Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed my big guy was loosing weight at an alarming rate and would only eat table food, and my daughter brought it to my attention that he was breathing heavy when he was asleep. I thought maybe he was just be fussy food wise, he wasn't acting sick still energetic and barking his head off at anything that moved:) I woke up 2 days ago and something said get him into the vet NOW.
I got in that morning and when she came back with his x-rays I was sure he had eaten a sock (i can't count the number of socks he has eaten over the past 7 years) That's when she told me he was in heart failure:( I was devastated. I don't know anything about this disease so of course I came home and googled everything I could read about it and the more I read the more I freaked out. I was so afraid he would die on the car ride home I asked the nurse to please give him his meds before we left the office. I know I am going on and on I apologize but he is my heart and soul and I feel so helpless with so many questions. I think I am making him crazy He is usually the one who follows me and now I follow him:) So we are on day 3 of the meds Enacard, Lanoxin, and Furosemide. So far they seem to be working no more labored breathing and he is eating more. I know his diagnosis is basically going to end in death but how long can they live with heart disease?
I have read things that say 1 week to 2 years I guess it just depends on the dog. :cry:

Attachments

• Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
    21.8 KB Views: 1,465
  • 32.8 KB Views: 1,012

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
So sorry for your dog's diagnosis. You answered your own question... it all depends on the dog. Generalizations are just that and other people's experiences are just that... no one can tell you what the future holds.

My one suggestion would be to seek further evaluation with a board-certified veterinary cardiologist, if you can. A cardiologist is really in a better position to make the best treatement recommendations for your dog, and will offer him the best chance of the most life.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
Sadly, dobermans don't respond too well to treatment compared to other breeds. If the dog is already in heart failure, then I think 8 months is the average lifespan after diagnosis. However, some don't even last that long-the first dog I lost to DCM lived exactly 7 days after the heart failure diagnosis.

I second the recommendation to see a board certified cardiologist if at all possible.

·
nutsaboutmydobes
2,122 Posts
First of all don't apologize. To be given a DCM/CHF diagnosis is devastating & your head must be all over the place with lots of questions. Sadly there are lots of people on here with first hand experience of this disease, me included, so ask away & I'm sure we'll be able to answer any questions you may have.

Please ask your vet about Vetmedin (Pimobendan). I notice you haven't been prescribed it. It is given specifically for the heart & can improve quality of life. As you know this disease is always fatal but there is no telling how long your dobe will live. With my boy he succumbed 3 months after diagnosis but some will survive longer & some won't last as long as that. I too followed my boy everywhere for the first few days but that's the easiest way to drive yourself crazy. I know it's hard but try to enjoy the time you have with your dobe, make every day count with lots of love & snuggle time & doing fun things. That's the advice I was given & that's exactly what I did.

I'm so sorry that you're going through this. It breaks my heart hearing yet another precious dobe has been diagnosed with this disease. DCM sucks.

Big hugs to you & your dobe.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
I would get to a board certified cardiologist ASAP. I'd probably contact the closest Dobe club and ask who they recommend. If you share a location, maybe some of us can help also.

·
Super Moderator
GOT's Kal-Drogo The Horseman (Drogo), TKN, CGC, 7 years; RIP Baron, Miley, Dax, Lonesome, Baron #1
18,272 Posts
I am so very sorry to read this. I agree with the rest of the posters to seek out a board certified cardiologist and have an echo and 24 holter done. My Baron has early stage DCM so I know what you are going through. There is a wealth of knowledge on this forum and knowledgeable members to help get you through this. My thoughts and prayers are with your guy. Please feel free to PM if your need to vent.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts

·
Boss with those Doberboys
120 Posts
so sorry to hear of your boys diagnosis, and agree with other posters.

hopefully you will get him stable on his meds and enjoy a long time together yet.

·
Registered
127 Posts
So sorry to hear about your boy - im going through the same thing with my girl Madison she was diagnosed on thursday.

