Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an eight week female doberman and I was planning to get her ears cropped but I am not sure where to go to in california. Do you have any suggestions? Can you please include how much you paid to know what to expect.

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
California is an exceptionaly large state. Where in CA are you looking? In LA there is La Bounty and Jezberra. I think they charge about 250-300 for cropping. In Sacramento there is Dr. Frace and he charges about 600.

·
i love grimm
5 Posts
im not from cali, i live in indiana and i called around and found a vet who crops ears, so i would start looking for a vet. my pup is 12 weeks old and he is just a pound or two away from having them cropped, my vet recomended 12 pounds before cropping. now im paying 150 dollars for the surgery, and another 30 for sutcher removal, and then another 8-10 for every resetting but thats here, ive heard california is expencive.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am located in Southern California(Los Angeles). I am considering going to the Riverside Animal Hospital because her mother and father both had their ears cropped there but I am just awaiting to see other people's opinions.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Sometimes its not about the price either, alot of people want to see good crops and ask for pictures from the vet of previous crop jobs. If you like the look of the sire and dam, you might want to stick with them. If you go for whats cheaper, sometimes you get what you pay for.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
I am located in Southern California(Los Angeles). I am considering going to the Riverside Animal Hospital because her mother and father both had their ears cropped there but I am just awaiting to see other people's opinions.
That's Dr. Jezbera, who I use for cropping my dogs. He does beautiful work, I think he's the best in the area. Couldn't recommend him more!

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
California is an exceptionaly large state. Where in CA are you looking? In LA there is La Bounty and Jezberra. I think they charge about 250-300 for cropping. In Sacramento there is Dr. Frace and he charges about 600.
There's also Dr. Zarilli in Irvine, although he's very expensive. Of the three vets, I think Dr. Jezbera does the best work, but this is a personal preference thing. I do NOT recommend Dr. La Bounty for other reasons-the OP can PM me if they want more clarification about that.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
im not from cali, i live in indiana and i called around and found a vet who crops ears, so i would start looking for a vet. my pup is 12 weeks old and he is just a pound or two away from having them cropped, my vet recomended 12 pounds before cropping. now im paying 150 dollars for the surgery, and another 30 for sutcher removal, and then another 8-10 for every resetting but thats here, ive heard california is expencive.
If your puppy isn't even 12 lbs. at 12 weeks, then it's awfully small. That's about what I'd expect a 6-7 week old puppy to weigh.

Most talented ear cropping vets recommend cropping from 8-10 weeks of age, with the window for cropping closing at 12 weeks.

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
That is really small. I have a female pup that was 13 weeks yesterday and she is 22#.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Dr Butchko Veterinary Hospital
5488 Mission Blvd
Riverside CA 92509

It is a teaching Veterinary Hospital.
They crop, I don't have experience with their cropping but have used them for other needs. The students are usually flippant, but the doctors excellent.
They don't take reservations and don't quote prices on the phone - they are usually inexpensive. Maybe some one else can comment on the quality of their crop. I usually see show dogs in the lobby when I've been.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
Dr Butchko Veterinary Hospital
5488 Mission Blvd
Riverside CA 92509

It is a teaching Veterinary Hospital.
They crop, I don't have experience with their cropping but have used them for other needs. The students are usually flippant, but the doctors excellent.
They don't take reservations and don't quote prices on the phone - they are usually inexpensive. Maybe some one else can comment on the quality of their crop. I usually see show dogs in the lobby when I've been.
I think Dr. Butchko does very nice ears for boxers, but I really don't care too much for the way his crops look on dobermans.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I can vouch for Dr.Jezbera, had my girl cropped by him at 11wks old. His crop looks very good and he has loads of experience with specialty in the Doberman breed. I've heard nothing but good things about his work. And his cost is very reasonable, I would definitely pay for the aftercare.

Reactions: p8ballmom

·
Registered
49 Posts
I don't like Butchko his prices for a crop aren't as reasonable as Jezbera and I have seen some of Butchko works and aren't a fan by no means. He is fine with other things , but a dobie crop not so much. Maybe breeds whom look great with shorter crops would be fine there, but dobie ears im not 100 percent sold. I say go with Jezbera at Riverside Animal Hospital. I got my dobies ears done here and am happy with the results. My father loved the crop and got his mini schnauzer pup done here too and he is happy as well. Jezbera charges 280 for the crop with no after care. and $15 for stitch removal or anything else afterward regarding the ear unless you get after care package then everything including stitch removal and posting is included. I actually got a quote from one of butchko's tech over the phone they told me 300 for the crop.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Dr. Eib in Fresno does some pretty nice crops, also. But I've heard that be can be pretty inconsistent, I'm not really sure- the ones I have seen have been lovely.

This is one of Dr. Eib's crops (they weren't 100% standing here yet, though):

·
Registered
667 Posts
We used Dr Jezberra also and chose the option of the aftercare done by his staff. Since Rush is our first Doberman I was a paranoid mom n called with many questions n showed up several times because I was concerned. Both Dr J n his staff were always helpful n put me at ease.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Axel is getting his ears cropped on June 5th by Susan Barette in Sacramento. We are paying $697, that includes labs, surgery, iv, pills, pain patch, 10 days high protein dog food, fish oil, and all postings in till ears stand. She has been cropping ears for 33 years and has cropped over 9,000 dogs. While waiting in the lobby we saw three other Dobies who recently had their ears done and they all looked great, and we also saw photos of other Dobies with their ears done by her. We are very impressed with her so far :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts