Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a female doberman that has been mated 6 weeks ago but until now she doesn't look like pregnant and her belly is still as small as before. I only see one symptom which is a slight enlargement of her breasts.

I want her to be checked up by vet but I cannot bring her to the vet clinic (an hour-long drive). She is not used in traveling and always stressed and vomits whenever she travels with me. I already ask the vet if they can service the dog at home but they told me that they don't do home service.

How do you think I can determine if she is really pregnant? Can I still walk her outside? She is quarantined right now in her cage because every time I let her out she always jump at people which I think could also abort her pregnancy.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Allan

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Hi Allan. I am not an expert and have never bred a litter, so I can only go by what I've read.

It can be difficult to tell if a bitch is pregnant, especially if it is her first litter and/or a small litter. A scan is the best way to be sure/show how many pups. They usually start showing around now as they are a larger breed. Has she gone off her food or being more needy or urinating more?

I would really try to read up on everything as much as you can so you are fully prepared for if there are any issues, what would be your back-up if she had issues during the whelping if the vet cant come to see you?

She's not the 9 month old dog in your profile info is she??

Edited to add: I just wanted to say that as a forum, people here support the work of knowledgeable breeders who title, health test and work hard to further develop the breed. With that said, a lot of people dont take kindly to what they would consider 'backyard breeders' who breed their pets. Now I dont know anything about your situation, so I cant say if you are knowledgeable enough or your bitch should be bred or not, but I will just say for the sake of your puppies if you get some responses on here you dont particularly like the sound of, please hang around and keep asking questions anyway for the sake of the puppies.

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
Hi,

I have a female doberman that has been mated 6 weeks ago but until now she doesn't look like pregnant and her belly is still as small as before. I only see one symptom which is a slight enlargement of her breasts.

I want her to be checked up by vet but I cannot bring her to the vet clinic (an hour-long drive). She is not used in traveling and always stressed and vomits whenever she travels with me. I already ask the vet if they can service the dog at home but they told me that they don't do home service.

How do you think I can determine if she is really pregnant? Can I still walk her outside? She is quarantined right now in her cage because every time I let her out she always jump at people which I think could also abort her pregnancy.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Allan
Welcome to DT.

Can you tell us a little more about this bitch, and why you chose to breed her? How old is she?

Was there never in her life any opportunity to acclimate her to car rides? The vast majority of well-socialized Dobermans would jump at the chance for a car ride!

Also, when you say you're keeping her crated constantly...why? Does she not have a yard? Access to your house?

You said she "jumps at people." Do you mean in excited greeting? Or aggression?

Why do you think normal exercise and activity would "abort the litter"?

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Reactions: yoshinkan

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the response guys. Just to clarify things up, please see my answers below:

1. Yes she's the one in my profile. Sam is correct, she was 9 months old on that picture it was taken last year and she is already 20 months now.

2. Considering the size of my kennel, yes I am just a backyard breeder just starting to establish my kennel (I believe most of the big breeders started small). But if you pertain BYB as irresponsible breeding, not I'm not that kind. I love dogs, and I make sure that my pets are updated with their medical needs and that they are well taken care of. The old vet who do the home service for her has already retired and I can't find anyone near our place who are willing to do home service (we leave at the country side).

3. She "jumps at people because she's excited and not by aggression.

4. We do have a large front yard and before she got mated they are free to roam around the yard. It's just that I have talked to several breeders including online and they told me that the first 30 days is critical and that I should quarantine the dogs until the 5th week.

5. Yes if she got sick I will take her to the vet, I just doesn't want to risk the lives inside her womb that's why I started this thread.

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
Okay... I am not currently a breeder, but I bred a litter or two of Dobes and bred Aussies for many years. So, I will share what I know....

Some bitches don't show pregnancy until very late in their pregnancy, some show immediately and some show just a slight thickening at the flank area at the stage your bitch is. No way to be certain at this point without a vet check. It is probably too late to make a definitive determination of pregnancy by palpation. Those experienced and good at palpating generally do so between days 21 and 32. After that palpation is not terribly reliable.

