Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Odin is a chewer. A serious chewer. He has never been destructive to any human goods other than a few socks, but he goes through toys like water. The only things that last more than a day is a large original style kong and a large nylabone. I have tried other kong products and just about anything that was advertised as "chew-proof" or "extra tough." These are no problem for my little man. He loves ropes and unstuffed animals but they never last. That and as I only outweigh him by about 30lbs, tug ropes are futile. Does anyone have a favorite product or brand to recommend?

Any price is good, even the most expensive has got to be cheaper than continually buying toys.

·
Registered
895 Posts
I have an assortment of different kongs- everything from the frisbee (supervised play only, as it cannot withstand my boy's jaws otherwise), to the treat dispenser, to the regular toys. I alternate them so he doesn't get bored. I also bought him a jolly ball (horse size) which has been holding up very well. I would strongly suggest getting rid of the ropes- I immediately tossed all of them once my boy started chewing up the first one. Small pieces of rope can cause serious intestinal damage, so are not worth the risk.

I also buy the heavy duty nylabones, and they tend to last at least a couple of weeks.

He has 2 skinneez (unstuffed furry toy) that he likes and doesn't chew up (so far anyway), and his favorite tug toy is his kong Wubba. (Fair warning though, it is the most irritating squeak I have EVER heard).

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The ropes have been gone since he was big enough to pull me over (so a few months old). He does have a jolly ball, he chews the handle a bit, but otherwise it's good. It's just too big for the house. He actually mistook my 15lb kettle bell for it the other day. I've tried the medium skinneez but my two boys play tug until they rip in half. I saw they came out with larger ones. Are they any tougher?

·
Registered
895 Posts
No, not really... Our local pet store did have a very heavy cordura tug toy series, can't remember the name of it- but they looked/felt pretty durable.

And the Jolly lives in the yard at my house, for the exact reason you mentioned :)

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
We moved so I kept my girls favorite toys out the ball it let's air in and out,she also loves her purple cow which she could chew it up in minutes but its her baby and she loved it.... kongs I hide treats in them...she loves balls..I've stayed away from tennis balls she almost choked on one

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
sadder but wiser girl
9,688 Posts
Willie absolutely adored his large Cuz. You have to be tolerant of the very squeaky noise it makes, but it's been used by several Dobes and our current youngster, a mutt who seems to be part Lab, part GSD, part bully breed and part ?cattle dog. We have several types of Kongs, including the one that is a treat dispenser. Also, ours have all loved Wubbas. The fuzzy or cutesy ones aren't as tough as the regular large or X-large ones. They also squeak, but it's not obnoxious, and the dogs all love how the 'legs' fly around when they shake them... we've had a couple of them for over 5 years. I also get cow femurs from the butcher at the supermarket - they saw them into 7 -9" segments for me, and the dogs love to gnaw on them. They can be given raw, or baked for a short while at about 250-275 degrees - maybe 1/2 hour. You can also freeze them, which they enjoy. too, especially in summer. I make my own braided fleece tug toys, because I can make them a lot tighter and thicker than store-bought ones, and incorporate dense rubber rings or other objects - we have several of those which have been through 5 Dobes, and are still 'in service'. Oh - and we also like the Busy Buddy bone - you fit compressed rawhide rings at either end, but even after they wear down, the bine itself seems to be very attractive to them. Our first Dobe was a HUGE chewer, so maybe these will work for you? Good luck!

·
Registered
6,959 Posts
West Paw Zogoflex toys are pretty dang tough.

Reactions: lolonurse

·
Registered
230 Posts
Lol soooo true on the big bad cuz tolerance!! It can driver u crazy!! Kade got first jolly ball yesterday. ..popped it in lesa than 30mins...now I gotta buy 2. 1 for bosses new colt and 1 for kade. Antlers work reeeal well I find and the kong bone toys

·
59 Posts
Antlers have to be the best chew toy.
Orignal kongs or rubber balls are my favourite throwing toys.
Tug toys I use these kong toys, good for two dogs to tug with too, they last much longer than anything else but not forever unfortunately, they don't get chewed until broken but it's the repeated twisted action which eventually ends up splitting it and the split snaps, they last ages though and still usuable.
Ropes are the best but as every knows they need replacing regularly, they don't make them like they used to, had a big one as a kid for our massive rotty which outlasted the dog and she'd always be playing with it, unfortunately got lost after, funny how much you can miss a great rope lol

·
Registered
477 Posts
I purchased a bad cuz made by JW and it was demolished in seconds.

I've had luck with the Bionic toys that someone else mentioned as well as black extreme kongs and the kong wobbler. The tug jug has survived a few months, minus the rope being chewed within a few minutes.

I plan to try the west paw brand soon.

All other toys are destroyed very quickly.

·
Dobes stole my heart <3
3,418 Posts
I think I need to test these bionic toys .. my girls have destroyed just about every so called tough toy there is.

·
Super Moderator
22,318 Posts
Willie absolutely adored his large Cuz. !
West Paw Zogoflex toys are pretty dang tough.
My kids like Tuffies toys, they do get distroyed still but take longer than normal toys.
Richter has destroyed all of the above, very easily.

Thank you all sooo much!!! Looks like I have some shopping to do. Odin's going to be one happy boy.

Please report back (anyone) if you try the Bionic toys...I'm skeptical :)

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I just ordered a bionic (and others) from entirelypets.com. They have great sale prices and flat rate shipping of $4.95. Would be a great resource for Secret Santas! I will post reviews once the toys arrive.

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
Black kong, Kong Ball, Westpaw.com Hurly bone,Big Antler, Buddy is a very aggressive chewer he has a blue egg got at Leerburg.com, there is a red ball in the back yard has been around though GSD,AM Staff, 3 Bouvier's still back there Buddy noses it around some way back when I bought it at least 35 years ago they advertised them for Lions. It use to have a screw in it where you could unscrew it put water or sand in the ball but the screw died long time ago but the ball is still good.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts