Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I have a couple of questions...

How would a Doberman male or female get along with another dog in the house, more specifically a female Cock-a-poo. My mother has a 6 year old Cock-a-poo which is a great dog but quite an attention whore. I have read that female dobeys require much more attention but are smarter than the goofy independent males... is this true? If I were to get a female dobey, would I be okay? or should I strictly stick with a male?

Any info would be greatly appreciated

Thanks,
Paul

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
Our female dobe Amy was 4 y/o when our son got a male YorkiePoo Trevor and a close friend got the girl littermate Molly.
- we babysit the wee dogs often / Amy gets along very well with the two (but our dobe was OB trained, as a puppy)

·
Registered
28 Posts
I think it really comes down to the individual dog. If you rescue an adult dog you have some background hopefully. I've had male and female dobies. My boy tank is now a year and a half and he is the least independent dog i've had. I have a small female chihuahua mix and a female medium dog i'm fostering/keeping. They get along great but I wouldnt trust them together alone. Tank's just to strong and he could hurt the little one by accident. My advice is talk to people on this forum and dont rush into anything. Nobody wants to see a dog have to be returned or rehomed. good luck

·
joie de vivre
11,274 Posts
Hard to say. Depends greatly on the individual dogs. One of my girls I don't leave alone with small dogs, or female dogs of any size. It's a problem waiting to happen if left unsupervised so she's just not ever given the opportunity. My other girl is pretty much fine with all dogs, all sexes, all sizes so long as they don't get in her face.

Just wanted to clarify...did you say you heard the females require more attention and the males are independent? I'd say that's totally backwards. The females tend to be more independent and the males tend to be super attention-driven.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I had a 2 year old male dobie and 2 femail yorkie-poohs.
They get along great!

THEN

NOW

1 - 5 of 5 Posts