Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I dont know much about dobermans, but Sadie has been called by many, a doberman mix. To see what she looks like, look here http://www.dobermantalk.com/showthread.php?t=1554 even a recent emergency vet i took her to has said she looked very much like a Doberman as well. So after hearing by many who were experienced on the matter, ive come to the conclusion she is part doberman. Now, aside trying to read up more on the breed. I was wondering what were some basic doberman traits. How do they acts, walk, communicate specifically in a way that makes them dobermans? I know Sadie has hound in her as well, also due to the constant sniffing and searching routine she goes about every time we go out. I see this in my other hound mix all the time. But she also does an odd kind of prowling walk sometimes while she sniffs, as if shes on guard. Is this a doberman trait? Any opinions and information would be lovely :D Thanks.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
I made this thread awhile ago...that you can check out...
http://www.dobermantalk.com/showthread.php?t=1296

Duchess seems to prance...light on the feet...graceful...and she is not frumpy...You should check out some of the videos people have in threads to see how most dobes run...walk...etc...I know I have posted quite a bit! so if you look at my profile...and click on all threads started by me...you should be able to find them:)
lol there are some things Duchess does that could be like a hound...like the sniffing! lol when she was a puppy...and now...she wants to smell everything.
also when she knows someone is outside or on the other side of the fence...she does this run...bark, bark, HOOooooowwllll thing lol

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Many dobes can be seen "stalking", maybe that is the behavior you describe. They will see something, in Lexus's case she will stalk the cats who generally are looking right at her ;), and creep up on it like a cat. Very slowly one foot at a time, it is a very cute to watch.

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
I agree with the "stalking" When Rommel stalks, he stretches his head out in front, lowers it so that it is almost a straight line from tail to nose, and slowly cat walks toward whatever he is stalking (usually Piper) haha. Also, he is a sniffer......I would swear he is part hound too. I started a thread about it in the training and obedience section.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Harmony's a stalker as well. She loves to stalk Doodle in the yard and he thinks it is the greatest game. So funny to watch.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Haha BIB. I think you might have your hands full there. Asher and Harmony are very protective of him. ;) Oh and he thinks that he is a doberman with the too much hair. :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So far she does most of what you said in that survey. If shes not part doberman then i dont know what! That was fun to do, its funny how many things you got right on the nose about her and what she does constantly lol
And yes, she stalks alot. I really need to get a better house with an actual fenced in yard for her. Im sick of sharing a yard with the neighbors. We have a feild i let her play in, but cant take her off leash in :/ Still looking for dog parks, not many around here. Stinks!

So heres the survey!
1. Lay or sit ON you when on the couch- YES!
2. Insist on sleeping under the covers-well she goes in the kennel at night :/
3. Sleep curled up in the smallest ball ever-Yup, as she naps.
4. Steal your socks and underwear-my shoes and socks if im not careful.
5. Headbutt you-or face bops >.<
6. Give you a kiss-always!
7. be a velcro dog...always want to be in the same room...at your side...etc-yuppers
8. knock a couple of people on their butts when playing outdoors-she seems to be practicing too, not that big yet.
9. make a chewbacca sound (dont know how to spell chewy)- not really, but my other dog surely does. could be a sound double lol
10.Play tug of war with the leash sometimes on a walk or run-yes
11.sleep with a toy still in their mouth-havent noticed her do that
12.Smile when you come home (that it's not a snarl its a smile look)-she always has a weird kind of smiling expression on her face, like many have described your dobes do.
13.Prance around like a horse when excited-sometimes
14.wiggle their butt-always
15.stretch every time they get up from a long nap-yup
16.hangout on the stairs-at times
17.counter surf by using their long nose-yes,we try to catch her in the act
18.sit next to you while you eat dinner (doesnt have to be begging...Duchess likes to just to simply be by you...she doesnt really beg)-does a weird side by side sniffy thingy before we shush her away. So i think its just her begging :p
19.Do anything for a treat-oh yes, trying to help her learn more though
20.kill their stuffed toys- we dont have any stuffed ones for this reason lol
21.smack you in the face with their paw-all the damn time!
22.Give you that look out of the corners of their eyes while laying down- yes, they both do! its hilarious!
23.be really well behaved in the car-Sadie is actually well behaved in the car. She will just sit there, sometimes try to get up. But mostly just sit well behaved.
24.eat the mulch and sticks like it is their dinner- Yes -_-
25.lick other dogs ears-YES!
26.watch you from a window when you leave the house- Sadly we have to put her in the kennel if we leave the house or she'll wreck everything.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts