Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Benf223
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

I am new to this forum and am looking for some good advice. I have an 11 month old female doberman named Kimber.

BACKGROUND
She has been an all around awesome dog and we've never had any agression issues toward our children or anyone else. FACTS: We have a 4year old and 2year old and 1 other Boxer dog (6yrs) named Lucy.
Kimber is very obedient and knows all of the basic commands and is fully trained off and on leash. She also is very well socialized and comes to my work everyday where she is exposed to dozens of people a day. In addition she gets her dog park time 3-4 days a week

HELP

Tonight while at the cabin Kimber was laying next to me on the couch. My 2 year old proceeded to climb on the couch next to me. As he was doing this Kimber without warning made an aggressive growl and lashed out at his face. Luckily I caught her muzzle in time and no blood was shed. Like I said Kimber has NEVER had any issues and has always been very very good with our children.

What should I do?

Please any advice

·
Registered
907 Posts
Was she sleeping? It's very possible that your son startled her out of sleep and it was unintended. How was interaction with the dog and your child after the event?

That said, if ever you notice any significant behavioral changes, I'd suggest getting the thyroid checked.

·
Bad Wolf
960 Posts
If this was my situation, the following would take place.
1. Dog would lose couch/bed/futon/any elevated furniture privileges. Indefinitely.
2. Dog would be put on strict NILF. Nothing in life is free. Open the crate, dog must sit. Open the patio door, dog must down. Food? I might even hand feed, asking for commands every kibble if I have enough time. Might ask for a command before putting the bowl down. All depends on time. The only thing that is free is water. Everything in life has a cost.
3. Get a referral to an excellent dog trainer. Go to trainer.
4. Never, EVER leave my dog and baby alone.

This might seem a little harsh. It's not. Your dog will be in for a shock but you need to nip this in the bud.

Can you tell us a little of what Kimber's normal day would look like?

·
Registered
16,038 Posts
I would not allow Kimber back on the furniture until you have figured out what is wrong.

I would but her on the "Nothing in Life is Free" training program. Test her thyroid and then go from there. I suggest using Hemopet for the thyroid check. Your vet cannot do an in-house test that is thorough enough and Dr Dodds at Hemopet is familiar with dobes. Check out her site and get the form.

·
Benf223
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Kimber was not sleeping at the time.

Kimber is always put in the sit position before feedings, being let out, and typically before receiving affection. Also my children both feed her often and have played with her while eating since she was 10 weeks old.

Immediately after the event I placed Kimber on her back in a submissive manner and held her there for a few minutes. She knew she made a mistake and is currently acting pretty doscile.

Kimber is pretty use to the kids crawling around and has never ever shown aggression toward them. My concern is that she was possibly "guarding" me or potentially threatened by my son coming into the situation while she was receiving attention??

·
Banned
7,405 Posts
Immediately after the event I placed Kimber on her back in a submissive manner and held her there for a few minutes. She knew she made a mistake and is currently acting pretty doscile.
Ugh.

I would find a good behaviorist/trainer once a medical issue has been ruled out.

·
Registered
6,698 Posts
vet first, then behaviorist. and please, avoid people who go by Cesar Milan's books.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
vet first, then behaviorist. and please, avoid people who go by Cesar Milan's books.
This times 1000. Please be careful. Keep Kimber from hurting herself in the long run by managing managing managing the situation.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
I have to agree with the members who said Vet and Behaviorist. Only someone who has seen her in person can truly help you.

I'm in your area, can I ask who bred Kimber? Does her breeder know what you're going through?

·
Registered
367 Posts
If this unusual behavior for her definitely go the Vet it could be health related as others have suggested if that is ruled out, sounds like she was protecting what she thinks she owns: you or the couch, time to see a trainer/behaviorist.

·
Premium Member
8,031 Posts
Please do not do that putting a dog on its back and holding it down has been proven it does nothing but make any situation worse. Even the Monks of New Skette do not advise it any longer it is so very old school its back in the dark ages.

·
Super Moderator
21,546 Posts

·
Registered
16,038 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Maybe thinking she needs to protect you or something. At the moment she needs to be taken off the couch and put on the ground. After she is on the ground wait for her to lay down. Do not make her lay down just act like she is not there until she lays down. Do not let her back on the couch(at less for a while).

·
Benf223
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

I actually did see this commentary before I purchased Kimber. I have to say that there is definitely some personal battles being surfaced here. I am friends with the breeder on Facebook and have to say I see posts very frequently of her doing shows and also winning very often. When I picked Kimber up I was pretty impressed. Upon driving onto the property I was greeted by 3 very happy and very well socialized Dobey adults. The Breeder does quote bible passages on her web page but can tell you based on what I've seen she practices what she preaches.

I am new to this forum and I appreciate all of the valuable info although have to say I am a little suspect because of the personal attacks of that forum. With that being said I have sent the breeder a message and will keep you posted as to our progress.

Also I'd love to meet up with any fellow Dobey owners in the Twin Cities area! Message me!

·
Benf223
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I hope you stick around and learn if all you saw in that thread was personal battles.
I did see some valuable information however what often dilutes this said information is ignorance and emotion. The day a person stops learning is the day their ego surpasses their intelligence. So yes I will stick around; but not to waste my time on passive aggressive childish comments such as yours; which, all in all is amuzingly ironic.

Is the breeder I used questionable to some? Maybe..
Fact, Kimber is an awesome dog by my standards and my family loves her. She will not be bred or showed and so are ONLY priority is companionship.

I would love to organize a MN meet up and plesse keep the advice coming!

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Is the breeder I used questionable to some? Maybe..
Fact, Kimber is an awesome dog by my standards and my family loves her. She will not be bred or showed and so are ONLY priority is companionship.
Yet you're here because she bit your child.

What has your breeder done to help you with her up to this point? What advice has she given you as far as the bite?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts