Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am new here and would like to subscribe to one of the Doberman magazines. In your opinion, which magazine is best? I want to read current health issues, breeder interviews and overall general Doberman Pinscher topics. I am a person considering buying a doberman in the next year or so. Really just want to read stories and look at pictures etc to get more familar with the breed and people who own, show and breed them. And maybe who's doing what with their dogs, showing Obedience working agility etc.

thank you for any input you have!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Welcome. Check around the educational archives. There's plenty of info on the site about many of the health problems, a lot of general info and some people are even breeders. Also, a ton of pictures. If you have any questions there will undoubtedly be someone who knows the answer or can find a link with the answer. Also check out the search feature and see if any of your questions are already answered. :)

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
a lot of the information you can find in a magazine you can find here as well. There are breeders here as well as Doberman owners, you can ask questions and get answers right away. I don't know much about the magazines as I have not subscribed to any.

Reactions: Beaumont67

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I get both and I couldn't pick a favorite. I think DPM might be better for what you're looking for simply because they haven't been around as long as DD. They try harder. This month they are both skinny but the DPM had a list of every dobe and what AKC performance title they won in 2011. DD tends to be more ads which don't always impart much info.

·
Registered
16,038 Posts
I think that is a great idea! You should get a good idea of what a doberman with good conformation is supposed to look like. You will find a certain style appeals to you more than others and search out breeders who produce that style. Just remember not to get TOO star struck. Be sure to remember health is important. You can research pedigrees of dogs you admire for health issues. You are making a smart move to inform yourself way before you purchase. This forum is a wealth of information as is the D.P.C.A. website. Dont forget to attend all the shows you can. If you want to speak with a breeder, make sure they arent busy or getting ready to go into the ring as they are preoccupied and likely to brush you off, giving you the wrong impression. Good luck! I wish everyone would put this much thought into their selection of a doberman puppy.:)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thank you for the great advice. This forum is a great source of info and in a short time I have learned a lot. I think being informed as much as I can before I jump in helps with the ultimate outcome. Like you said I don't know the lines and various types breeders tend to breed but that's why I am here. This will be my first doberman but by far not my first dog.

I laughed when you said star struck. I think I already am! All the great dogs I have seen here already. All kidding aside, the magazines are sort of like fashion magazines about dogs. Really great pictures but mostly just to look at. Hopefully some of the articles would be helpful. I use this forum a lot more for real day to day info. I use a lot of electronic media but in some ways still old fashioned when it comes to reading. Books on dogs are always better "in hand" even if it is just looking at the pictures sometimes:p

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
I always preferred it, but I think the DPM is losing ground fast. If I was only going to subscribe to one, I'd subscribe to the Digest, I think it has the best chance of surviving.

·
Premium Member
8,344 Posts
I always preferred it, but I think the DPM is losing ground fast. If I was only going to subscribe to one, I'd subscribe to the Digest, I think it has the best chance of surviving.
I've got to agree with Murreydobe. I subscribe to both and actually gave up my Dobe Digest for a couple of years. However, the DPM seems to be losing ground so I picked the Digest back up.

I really don't think that there is enough business for two Doberman magazines to survive.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts