Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
141 - 160 of 160 Posts

· Registered
8,076 Posts
Haha brum, that's my parents driveway she is standing in. Or is it the 18th hole? So hard to tell with that white yucky stuff.

· Registered
4,856 Posts
I think ******* looks much better here, without the help of her Mom's lousy stacking job!! :emo:

Don't they always do it better? Rah when outside can stack himself and it makes his round croup and low tailset much better :) ******* (sorry I spelled it with a Z before!) looks so regal here!

And I love doggie flewy heads (like MaryJo said) - my first dobe had such loose lips, but I loved it!

Like the others said - what they look like has nothing to do with what sort of pets they make. if it makes everyone feel better, I will post a pic of half-bald tyler :)

· Premium Member
9,170 Posts
Don't they always do it better? Rah when outside can stack himself and it makes his round croup and low tailset much better :) ******* (sorry I spelled it with a Z before!) looks so regal here!

And I love doggie flewy heads (like MaryJo said) - my first dobe had such loose lips, but I loved it!

Like the others said - what they look like has nothing to do with what sort of pets they make. if it makes everyone feel better, I will post a pic of half-bald tyler :)
Oh yes Kim - lets see Tyler!! I always love your pictures :)

I'm hoping to see the Rah boy again someday - he makes quite the impression!

I know that Louise has a more correct (not perfect) head, but I like being about to grab a bunch of Velma's face in my hands and smooch her.

· Registered
22 Posts
Went looking for some photos of Bella,only ones i have were taken at almost dark,so prob dont show you much but i think she looks ok.These are just her natural stance,she has never done any show work,she is another i rehomed at 10 months.These photos were taken about 6mths ago at 2 1/2 years.Sorry about thumbnails but cant work out how to post pictures.

Attachments

· Registered
1,064 Posts
Hi DobeMom616,

You want a critique on Cole? ACK!!! I hate doing these on the show dogs--owners tend to be much owchier about commentary than the average pet owner.

. . .SNIP. . .

And I may like the picture of him as a 4 year old best of all.
I am a little thick skinned after showing that is for sure. Standing at ringside you can hear some really unflattering comments about your dog. I also had the chance to have him critiqued by Theresa Mullen at Metro Baltimore DPC last year.

I agree, he is not flashy and is a little lippy. Not very angular, but not terribly straight. Compact and square. He definitely is a late bloomer. The 4yr old pic he was about 87 lbs. He finished at 78. He currently is at 85 lbs.

· Premium Member
9,170 Posts
Is this really how it is? If you were a newbie you would be afraid to jump in.
You will find ugly nasty people in any activity you would ever care to do. There are some truly catty people at the Doberman ring............but there are also some of the finest people I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. It is what you make of it........ I would say that if you get your feelings hurt easily due to what some thoughtless person might say about your dog in your hearing.......... then you might want to reconsider. However, most things that people say have at least some basis in fact so you can also learn a lot from what you overhear at the show ring.........especially when you are new and no one really knows who you are :)

I always keep in mind that no dog is perfect, and each judge has a picture of the perfect Doberman in their mind and they are trying to find a match.......sometimes they are just dead blind with their choices.........especially when they look right past MY bitch <grin>.

· Premium Member
9,170 Posts
I am a little thick skinned after showing that is for sure. Standing at ringside you can hear some really unflattering comments about your dog. I also had the chance to have him critiqued by Theresa Mullen at Metro Baltimore DPC last year.

I agree, he is not flashy and is a little lippy. Not very angular, but not terribly straight. Compact and square. He definitely is a late bloomer. The 4yr old pic he was about 87 lbs. He finished at 78. He currently is at 85 lbs.
My skin has gotten thicker also!! I will say that sometimes the stuff I overhear is good - so it goes both ways.

Cole is a nice looking boy - not perfect, and not flashy.............guess he would not have made it to the top 20..........but 1/2 of the top 20 should not have made it there either - LOL!

· Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
I would say that if you get your feelings hurt easily due to what some thoughtless person might say about your dog in your hearing.......... then you might want to reconsider. However, most things that people say have at least some basis in fact so you can also learn a lot from what you overhear at the show ring.........especially when you are new and no one really knows who you are :)
QUOTE]

Man, oh man-I *hated* it once people got to know who I was at ringside..I missed out on SO much gossip after that! LOLOL. The things I overheard when no one knew who I was...I could write a book.

Personally, if I feel the need to express myself about a dog I don't care for at ringside, I use: "Wow". That covers so much with just three letters, and can be taken any way someone wants to take it. A friend uses the term "stylish" for those moments.

There are bottom feeders (wannabe's who will never be) in every walk of life-the show world is no different. But since you ARE putting your dog out on public display, you do need to be prepared to hear feedback. Not everyone is going to like your dog, and that's something you learn to live with and let roll off your back.

· Registered
4,408 Posts
I always keep in mind that no dog is perfect, and each judge has a picture of the perfect Doberman in their mind and they are trying to find a match.......sometimes they are just dead blind with their choices.........especially when they look right past MY bitch <grin>.
That is funny. I think I will remember that for future reference. I`m going to hit some shows (close ones this summer) and will watch and listen--no one will know me-I will be like a fly on a wall. Maybe I will even walk away learning something.
My sister used to show horses (walking & road horses) She says its always subjective and the same thing goes on there. She loved it and made great friends though when she did it.

· Premium Member
9,170 Posts
That is funny. I think I will remember that for future reference. I`m going to hit some shows (close ones this summer) and will watch and listen--no one will know me-I will be like a fly on a wall. Maybe I will even walk away learning something.
My sister used to show horses (walking & road horses) She says its always subjective and the same thing goes on there. She loved it and made great friends though when she did it.
Have fun! I forget where you live - my memory for that kind of stuff is the pits.

The Doberman standard is a really well written one AND the DPCA put out a really nice illustrated standard this past year - I think it was mailed to judges as well ...........not positive on that. However, there is wiggle room for prefrences in it. Some judges take that wiggle room to extremes and some are just freaking blind OR are thinking of some other breeds standard when they are judging Dobermans - LOL! Some judges are really good, and even an excellent handler can't fool them - they will find the best dog/bitch there that day.

Some faults are considered major faults and some are not. Judges may be really honing in on one thing or another in the ring. I could be that they are really looking for good fronts because they think that fronts are a problem in the breed. That is fine as long as the dog they pick is not crippled in the rear - LOL! They may be looking for the most "balanced" dog - but if the most balanced dog is the one that is stick straight in both the front and back (they balance each other) - then it is not doing the breed any favors.

I know that the shows that Louise has been in these past few months with large entries have been full of some good and not so good examples of the breed. My bitch is nice (not perfect), but so are 10 others.......... none of them exactly the same.

The first few shows I went to nobody knew me from Adam, and it was interesting just to listen......... of course I did not have a clue in heck as to what I was looking at. Then I started studying the standard and standing with a mentor who would help me see what I was looking at. My complaint has always been that if the darn dogs would freeze into position for about 15 mintues I would have the time to really look at each one............no such luck. Not only do you need to "know" the standard, you need to be able to "see" it fast. :) I'm still learning the standard, but am getting better........now I just need to get out to some shows!

· Registered
1,064 Posts
. . .SNIP. . ..........especially when you are new and no one really knows who you are :)

I
Murreydobe;51437. . . SNIP. . . Man said:
I am lucky. Cole finished in 21 shows. Most people still do not know who I am. :) I plan to keep it that way.:sunglasse

· Registered
4,408 Posts
Have fun! I forget where you live - my memory for that kind of stuff is the pits.
I live in M0.(burbs of St. Louis)
I checked Jack Onofrio dog site. Gray Summit (not to far from me) May 4-5-6Not sure of any others. I have been there before--its Purinas` farm??? They have animals etc. (for the public to view)
I guess I won`t be a fly on the wall--I will have to be a gnat in the grass--I think its outside.
I think Tamora`s breeder goes to that show as well as the gal that gives me privates (she`s into obedience and utility after the dog gets its ch).I still plan on watching from the sidelines than maybe say hello.
You explained confirmation very well. It makes more sense now. Thank you. I might put T up for comments here (not sure). I would probably learn too. I think all the dogs on the forum are beautiful in different ways. I guess to be in confirmation you just have to have more rights than wrongs on that day.
Thanks again.

· Got mutt?
Leo, Lily, and Simon
15,476 Posts
Wow, this thread is 6 years old.

First impression of the red bitch is that she's maybe 10 pounds underweight. The fawn bitch isn't as bad, but could stand to gain a few pounds, also.

· Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,837 Posts
poor body condition.

thin, rough coats, no body.

conformation............ not sure where to start on these dogs.....down faced, stove pipe necks, bad neck sets, topline not too bad, no depth of body, very poor angulation off many joints, front assemblies way too far forward, soft pasterns on the red, feet ok.

pet quality for sure.

have they been wormed lately?

how much a day do you feed and what brand of dog food?

· u mad?
6,502 Posts
poor body condition.

thin, rough coats, no body.

conformation............ not sure where to start on these dogs.....down faced, stove pipe necks, bad neck sets, topline not too bad, no depth of body, very poor angulation off many joints, front assemblies way too far forward, soft pasterns on the red, feet ok.

pet quality for sure.

have they been wormed lately?

how much a day do you feed and what brand of dog food?
I would have to agree with all of this. I don't know much about conformation but I can see some of the issues there. Your red bitch is far too skinny for my liking.

I'm also curious about feeding and about activity levels.

· Registered
6,944 Posts
These are two of my girls. the Red is 11 months old in this picture (bad free stack i know) and Mun the Fawn is about 17 months. Very hard to get ok looking pictures by myself. Can you guys tell me what you think?
Please create an intro thread and tell us more about yourself and your four fur kids :)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

141 - 160 of 160 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.