This forum is wonderful though and will give you all the help and support you need.

Sending lots of love and positive vibes to you and your boy. x

·
Banned
919 Posts
So sad to hear of these dobermans with heart failure :(
My last Dobe, Pickle died of Heart failure, it was sudden onset as well so basically we took Bumpy (the bull terrier out for a walk) came home found Pickle dead :cry:

I tried giving her mouth to nose and heart massage but it was way too late, bumpy wasn't even aknowledgeing her presence so I knew I was too late.
On the Plus side she had an amazing life and died quickly, I think she had no pain she was lying in her favorite spot in the sun (by the back door) with no contortions or anything just like she was asleep, she never could have been a dog to die slowly that would have been horrible, she was completely active up until that day.

As long as you give your Doberman a good life it's all ok.

To the OP I hope the best comes of any treatments and care, good luck.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
So sad to hear of these dobermans with heart failure :(
My last Dobe, Pickle died of Heart failure, it was sudden onset as well so basically we took Bumpy (the bull terrier out for a walk) came home found Pickle dead :cry:

I tried giving her mouth to nose and heart massage but it was way too late, bumpy wasn't even aknowledgeing her presence so I knew I was too late.
On the Plus side she had an amazing life and died quickly, I think she had no pain she was lying in her favorite spot in the sun (by the back door) with no contortions or anything just like she was asleep, she never could have been a dog to die slowly that would have been horrible, she was completely active up until that day.

As long as you give your Doberman a good life it's all ok.

To the OP I hope the best comes of any treatments and care, good luck.
It sounds like your dog died of the sudden death form of this disease, caused by an irregular heartbeat.

Heart failure is a shortened form of the term congestive heart failure. This is where the heart becomes so enlarged and flabby that it doesn't work correctly anymore. Fluid builds up in the lungs, and the dog can literally start drowning in that fluid. It's a TERRIBLE thing, no dog deserves to die like that, so I just can't agree there's anything ok about it.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
When Wheeler was diagnosed, the cardiologist thought he might have a month but he lived seven months. You might ask your cardiologist about VETMEDIN (pimobendan).

Initially, I, too, noticed he was losing a lot of weight. Took him locally and although I asked about DCM, the vet kept saying his heart was fine and it was old age, plus they treated him for liver issues. Finally I just knew something else was wrong due to his weight loss so I took him for a second opinion. That vet immediately said he was in trouble so we started him on medications right then and there and I had him at the University of Missouri the next day.

As much as you can, just enjoy every day you have. Try hard not to dread too much and not to look too far down the road. I bet Blade is still just loving the life he has with you.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Same news here too...my Tyson is 7 weeks into the DCM diagnosis. After a really bad weekend last week - he seems to have bounced back a bit and is eating more and able to breath better since his meds have really kicked in at the right doses for him. I honestly do not feel that he will live very long BUT, I finally came to the realization that while I do have him - I am blessed! Everyone here loves their dogs, the support here is wonderful and we all care so very much....best of luck to you and your baby.

·
nutsaboutmydobes
2,122 Posts
Same news here too...my Tyson is 7 weeks into the DCM diagnosis. After a really bad weekend last week - he seems to have bounced back a bit and is eating more and able to breath better since his meds have really kicked in at the right doses for him. I honestly do not feel that he will live very long BUT, I finally came to the realization that while I do have him - I am blessed! Everyone here loves their dogs, the support here is wonderful and we all care so very much....best of luck to you and your baby.
Glad to hear Tyson's meds are giving him some relief & he is breathing a bit easier now. Here's hoping they give you more quality time together.
Big hugs to you & Tyson.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I hope you the best with Madison, This is day 4 for us and I honestly am driving myself crazy with worry when what I need to be doing is enjoying my big guy and make the most of the time we have left together:) Prayers to you and your girl!!! And know you are not alone

1 - 20 of 50 Posts