Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone, I just put a deposit down on a Doberman puppy, will get it in a couple of weeks, when she will be 8 weeks old. While I do like the "cropped ears" Doberman "look", I am not sure will I actually crop my dog's ears or not. Has anyone cropped their dogs ears? Were they in pain? How long did it take for the ears to stand up? Did you ever regret that decision? I've had German shepherds in the past ( still do ), and as you know, their ears naturally stand up, so I didn't have to crop them. I appreciate and welcome any/all the answers. Thank you.

·
ಠ_ಠ
6,564 Posts
Who's the breeder? They should be handling the crop for you, and sending puppy home fully healed with ears in posts already...

Reactions: LadyDi and MMcCown

·
Registered
9,475 Posts
Hi Everyone, I just put a deposit down on a Doberman puppy, will get it in a couple of weeks, when she will be 8 weeks old. While I do like the "cropped ears" Doberman "look", I am not sure will I actually crop my dog's ears or not. Has anyone cropped their dogs ears? Were they in pain? How long did it take for the ears to stand up? Did you ever regret that decision? I've had German shepherds in the past ( still do ), and as you know, their ears naturally stand up, so I didn't have to crop them. I appreciate and welcome any/all the answers. Thank you.
Even though, ideally you have purchased a puppy from a breeder who has their puppies cropped (and healed and in at least their first posts) this doesn't always happen. So some answers to your questions.

I've had Doberman, mostly since 1959--my first show prospect was my first Dobe and every Doberman I've had has been cropped, docked and their dew claws removed by the breeder before I got them. That means also that the ears were cropped by a vet who crops show crops (which is where all my dogs have started out) and for the record--not all crops are good crops even though the cropper may have been cropping for 'years'--the vets who do really good crops on Dobes are few and far between and there are a lot of bad crops around--the good crops are done by vets who can give an 8 week old puppy a crop that will suit him and look good when he's grown.

Pain, in my experience is minimal--these days with inhalent anesthesia the puppies have been playing by the time they have recovered from the anesthetic. And most vets now give a few days of pain meds to go with the puppy after cropping.

How long it takes for ears to stand varies widely--it depends on the crop, the quality of the ear cartilage and the posting following cropping and healing. I had one puppies with a very long show crop who was posted as soon as his ears were entirely healed (about three weeks from surgery--two weeks with sutured edges and about one more after the sutures were removed). He was posted twice (4 and 5 days ) and his ears stood and never had to be posted again--the vet who cropped him could hardly believe his eyes--he was sure a crop that long would never stand. And I had one dog with one ear which I posted and posted and posted--and we went to shows with that one ear posted-took it down just before he went in the ring and reposted it as soon as he was through in the ring. He was nearly finished before that ear finally stood. About 18 or 20 months as I recall.

The average would be something more like about the time they have finished teething--teethng usually starts at around 4 months and all of my dogs have had all adult teeth in by the time they were 6 months old.

I've never regretted my decision to crop--the standard says "cropped" and the first Dobermans I really saw came in to the show ring after Great Danes at a dog show my college roommate had dragged me to. So my vision and what I expect when someone says Doberman is a biggish, glossy dog--looking at the world with ears and tail up.

I've seen some stunning uncropped dogs and while I found them beautiful too--they never really matched my vision of Doberman.

dobebug

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
24,830 Posts
If you decide to get your puppy's ears cropped, have a time set up with the vet even before you bring the puppy home. Ideally, your puppy should be cropped at 7-9 weeks, and no later than 12 weeks (which is pushing it), so you can see you won't have a lot of time to make arrangements if you pick her up at 8 weeks. Like Dobebug said, good ear croppers are hard to find, and now, with the pandemic, it can be even harder. It is worth a little bit of a trip, several hours, even, to find a vet who will do a good job.

This thread says a little about the kinds of things you should be looking for in your vet cropper:

This thread gives some names and recommendations of vet to go to around the country:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts