Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wasn't sure where to post this and if this is the wrong spot I'm sorry.

My husband and I are finally getting out of the Army and have the choice of where to live. We got lucky and found a place that allows dobermans but we don't want to stay in Louisiana. We would like four seasons again, I miss cool weather. Is there a state or certain cities that are doberman friendly? I'm tired of people freaking out and being afraid of Dorian just because he is a doberman. He is just an oversized lap dog and my 2 years best friend. He is apart of the family and WILL NOT be left behind.
:thanx:

·
Registered
939 Posts
Colorado has four seasons, and a ton of dobermans :) We have a group of us on here that meet monthly. Gorgeous country out here... but I might be biased.

I haven't run into prejudice against mine yet, and have even found rentals that will take her. The same old ignorant comments about her ears, but thats it. Mostly people who look to be 50ish fawning over her and telling me how they had Dobes as a kid. I love it!

·
Da Boss
3,492 Posts
We've never had a problem with having a dobe here in Wisconsin. We get tons of people oohing and ahhing over Brandy all the time. She was the "star" of our Transit of Venus party the other day, with just as many people wanting to meet her as to see Venus. :)
We have four seasons and the midwest is a great place to live and raise a family too! I also might be a little biased though.... ;)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Don't get me wrong I love Texas but I need out of the humidity lol

I will however keep it in mind. I just want my whole family to be happy and accepted

·
Luv-The-Nub
1,058 Posts
Maybe more of a warm season, but Florida has beautiful beaches! St. Petersburg and surrounding areas are VERY dog friendly (in general).

(never been to Texas but there seems to be a lot of Texans on this site?)

Reactions: Sherryh

·
Registered
140 Posts
Congrats on getting out of the Army!!! I'm in right now. I'm sure I'll experience a little of what you talked about with Emma. We pick her up in a couple weeks! But I think it wouldn't be so much with a whole State as it woulb be with uneducated individuals. I know when I get out, I'll be headed to the Knoxville area of east Tennessee. Close to the moutains for skiing, nice weather, friendly people, and I have a lot of friends there. Not to mention I hear there is a good training center there. Hopefully I'll get to check that out in a couple weeks.

I wish you and your husband the best of luck and thank you for your service!!!

EDIT: Currently I'm in the panhandle of Florida. It's the beaches are nice, but I live 20 miles inland and it's so hot.

·
Luv-The-Nub
1,058 Posts
Congrats on getting out of the Army!!! I'm in right now. I'm sure I'll experience a little of what you talked about with Emma. We pick her up in a couple weeks! But I think it wouldn't be so much with a whole State as it woulb be with uneducated individuals. I know when I get out, I'll be headed to the Knoxville area of east Tennessee. Close to the moutains for skiing, nice weather, friendly people, and I have a lot of friends there. Not to mention I hear there is a good training center there. Hopefully I'll get to check that out in a couple weeks.

EDIT: Currently I'm in the panhandle of Florida. It's the beaches are nice, but I live 20 miles inland and it's so hot.
I'm originally from Panama City, FL - what part of the panhandle?

Reactions: Sherryh

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

I've been to Tennessee. I have family in Johnson City. I love it there. It's more like people hear the word doberman and aren't willing to give us a chance, not everyone just most. Aww is she a black/tan or red rust? Thanks for your service as well!

·
Registered
140 Posts
I'm originally from Panama City, FL - what part of the panhandle?
I'm not too far from there. About 45 east on I-10. Crestview.

I've been to Tennessee. I have family in Johnson City. I love it there. It's more like people hear the word doberman and aren't willing to give us a chance, not everyone just most. Aww is she a black/tan or red rust? Thanks for your service as well!
It's a great area! And she's a black/rust. There are pictures here.....http://www.dobermantalk.com/puppy-corner/67742-introducing-emma-masayas-e-litter.html

And I'm origianlly from Louisiana. Born in Lake Charles. :-D

·
Paralibrarian
6,168 Posts
New York State has laws against breed specific legislation, so Dobies are safe here. The taxes are high, though. And my area can be a bit...devoid of commodities.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
1 - 20 of 37 Posts