Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've noticed Saint likes to carry around this stuffed dog she stole from my son. She will play with it like a regular toy with a lot of shaking and flipping it across the room but she will also suck on it. I wasn't sure if this is an anxiety related behavior since she usually whines a little bit while she does it. I'm curious if anyone else's Doberman does the same thing.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
My girl has been nursing on stuffed animals for eight years. I consider it to likely be an OCD-type of behavior, and it is not infrequent for Dobermans to do stuff like this.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My girl has been nursing on stuffed animals for eight years. I consider it to likely be an OCD-type of behavior, and it is not infrequent for Dobermans to do stuff like this.
Is there any scientific reason as to why Dobermans are more likely to exhibit the OCD-like tendencies more so than other breeds?

·
Premium Member
10,268 Posts
Is there any scientific reason as to why Dobermans are more likely to exhibit the OCD-like tendencies more so than other breeds?
I'm not sure that Dobermans are more likely to exhibit OCD behaviors than other breeds.

One of the people that I started out showing dogs with ended up breeding a number of sporting breeds over the years. His import German Wirehair Pointer really had a major case of OCD--he sucked on things and paced in tiny circles in his run (which was huge and which he was only in a few hours a day). About half of his offspring were side, blanket, flank and toy suckers.

My step-brother who had competition hunting breeds for many years had a lab who was far worse than any Dobe I've ever seen for flank sucking--made raw spots on his skin.

His wife's first Vizsla, sucked on anything fabric--blankets, comforters, corners of blankets--the only time she didn't do it was when she was out hunting.

I've met a number of terriers of various breeds who are foot suckers, side suckers and blanket suckers.

I don't think you can make a generalization about Dobes having more OCD tendencies than other breeds. I've had a lot of Dobes over the last 53 years and have actually only had one flank sucker--and his was obviously stress related--it was the worst when we were showing him in conformation--when he finished and I was showing him in Obedience he didn't suck on his flank so much as he was going to sleep and didn't seem nearly as stressed. He got injured when he was just ready to start competing in Open Obedience and got retired from everything.

After that the only time he sucked on his flank was if there were a lot of fireworks going off in the neighborhood--so that was basically July 4 and New Years Eve.

OCD behaviors are common in a lot of breeds--they almost always manifest as sucking, chewing and licking behaviors that training doesn't stop and in fact may even aggravate.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts