Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the ennui of 2020 begins to wear off, I am making a conscious effort to chill the eff out and do more of what brings me joy. The things that bring me the most joy are my dog, travel and photography. In fact, I used to make my living as a photographer but by the time I moved back to DC, I was sick of people and tired of the business of it all so I all but stopped shooting. I had a few clients through 2019 and then 2020 happened and it has been months since I picked up an actual camera.

But, Thursday night I pulled everything out of storage, cameras, lenses, lighting and have committed to myself to shoot something each day, even if it is just a photo of the cathedral, the puppy, or my dinner. So, here are two shots of Beau from yesterday using my 60mm 2.8 lens.

I played for about an hour, switching between lenses and trying different lighting set-ups. The first shot uses the ambient light from the windows and was augmented by a speedlight resting on the back of the sofa and aimed at the camera and I do love lens flare. The second shot is all window light. I don’t love heavily processed shots but each image got color balanced and a contract bump. I had forgotten just how much I enjoyed the craft of assessing the scene and mentally figuring out the sethings. It helps to have a willing victim.....model, that is. 😁

In Arizona, I used to do charity events where I would set up at a local doggie day care and slot people and their dogs in for mini-sessions with the bulk of the proceeds going to a particular charity. They were always crazy events that were exhausting and super fun. Maybe I’ll start that again?

What about you? Do your dogs like to pose for you or do they run when they see the lens?

Thanks for looking!

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,505 Posts
Mine always do their good poses when my camera is in the other room. Of course, it doesn't really matter, because I can't focus the thing anyway.

But with that model and your abilities, you can't go wrong.

·
Premium Member
10,298 Posts
As the ennui of 2020 begins to wear off, I am making a conscious effort to chill the eff out and do more of what brings me joy. The things that bring me the most joy are my dog, travel and photography. In fact, I used to make my living as a photographer but by the time I moved back to DC, I was sick of people and tired of the business of it all so I all but stopped shooting. I had a few clients through 2019 and then 2020 happened and it has been months since I picked up an actual camera.

But, Thursday night I pulled everything out of storage, cameras, lenses, lighting and have committed to myself to shoot something each day, even if it is just a photo of the cathedral, the puppy, or my dinner. So, here are two shots of Beau from yesterday using my 60mm 2.8 lens.

I played for about an hour, switching between lenses and trying different lighting set-ups. The first shot uses the ambient light from the windows and was augmented by a speedlight resting on the back of the sofa and aimed at the camera and I do love lens flare. The second shot is all window light. I don’t love heavily processed shots but each image got color balanced and a contract bump. I had forgotten just how much I enjoyed the craft of assessing the scene and mentally figuring out the sethings. It helps to have a willing victim.....model, that is. 😁
View attachment 138749

View attachment 138750

In Arizona, I used to do charity events where I would set up at a local doggie day care and slot people and their dogs in for mini-sessions with the bulk of the proceeds going to a particular charity. They were always crazy events that were exhausting and super fun. Maybe I’ll start that again?

What about you? Do your dogs like to pose for you or do they run when they see the lens?

Thanks for looking!
Nice shots. I like the "In a dog's eye" one a lot.

I'm the Luddite and have a very nice camera with good lenses and have failed to learn to use it so I just enjoy other peoples pictures.

If you want to see the classic difference between a dog who is delighted to have her picture taken and will do everything except model with a rose between her teeth and her housemate who has the best pout going when it comes to pictures, take a look at some of MeadowCat's pictures of her Sypha (the Model) and Richter (the grump).

As for my own dogs I've had dogs who liked their picture taken and were photogenic and dogs that didn't and looked like they should never have seen a show ring. The worst was my very first Doberman--I have lots of terrible pictures of him because all it took for him to look bad was to be in a show ring with a judge and a good professional photographer.

dobebug/ABTLH

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mine always do their good poses when my camera is in the other room. Of course, it doesn't really matter, because I can't focus the thing anyway.

But with that model and your abilities, you can't go wrong.
Ha! Half the battle is having a camera, any camera at the end of your hand and be ready. They always do something amazing when there is no way to capture it.

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice shots. I like the "In a dog's eye" one a lot.

I'm the Luddite and have a very nice camera with good lenses and have failed to learn to use it so I just enjoy other peoples pictures.

If you want to see the classic difference between a dog who is delighted to have her picture taken and will do everything except model with a rose between her teeth and her housemate who has the best pout going when it comes to pictures, take a look at some of MeadowCat's pictures of her Sypha (the Model) and Richter (the grump).

As for my own dogs I've had dogs who liked their picture taken and were photogenic and dogs that didn't and looked like they should never have seen a show ring. The worst was my very first Doberman--I have lots of terrible pictures of him because all it took for him to look bad was to be in a show ring with a judge and a good professional photographer.

dobebug/ABTLH
Sypha is gorgeous but I will have to search for Richter’s pout.
Maybe your Doberman was like my brother in high school? if someone pulled a camera out he’d do what he could to ruin the photo. 😁 Almost every group or team photo in our yearbook had him pulling a face while walking in the background - it was rather funny, this random guy in the background of clubs in which he wasn’t even a member.

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hoss thinks cameras are stuPied.📷
But he finds a way to comply knowing a treat will come eventually.
Hoss is no dummy, he knows what’s what. Make it worth his while....I think that’s how they train us!

·
Got mutt?
13,855 Posts

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Got mutt?
13,855 Posts
Ha! Half the battle is having a camera, any camera at the end of your hand and be ready. They always do something amazing when there is no way to capture it.
Yeah, Leo never hits a perfect three point stack unless I don't have a camera handy.

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here's a pretty classic comparison of the Sypha/Richter photos:

DSC_0019 by Shanoa Delta, on Flickr
That is fantastic!! Sypha is totally there for it and Richter looks like he is contemplating running away from home or calling child protective services. 🤣

·
Registered
87 Posts
I love the shot of Beau in the light, its stunning.

My pictures are hit and miss, sometimes I get lucky. Heavy on the "sometimes" Lol.

My tug fiend, Lokka is insane for this rope.

She can't see over the wood fence, so we tell her to go look and she runs up to the upper deck!

Twinkle toes... looks like she's floating.

·
Registered
12 Posts

View attachment 138749

View attachment 138750

Thanks for looking!
Ghost will pose for me, but I'm no photographer! I had a pentax k50 (lol) but it has an aperture issue so i just use my phone.
Those are beautiful shots!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 42 Posts