Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
21 - 40 of 160 Posts

· Registered
4,856 Posts
razzle's biggest problem is living on the west coast. she is supposed to be here in NJ with me.

· Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
LapDog said:
Its awesome how they learn to to eventually stand, tail up, ears up lol
To a certain degree, that's just temperament/genetics. Both of the dogs whose pics I've posted had very little actual show training at the time those pics were taken. That was the second time the red male had been stacked in his life, the first time had been about 8 months prior to that.

Dogs can certainly be trained to hold their tails and ears up, and proper paw placement to free stack..but it's just easier all the way around to find confident dogs who naturally have good body language.

Here's the red male at about 5 months of age. This pic was taken from a distance, cropped and enlarged. As you can see, he naturally stands pretty close to the stacked position.

· Registered
273 Posts
doberkim said:
first cyrus - and i adore cyrus - i think youre website has better pics of him on there, cause my favorite isnt in your gallery... or maybe i just saw it posted.

love cyrus's feet. nice and tight. good rear angulation in my book, and a pretty good topline. nice tailset. great head, lovely planes, the first pic has a lovely arch to his neck and it flows into his shoulder/back very nicely - however, not in the other two pics, where he seems sorta hunchey (but he also looks really short-backed in one of the pics too). he looks to be in better condition in the first pic, has a nice tuck up, and looks a little heavier in the other shots contributing to his hump. the only real thing that i dont like on your boy is how his chest looks in the one shot - almost bowling-ball-ish, but its not as significant in the other shots to bother me, so a lot is how he is stacked. a bit lippy, but thats how i like my dobes :) very masculine face, and you know hes all male.
Most of those pictures were in my camera, so they were us just fiddling around. I don't have any of his specials career win photos scanned (the computer with the photo editing software is dead), so I don't have anything recent. But, you're right he does have a lot of front, and he is lippy. The pictures where he looks heavier and hunchy he was on hiatus from the ring (plus it was over 100 degrees). He's so short-backed that he looked odd showing around here as a puppy. In this area most of the puppies were from a popular stud who was in Indiana at the time, and they were all long. He's also kind of a big dog, top end of standard. In the picture where he's sitting next to Dagger, you can see how much bigger he is (not that Dagger was a big dog).

I'll try and get some of the more recent ones scanned.

Here's a puppy pic - 14 weeks

and a head shot - taken at 2004 Nationals - 18 months old

· Registered
273 Posts
Murreydobe said:
To a certain degree, that's just temperament/genetics. Both of the dogs whose pics I've posted had very little actual show training at the time those pics were taken. That was the second time the red male had been stacked in his life, the first time had been about 8 months prior to that.

Dogs can certainly be trained to hold their tails and ears up, and proper paw placement to free stack..but it's just easier all the way around to find confident dogs who naturally have good body language.
I agree, and attitude goes a looonngg way in the show ring. A confident dog has a "look at me" attitude. I can't tell you how many dogs I've seen slink around the ring.

· Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
Blackdog said:
Cheryl - Rush is very pretty!
Thanks! He's got a lot of good qualities, it just was never in the cards for him to be a show dog. Uniball, with ear cartilege so heavy the ears wouldn't stand..they were strung when he was about 14 months old. LOL, he's in the category of "amazingly good quality pet quality dog", and a happy goofball.

· Registered
4,856 Posts
i still think cyrus should come live with me too.

wanna trade a young blue boy who just put a hole in my comforter while i was cleaning out his crate? :) apparently when chewing stuffies, its hard to tell the difference between stuffy and bed.

· Registered
273 Posts
doberkim said:
i still think cyrus should come live with me too.

wanna trade a young blue boy who just put a hole in my comforter while i was cleaning out his crate? :) apparently when chewing stuffies, its hard to tell the difference between stuffy and bed.
There are days I'd gladly send him to you. He can be a handful.
(although right now he's being good - he's licking a kitten's tummy)

· Registered
273 Posts
Murreydobe said:
LOL..they're both nice, Razz is considerably nicer as you can see! She's "the great black hope" around here..getting prettier all the time, and looking like she *might* wind up a special. We'll see.

Here's a head shot from 8 months:
Very pretty.
Don't just love Tom's photos? And they're so nice to deal with.

· Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
Blackdog said:
Very pretty.
Don't just love Tom's photos? And they're so nice to deal with.
Yeah, I love his work. It infuriated me when I saw him working at the Nationals for the last few years, since I didn't have any dogs with me. So I was really, really happy to see him out here for the big Indio cluster in January..everything finally came into alignment-they were there, I was there WITH dog!

People are free to critique both Rush and Razzle to their heart's content..then I'll jump in and say "yea or nay", and tell you about things that can't be seen in the photos. For some reason I can only figure out how to post thumbnails, sorry about that!

21 - 40 of 160 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.