by the trap, you can begin trapping them. First you'll want to skip a feeding the day before you want to trap the cats. Then get really yummy smelly canned cat food, you can even warm it up and set the trap and leave. Wirhin hours you will catch a cat.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
This wont be popular, but if there was a wild cat preventing me from using my backyard and threatening me and my dog, I would have no problem shooting it if I lived where shooting a rifle was legal. They are not a natural preditor and kill many species of birds which are having a hard enough time surving now anyway. I have some pictures of a nest of baby Cardinals who were dead and gone the very next morning after I took the picture. Who hasnt seen a cat with fledgling while the parents helplessly protest from the nearest bush. All their work for naught. I think shooting is less stressful and more humane for the cat. Why put it thru the capture, transport, and exposure to humans only to be killed anyway. I dont see terrifying the cat, then putting it down as more humane. Plus some of the methods used to put the cat down are not so humane. Calling it, put to sleep, is not exactly accurate either. All feral cats are destroyed. They dont find happy homes as they cant be tamed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you for all of your responses, they have been very helpful!! I've decided to set traps for them and get them out of my yard.
Thank You again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts