Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone

We recently got a 2yr male doberman from a a local doberman breeder, the dog was bred originally from the breeder then handed back to them because the owner moved overseas.
We picked him up on new years day after checking him out. All looked good he has a great nature with people very sociable with our dog and friends dogs straight away, he seemed very relaxed the first 3 days at our place.perfect we thought.
But on the 4 day it's it's like a switch was turned on and now all day he just runs around the yard and only rests occasionally.
I try to distract him with toys, playing etc, but as soon as we finish he starts running around again.sometimes totally oblivious to us.
The only time he stops is when he is inside which is strange because he never was inside at the breeders, he was in a typical breeders run with a basic shelter.

He gets 2 good long walks daily.

And I'm worried he's losing weight ,he is 29kg which seems lite to me.

I'm just wondering if he's just settling in, or does a bigger problem exist?
We really love this guy already and don't want to give him back.

comments or suggestions much appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,469 Posts
He may just be anxious and homesick--it usually takes 2-4 weeks at least for a dog to even start to settle down and show his normal nature in a new home and it may be quite a bit longer than that before the dog seems to feel completely at home.

Or he may just be enjoying new-found freedom to run and move around if all he has had in the past is a small run.

Does he look frantic like he's searching for something, or just like he's having fun? Do check and double check your fencing to make sure he is safe and supervise him, stay out with him, while he is outside to make sure he doesn't try to find his way back home.

It sounds like you've only had him a little more than a week--he may just need more time and consistent loving to settle him down.

Weight, of course, can vary quite a bit depending on the dog's size and bone structure. How does he look weight-wise? Are his hip bones and backbone showing? Or is he more at the other end with a layer of fat on his ribs and bit of a tummy?

·
of Ferret Rock
1,674 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,015 Posts
If he's been kenneled this may be the first opportunity he's really had to run. Or, he may have some genetically OCD or anxiety issues that you are seeing. It's hard to say without seeing the behavior. Can you post a video of what he's doing?

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
hi everyone

We recently got a 2yr male doberman from a a local doberman breeder, the dog was bred originally from the breeder then handed back to them because the owner moved overseas.
We picked him up on new years day after checking him out. All looked good he has a great nature with people very sociable with our dog and friends dogs straight away, he seemed very relaxed the first 3 days at our place.perfect we thought.
But on the 4 day it's it's like a switch was turned on and now all day he just runs around the yard and only rests occasionally.
I try to distract him with toys, playing etc, but as soon as we finish he starts running around again.sometimes totally oblivious to us.
The only time he stops is when he is inside which is strange because he never was inside at the breeders, he was in a typical breeders run with a basic shelter.

He gets 2 good long walks daily.

And I'm worried he's losing weight ,he is 29kg which seems lite to me.

I'm just wondering if he's just settling in, or does a bigger problem exist?
We really love this guy already and don't want to give him back.

comments or suggestions much appreciated.

Well I wouldn't be surprised if the breeder had this dog from birth and has decided not to keep it. That behavior is very typical of dogs that have been kenneled for a long time.

But remember it's only been just over a week that he has been home with you. If the story is actually true this boy has been through a lot of stress! His world has been pretty much turned upside down, please give him a chance to settle!! Keep up the exercise and play and I would start to add some training in a week or so. Good luck!!

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
When I first adopted my Mastif (now deceased sadly) the poor dear wouldnt lay down, no matter what we did she stayed sat up and even though she was exhausted and falling asleep where she stood or sat she just wouldnt give in. It took well over a week for her to lay down (we actually rescued her from a BYB who was literally killing her by putting her in pup every season). My vet said it was all down to anxiety, she was confused, didnt know what was happening.

Now I know your boy is running about but I would imagine if he has lived in a kennel (like my Mastif) the sudden change is mindboggling to him. As with my old girl I would recommend patience and lots of TLC, if he doesnt seem to be calming down after a few more weeks then you could perhaps take him to see your vet and maybe if you have them where you are a behavariourist.

:kiss:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for all the responses guys much appreciated.

At the breeders he seemed really happy and they were only giving him away because he'd been de-sexed. If it is a behavioural problem it probably started with the original owner.

I think it is a settling in process, he seems calmer today and hasn't been barking or running around as much.
When he is running around he doesn't look anxious, quite the opposite in fact.big smile ear to ear. I don't think he got much to stimulate him at the kennel.

I did notice his pads on his paws have worn considerably since being at our house and when i went to walk him today he didn't want to walk on the road because of the rocks. so soreness might be why. I'll leave the walking alone for a few days.

Weight wise you can't see his hips or backbone, just his ribs he hasn't lost any since I began weighing him. I have tended to keep all my dogs a little under weight anyway.I'll get some pics up very soon.

