Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,915 Posts
Codysmom said:
Just cuirous. who is going? are you going to show your dog?

cc
Not me. I have yet to get to one, but plan on going next year when it is back on the East Coast........hubby is just going to have to deal with the kids in some way :)

Colorado is just too far for me this year. I've got big family vacations (read expensive) coming up later this year and early next summer so I can't afford Colorado. Also, I really don't want to transport a dog that far for a show.

I am really looking forward to going to my first national next year. I will plan on bringing one of my bitches. If Louise is not finished, she will go. If she is, then one of them will go for obedience....just depends on who is ready for what ring at that time. I avoid bringing both dogs when I can - it is just too much work.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Sorry to bring this back up..But i got an email today from my breeder.

The two lady's that owned Chase before me won the AOAC 9-12 class! at the DPCA. LIBERATOR'S HOLLYWOOD PARK

I am so happy for them, and their girl is so nice..

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
Hero's Mom said:
I have heard that clubs (All Breeds not just Dobermans) are hurting because of the gas prices and people don't have the money. Low entries.
In general, that's true. Shows that were historically always majors (at least 3 points) here in CA are now 2 points at best.

But the entry for the National this year is higher than it's been in the last few years. Go figure.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
dobie lover said:
Sorry to bring this back up..But i got an email today from my breeder.

The two lady's that owned Chase before me won the AOAC 9-12 class! at the DPCA. LIBERATOR'S HOLLYWOOD PARK
This was at the DPCA Regional, which was held over the weekend. There's always a specialty show that kicks things off.

The National itself started yesterday, with conformation judging beginning with the futurity on Wed. Yesterday was agility, the general meeting for members and last night, the conformation Top 20 competition.

But due to the size of the entry, a class win anytime during these festivities is a big thing. Heck, even a placement is a big deal with large entries like this!

I remember when one of my boys won the Bred By Exhibitor class one year at the National..I was ecstatic, and didn't even really care if he won the points there or not..the class win was enough.

Dobebug, who posts here, also had a class winner over the weekend..her fawn boy, Foxfire's Gold Toed Monster.

Here's hoping these class winners go on to do just as well at the National itself!

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
Murreydobe said:
The National itself started yesterday, with conformation judging beginning with the futurity on Wed.
I thought I'd explain what the futurity was, in that it's kind of a different thing that you pretty much only see at the National.

It's for puppies only, designed to be an incentive for breeders. To be eligible for the futurity, at least one of the co breeders of a litter has to be a DPCA member. The litter has to be nominated prior to birth, individual puppies from that litter have to be nominated before a certain age.

Judging is divided by age (6-9 mos., 9-12, 12-15, 15-18), sex and color (black and any other allowed color). The judges aren't AKC approved judges, they're handlers or long term breeders.

The winner's of each class compete against the other class winners from their age group. The winner of that age group competes against the winner's from their division (6-9 and 9-12 one division, 12-15 and 15-18 the other division). The winner's from their division finally compete for Grand Prize Futurity Winner. So you start out with hundreds of puppies competing, which are finally narrowed down to two vying for the final win.

One thing that makes the futurity noteworthy is this is one of the few times at a dog show where you win any money. And you win money for class placements, class wins, division wins, etc. It's all figured out on a percentage basis, based on the total entry fees. I know the year one of my puppies won his futurity class, I won about $150.00. I'd imagine the Grand Prize Futurity Winner gets a few thousand dollars. But the "bragging purposes" are the primary motivation to win the whole thing.

BTW..there are no championship points awarded to the GPFW..the "regular classes" where dogs are vying for championship points, starts on Thursday.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
dobie lover said:
Congrats to Dobebug..:) I was trying to take a look at her boy on Dobequest...but no pic :-( I would be so happy as well..
He's a VERY handsome guy. I'm not a fan of dilution colors, so for me to be able to get past the fact he's not black or red, you KNOW it's a good dog! LOLOL.

Maybe we can get Dobebug to post some pics of her boy, who actually goes by the name of Toad!

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Congrats to Dobebug. I think a pic is in order. :)

Thank you for posting the info on the futurity Murreydobe. It helps the show illiterate ones learn. Oh wait, that would be me.:D Little by little I learn something.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I totally agree with you Dreamboy..So much too learn.

I was just thinking about the futurity that Murreydobe was explaining and Chase was nominated to go there this year, under Liberator's KC ( That was his name before I took him) after some thought I new Chase was not ready for that kind of competion, but im sure it would of been fun anyway..

·
Registered
521 Posts
Congrat's to Dobebug!!!!!

Isn't it a surprise when you think you know what dog the judge is going to pick and it's totally wrong. I have done that with my labs. I'll say " He'll pick that one" and they'll surprise you. Or the judges that are not consistent with his picks. HMMMMM

1 - 20 of 39 Posts