As far as restricting exercise it is absolutely NOT necessary and can actually cause problems. Your want your girl to be in good physical condition when the time comes to whelp her litter. The better her condition the easier the delivery. You do not want to introduce any 'new' exercise, but you should allow her the same exercise she has been used to. Jumping up on somebody is not going to abort the litter. It is pretty much the same for Dogs as it is for Women -- if their body is used to the exercise or activity, there should be no issue.

In any case, even if your bitch is not used to a lot of exercise, you should at minimum make sure she gets a good leisurely walk once or twice every day. Again, exercise is important for body condition and good body condition makes labor and delivery much easier.

This might be a good time to teach her not to jump on/at people. Put her on a leash and don't allow her to jump, tell her to sit and reward good calm behavior.

If she is supposed to be 6 weeks along, you only have a few more weeks to go before you will know for certain.

Good Luck and Welcome to DT.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
To Melbrod - Yes I am from the Philippines and when it comes to standard I think we are not that far from other western countries. However there are also irresponsible breeders here who just want to make money but doesn't want to invest on their dog's health.
Thanks to all of you. I will follow all of your advice and I know that your are also concern with the puppies. Please rest assured that I will bring them to the vet including the mother I just don't want drive her to the vet right now due to possible pregnancy.

Cheers,

Allan

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for sharing your thoughts Shelly, it's very informative.
I hope this thread could also help those breeders who are just starting like me.
I will try to post some of her pics so you could also see her.

Regards,

Allan

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
I just wanted to stick my little 'edited to add' bit on there as a warning/explaination, as threads like this often turn into a downward spiral, the OP leaves and the question doesn’t get answered. Its because people care about the breed :)

I have seen some really nice breeders from the Philippians who CH title their dogs and have similar health testing to breeders in the USA and UK. There was a new member the other day here who was asking the difference between two very nice puppies? (Cant remember the breeders name) Dont the Phillipians go by FCI stadards? I remember seeing a pedigree for a dog from a breeder over there and it was the same as a European pedigree.

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,408 Posts
Perhaps I should have said customs instead of standards. I simply meant that the available resources for dog care (like vet availability 24 hours around the clock, for example) may be outside of a person's control and that the kinds of living conditions that are customary for dogs may vary from one place to another. I was NOT trying to say that dog care or the dogs in certain areas are substandard, just that they are different, and that we should not narrow-mindedly assume a person does not care for his dogs because he does not do things quite the way we would.

Opinions about dog care run fierce here, and I think sometimes this fierceness boils up and runs people off before the understanding of a questioner's individual problems and intentions soaks in enough for folks to give open-minded advice.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
@Melbrod - No worries man. I was just explaining that our Canine club is also following AKC and FCI standards. But you are right, unlike other advanced countries, here it will be very hard to find a clinic with complete facilities and 24hours availability especially for breeders like me who live in the countryside.

@Amelia - Yes, our canine club (Philippine Canine Club Inc.) follows its partner's (FCI, AKC, AKU, TKC and CKC) standards. We (Filipino breeders) also imports dogs from outside the country to improve the quality of the breed. Like for my girl, on her second litter (maybe next year, I will skip her next heat so she will have enough time to recover) I am looking at mating her with Nicol's Cafu (Phil Grand Ch / Uruguay Ch). Just need to save some money because it's to expensive here to have a stud service from an imported champion dog.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Once I got the chance to find a vet who will do her pregnancy checkup, I will post it here.
Picture will be posted later.

Thanks,

Allan

·
Luv-The-Nub
1,058 Posts
Just wondering.... is your dog titled, working on titles or certified? And have you done YOUR homework as a breeder as far as health testing her prior to breeding her?
-- As a minimum, she should have had bloodwork including thyroid testing and full panel (liver/kidneys etc) as well as some sort of cardio workup.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just wondering.... is your dog titled, working on titles or certified? And have you done YOUR homework as a breeder as far as health testing her prior to breeding her?
-- As a minimum, she should have had bloodwork including thyroid testing and full panel (liver/kidneys etc) as well as some sort of cardio workup.
Yes she had. Thanks for the concern.:)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts