Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Ghost will pose for me, but I'm no photographer! I had a pentax k50 (lol) but it has an aperture issue so i just use my phone.
Those are beautiful shots!
Hey Jay Maisel is quoted as saying “the best camera is the one you have with you.”
Can you try it in P mode? Otherwise, shoot on that phone...and post your favorite here!

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Another pic that turned out pretty good entirely by accident:

Gorgeous! I love a good motion blur and you got a great expression nice and sharp!

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Ghost will pose for me, but I'm no photographer! I had a pentax k50 (lol) but it has an aperture issue so i just use my phone.
Those are beautiful shots!
What a gorgeous face! The ears look amazing, too!

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,505 Posts
Gorgeous! I love a good motion blur and you got a great expression nice and sharp!
Usually I get the wrong thing in motion

Perhaps you can tell me what happened with this one? (picture cropped way down so you can see the "motion".) I actually like some of my "mistakes" better than my supposedly good photos.

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Usually I get the wrong thing in motion

Perhaps you can tell me what happened with this one? I actually like some of my "mistakes" better than my supposedly good photos.
I have a few motion blur ”mistakes” that ended up being purchased as fine art images so I am all for keeping everything and reviewing once out of the camera (never delete anything in camera).
The the second one, I’d have to see your settings but I’d tell you: the composition is great, the white balance could be a bit better (whiter snow rather than blue) and I’d want to know if you were spot metering, evaluative or center. That can have a great effect on the image focus and light. It is still a great shot! Were you run over? :ROFLMAO:

·
Super Moderator
26,505 Posts
Phooey on the composition LOL I cropped it down so you could see her better--she's actually a bit of a distance away.

And settings?? What are those?? 🤣 You must think I know what I am doing.

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Phooey on the composition LOL I cropped it down so you could see her better--she's actually a bit of a distance away.

And settings?? What are those?? 🤣 You must think I know what I am doing.
Hahaha!!! We can have an “office hours” to cover the basics. Here is one of my favorite studio shots I ever took of a dog. It was a Doberman/GSP mix who was huge, sweet, and so very photogenic. He was my first Doberman-adjacent experience and I was in love. 3 light set-up, 1 off-camera left, 2 behind the dog aimed at the white sweep. 24-70mm 2.8 lens.

·
Super Moderator
22,033 Posts
Some day I need to actually learn how to use my camera, lol. I do have a DSLR (an old, "intro" level one), but I just use the preset settings. I simply have never had time to learn. But my photos turn out okay, so I just leave it as-is! I use Photoshop Lightroom Classic to edit, so that helps :) I have my Flickr set to public, so you're welcome to drop in...it's all just my dog and cat photos, and then my dogs' trial photos that I purchased uploaded.

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
For @dobebug and @melbrod - I was setting up and toying with grids to mimic a fresnel light without pulling out the snoot and I had the light too low....anyway, I thought you would both enjoy the mistake image. It looks like one of those “instagram vs. reality” set ups.🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

·
Super Moderator
26,505 Posts
🤣 I think we need a dopey dog calendar month. LOL (You realize I say that in the nicest way possible.) It's like seeing pictures of the "beautiful people" in Hollywood before and after their makeup.

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
🤣 I think we need a dopey dog calendar month. LOL (You realize I say that in the nicest way possible.) It's like seeing pictures of the "beautiful people" in Hollywood before and after their makeup.
I knew you’d appreciate this. I think a #derpdog calendar would be amazing!!!

·
Premium Member
Mocha
4,126 Posts
As the ennui of 2020 begins to wear off, I am making a conscious effort to chill the eff out and do more of what brings me joy. The things that bring me the most joy are my dog, travel and photography. In fact, I used to make my living as a photographer but by the time I moved back to DC, I was sick of people and tired of the business of it all so I all but stopped shooting. I had a few clients through 2019 and then 2020 happened and it has been months since I picked up an actual camera.

But, Thursday night I pulled everything out of storage, cameras, lenses, lighting and have committed to myself to shoot something each day, even if it is just a photo of the cathedral, the puppy, or my dinner. So, here are two shots of Beau from yesterday using my 60mm 2.8 lens.

I played for about an hour, switching between lenses and trying different lighting set-ups. The first shot uses the ambient light from the windows and was augmented by a speedlight resting on the back of the sofa and aimed at the camera and I do love lens flare. The second shot is all window light. I don’t love heavily processed shots but each image got color balanced and a contract bump. I had forgotten just how much I enjoyed the craft of assessing the scene and mentally figuring out the sethings. It helps to have a willing victim.....model, that is. 😁
View attachment 138749

View attachment 138750

In Arizona, I used to do charity events where I would set up at a local doggie day care and slot people and their dogs in for mini-sessions with the bulk of the proceeds going to a particular charity. They were always crazy events that were exhausting and super fun. Maybe I’ll start that again?

What about you? Do your dogs like to pose for you or do they run when they see the lens?

Thanks for looking!
Great shots. Mocha is no fan of any camera, be it one of my Canons or my cellphone. She'll watch me intently, ears up, beautiful poses, until the second I lift the camera then she finds anything and everything else interesting. I usually have to catch her unawares

21 - 40 of 42 Posts