Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi... im planning to buy either a labrador puppy or a doberman puppy. If ever i will prefer to buy a doberman puppy, could you please give me some tips or advise in looking for one? Right now, im having hard time trying to think what to buy. Can you please give me or at least enumerate some weaknesses or strenghts of both labrador and a doberman.

·
Registered
421 Posts
If you go to a good breeder eitheir is great but they key is going to a great breeder.

A lab is a great dog. They are friendly to just about everyone and love to play. If someone brolk in they would help them tie you up and take out the tvs:tongue23: My parents bred them when I was little and I love them to death but for the moment its dobes for me. If I ever have kids I am getting a yellow lab again though,just because its some weird sentimental thing in my head!

A dobe is also a great dog and friendly but they are a little more aware of everyone around them. My boy loves kids and is extremely gentle and almost lab like with them and if they grow up with them there is no reason it wouldn't be that way.

I think the best thing to do would be to read up on both breeds and visit some breeders and shows. Have you ever owned a more assertive dog before? If not I would go for the lab and think about a dobe later. But if you find a breeder that is willing to be there with you there is no reason a dobe wouldn't work. Could you say more what your lifestlye is like? What you want to do with the dog?

Here is what to look for in a good breeder
http://www.chazhound.com/forums/showthread.php?t=787

In both labs and dobes make sure they helath test and do not breed oversized dogs. Saying the vet oked it is not enough. In dobes no whites.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Here is the link to an article on buying a Doberman - although it's specifically for Dobes, the advice given carries through to all breeds and breeders - http://members.execulink.com/~korevaar/buyingguide.htm

The most important thing to do (for both breeds) is your homework. If it seems to good to be true, it is. Both breeds have a list of health issues - you need to make sure the breeder you choose performs all the necessary health tests on their animals and only breeds the best of the best to ensure healthy, sound pets.

I'm not familiar with Labs like Joce is - but I've known a few and have always thought they were very affable yet goofy dogs :) Dobes are pretty goofy too. I think a lot of your decision is going to have to be based on what you want out of your dog. If you want a companion and running buddy, than either breed will do. If you want a swimming partner that will help the intruders tie you up (good image, Joce :) than the Lab is your guy. On the other hand, if you want a dog that is inherently protective - look closer at the Dobe.
Generally speaking from my experience - a lab is a "I love everybody and everybody loves me" type of dog and a Dobe is a "I worship my family - even though I'm smarter than they are - and will tolerate others if I have to but I really only truly adore my family" type of dog. I would imagine that the time put into training and socializing a Doberman would far exceed the amount needed for a Lab. Not that Labs are smarter but Dobermans are or can be fiercely protective and need tons of socialization.

Good luck with your decision and keep us posted :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks TracyJo and Joce.. it's hard to make a decision.. I found this labrador puppy, which is only 5000 pesos (less than US$100 if converted). I'm here in the Philippines. But the regular price for such breed or the labrador is more than US$190. I think i was just lucky in a way that i found a lab puppy which is only 5000 pesos. While a doberman puppy on the other hand, has the regular price ranging from US$100-120 or 5000 pesos. If I'm going a doberman puppy after 5 months, the price is still 5000-6000 pesos. But if I'm going to buy a lab puppy after 5 months, I don't think i will still be able to find a labrador puppy which is as low as 5000 pesos. What do you think?

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
I think you have to be careful on basing your decision according to price. Of course price is a factor but you have to remember no matter what breed you choose, you get what you pay for. A less expensive pup raises a red flag - makes you wonder if the breeders have done their job in providing all possible health tests and screening. On the other hand, a more expensive pup doesn't automatically equal quality either.
Personally, I think you need to decide what you want out of a dog before you choose. Although they share some common traits (willingness to please, probably about the same activity level) they are completely different dogs that will take different amounts of work when it comes to training and socialization.
If you just say "hey, I might as well settle on this lab pup because it's here and cheaper" you may end up regretting it in the long run. Look at several litters and talk to several quality breeders of both breeds before you decide.
When you think about it,this is a decision that will be with you for 10+ years. Do you really want to rush it? What's the hurry? Take your time and it will pay off in the long run.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
I wholeheartedly agree. This is a long term commitment that you are getting into, as for the differences and points of strengths between the two breeds, they are both two very different breeds, you can read up quite a bit on both on the internet. But when it comes down to it, your best bet is to find a good breeder or a person experienced with one or the other breed, and really talk to them, spend some time with their dogs, and really find what breed best suits your lifestyle.

Dobies are active dogs that want to be with their person. They thrive on having a job in their life. Unsocialized, unworked, untrained, they can be a liablility to own. If you have a busy lifestyle, they may not fit for you. There are many health issues that can plague the breed, so it's very important to look for a good breeder that is knowledgeable about this, and health tests their dogs. That probably isn't going to be the "cheaper" costing dog you find, regardless of the breed. If you skimp on the health testing to get a less expensive dog, you may find yourself really paying out later in both money and heartache down the road.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts