Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it normal for a doberman to have a bump towards the back of it head?

Diesel does... a friend that used to have one said it is normal and becomes less pronounced with age?

NDJ

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
It's normal. I want to call it an octiput, but I know that is wrong. Not sure if it goes away some with age. Cole will be 6 this month and his is still very much there.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
I've heard it called (non scientifically of course) their knowledge bump, I've seen them become more pronounced with age actually on the dogs it is more noticable on in the first place due to their body using up more of their fatty deposits.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the update, was worried he had banged his head on something...

:dancing_b

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
I've heard it referred to as the knowledge bump as well; in this house we call it the "dumb bump".
Personally I think it may be that their brains are growing and this is where there is the most pressure on the skull, causing it to rise and, you've got it, pinch the brain. (note the heavy sarcasm here ;-) )

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Gracie's_Mom said:
Hey the dummy bump. Gracie has a huge one which means she is a little slower. :)
A friend of mine who has corgi's and bearded collies once told me of a silly study that was done just for fun (not at all fact finding just for fun) that claimed dogs with more pronounced "dumb bumps" are quicker in picking up and retaining new commands. But dogs that had a spot on their tongue were even quicker than those with the bump. Now Chi has a black spot AND a dumb bump. Following that study she must be the most intelligent dog out there; although, I've yet to see evidence :)

·
Registered
85 Posts
TracyJo said:
A friend of mine who has corgi's and bearded collies once told me of a silly study that was done just for fun (not at all fact finding just for fun) that claimed dogs with more pronounced "dumb bumps" are quicker in picking up and retaining new commands. But dogs that had a spot on their tongue were even quicker than those with the bump. Now Chi has a black spot AND a dumb bump. Following that study she must be the most intelligent dog out there; although, I've yet to see evidence :)
LOL :tongue22:

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Gracie's_Mom said:
Lol Tracy! Gracie has no spot on her tounge I don't think which must mean that she is 98% dumb? :)

Heheh! Hey I missed what post it was in, but the new percentage is 85%!!!! Although, I have to admit that I like the 98% better!

·
Registered
460 Posts
I've heard it referred to as the knowledge bump as well; in this house we call it the "dumb bump".
Personally I think it may be that their brains are growing and this is where there is the most pressure on the skull, causing it to rise and, you've got it, pinch the brain. (note the heavy sarcasm here ;-) )
So that's Scoob's problem.... And I just thought his brain didn't fully develop. :)

·
Registered
365 Posts
Dobe_Paws said:
Apparently not.... *feels her head* Oh no! I have one too!!:tongue22:
hmmmmmm......Dobe_Paws, doesn't the saying go, "that dog owners start to look like their dogs"???? :)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Sasha has this i thought it was from her chasing our freaking mice in to the walls....... off the couch as the mouse runs by and WHAM! head first into the wall and misses the mouse!!!

I will get rid of these rodents yet, just have to figure out how cause Sasha isnt a very big help....LOL

1 - 20 of 26 Posts