I understand it will take a while, We haven't had a young dog in over 10 years so i think I'm just being some what over cautious.

any more advice is much appreciated

cheers

luke

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,469 Posts
The weight goal that I have seen is that you should see the dog's last 2 or 3 ribs when he is standing still, and you should be able to feel the rest of his ribs with no extra fat padding. You should be able to see his waist from above and his tummy tuck-up from beside him. You should not see projecting hip bones or a bony raised spine--that would be too thin.

I would check his pads fairly frequently, especially with all the running he is doing, because it is common for a dog getting a lot of unaccustomed exercise to actually rip the surface of a pad right off. Also check the undersides of the little pads which are on the back of his wrist. These rips heal fairly quickly (compared to how they look at first), but would probably require slower leash walking for a bit.

·
Super Moderator
22,015 Posts
For the pads, if you can get either Musher's Secret or Tuf Foot (or both!) I've been really happy with them for protecting their paws.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
alright just posting a quick update on zeus our doberman.

He is settling in better but I think he is going to take awhile to adjust to his new home. I think patience will be the key here.

My main concern is his weight , he was between 30-32 kg when we brought him home which seemed right for his size, but he currently weighs 27kg so he has further lost 3kgs.
i can see all his all ribs easily and starting to see his hind hip joints. We are currently feeding him 1.5kg of food per day. I think I'll be upping his food to 2kg(4.5pounds) very soon.

I am getting concerned about his weight loss so I'm thinking of taking him down the vets next week.

on average how much do owners give their dogs per day?

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I missed this thread, originally...

Regarding food... I assume you are talking about raw? The amount you are considering upping to is a little more than twice what I feed my 70# bitch and fed my 85# dog. If he needs it, he needs it... the correct amount to feed is what keeps your animal in proper body condition, however much that is. Your dog must be burning a LOT of calories.

Regarding the running... if you are seeing what I think you are seeing, I would not permit it. This kind of mindless behavior is typical of kennel dogs who do nothing but run their kennel fence all day because there is nothing else to do. It is self-perpetuating, in my experience... the more he does it, the more he will do it.

If it was me, I would have him outside primarily on a long line... maybe allowing enough free time that he isn't nuts from lack of exercise in the house... I would not allow him outside alone. I would keep him in as much as possible, and leash walk as much as possible (after his feeties heal up). I would have incredibly high value options outside like whole raw steer femur bones to chew. You can see if he would spend his time searching if you scattered delicious little treats in the grass... searching is not running. Work inside to make tug a very high value game, and then take tug outside... same for fetching... put tug off until his feet are better, though, since that is hard on feet, too (even inside). If he is social and appropriate with other dogs, arrange play dates for him... interacting with other dogs is something to do outside that is not mindless.

Oh! And training! Get into class soon, and do your homework outside... something else to do that is not mindless.

I am hoping that what you describe is not what I am thinking. I knew some folks with a Standard Poodle who ran the back yard... over his lifetime, the track in which he ran became almost a foot deep and while he was running (around and around, all day if he could) he was mentally vacant and unreachable. I would not allow a dog to become like that.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
Kyrah is 27 1/2" tall and weighs 75#'s. She eats about 2lbs raw and gets some treats for training. My dog/s gets ample physical and mental exercise. She is one who has to watch what she eats b/c her looking at food can put weight on her.

I agree that I would up the food and feed as much as needed to keep the weight you like. Sounds like your dog can be burning lots of energy if he cant seem to settle. Reminds me of the little dog my daughters roomate adopted from the shelter. She aimlessly runs the fence line when you put her in a fenced area.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok guys we got zeus checked out by our great vet and he confirmed he was very underweight and we were feeding him to much lean food. He suggest we up his meals to 4 times a day on a high fat/ protein diet. now he gets 4.5 pounds a day until he gets back to his ideal weight which is stil 12 pounds away. We started him on this diet on friday and he's steadily putting on weight and he looks much better.

·
Crazy Pup
10 Posts
let him run

I just take my dog to the fenced in softball field near my house daily. as soon as I let her off the leash and tell her it's ok, she takes off. she ran for 15 minutes straight tonight, never stopped. truely amazing.:roflmao:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well i can't believe its been over a year since i posted about zeus.
I have to get on this forum more.
Zeus is doing great, we sorted out his diet and now he is a nice 35kg.
Through patience and training zeus he has settled down, he still runs around but
I can tell him to" jump on his mat " and he'll run to his mat and at least have a rest.
I think he'll always run but atleast i can get him to take a break .
While we had him at our vets for a check up my vet showed me another dobbie they had in thier kennel who was doing the exact running around "patrolling" as zeus. So i kind a figure it's what he's bred to do.
He may be a handfull but he's a big part of our family and the neighbors love him because he alerted us to a few near car break ins on our street.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts