Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.

I would like to get a Doberman i can train for IPO. I have never done this before but I will not let that stop me.

I have been in love with the Doberman since i was 6years old so that would be for 26years now, but I have never owned one. In fact I have only owned 1 dog before, an English Springer Spaniel. I got her after I nagged my parents for half a year to get a doberman or boxer when I was 6, and was told I at least had to be twice as old before I could get a dog. The 12 year old me did remember this so just before I turned 13 I got "Frøya". It was an English Springer Spaniel, as my parents did not approve of my doberman or boxer demands. And that was most likely a good thing that I did not get a more advanced breed so young. I had the sole responsibility for her for 7 years, until my military service and when I went of to university my father fully adopted her. She died of cancer 5 years later.

After that I did not want the responsibility of having another dog before now. (Living in a small apartment and being away long stretches at a time is not dog friendly) But now myself and my girlfriend have moved from Norway to the Philippines and live here as an expats and will be staying here for some years. We now have a house that would work very well with a dog and we even have a maid/caretaker/helper living with us so the dog will never be home alone, and we will mostly be working from our home offices anyway.

So I dont think I will ever have a better opportunity to get a puppy. The reason I mention IPO is that it looks like a great way to get a good bond with the dog, and it also looks like a lot of fun. I dont care if we can not compete on the highest levels, this will be the first time I try this kind if dog sport anyway so I will have to learn a lot my self. So don't go into the "For IPO get a GSD, mal or Dutch Shepard" argument. I'm getting a Doberman, I just want to know how too pick the best candidate. :)

So do you have any recommendations of how we should proceed to get a good tempered Dober here in the Philippines? Im not very keen on just getting the first hit on olx.ph to put it mildly.

I would also love to know about good quality obedience training programs we should be reading up on before we get the puppy.

Also how should we handle all the stray dogs around here? Its not a problem I was faced with in Norway, but might be something I would have to consider here.

·
Squirrel Wrangler
144 Posts
Bold is mine, welcome to DT!

So I dont think I will ever have a better opportunity to get a puppy. The reason I mention IPO is that it looks like a great way to get a good bond with the dog, and it also looks like a lot of fun. I dont care if we can not compete on the highest levels, this will be the first time I try this kind if dog sport anyway so I will have to learn a lot my self. So don't go into the "For IPO get a GSD, mal or Dutch Shepard" argument. I'm getting a Doberman, I just want to know how too pick the best candidate. :)

The key to picking a good candidate would ideally be to trust your breeder's assessment of the litter and the pup they choose to go to you. An experienced breeder should be able to determine which one of their pups will have the kinds of drive expected from an IPO dog. Be warned though, many say that the kinds of dogs that you would expect to be competitive in IPO can be very difficult to live with. They have lots of drive and energy and if not properly exercised and stimulated, can be destructive.

So do you have any recommendations of how we should proceed to get a good tempered Dober here in the Philippines? Im not very keen on just getting the first hit on olx.ph to put it mildly.

I'm not sure that we have many members in the Phillipines, but if we do hopefully one can chime in. Shipping in from either the States or Europe is always a possibility.

I would also love to know about good quality obedience training programs we should be reading up on before we get the puppy.

A good idea if you're wanting to try your hand at IPO would be to find a club you like beforehand and those people could serve as an excellent resource for the beginnings of obedience.

Also how should we handle all the stray dogs around here? Its not a problem I was faced with in Norway, but might be something I would have to consider here.

A fence, definitely a strong fence to protect your property and your dog.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts