Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
4,856 Posts
first ill post pics of rah for everyone to critique.

this is almost 2 months ago (wow, time flies) - self stacking to stare at kittens.
he was under 1 yo here.

these two are over 1 month old - right around his 1st bday. his first attempt at being hand-stacked by me.

· Registered
4,856 Posts
first cyrus - and i adore cyrus - i think youre website has better pics of him on there, cause my favorite isnt in your gallery... or maybe i just saw it posted.

love cyrus's feet. nice and tight. good rear angulation in my book, and a pretty good topline. nice tailset. great head, lovely planes, the first pic has a lovely arch to his neck and it flows into his shoulder/back very nicely - however, not in the other two pics, where he seems sorta hunchey (but he also looks really short-backed in one of the pics too). he looks to be in better condition in the first pic, has a nice tuck up, and looks a little heavier in the other shots contributing to his hump. the only real thing that i dont like on your boy is how his chest looks in the one shot - almost bowling-ball-ish, but its not as significant in the other shots to bother me, so a lot is how he is stacked. a bit lippy, but thats how i like my dobes :) very masculine face, and you know hes all male.

for rommel, its hard to say since a lot of the shots arent at good angles to see him - taken from above, hes not parallel to the camera, etc. hes immature, and his chest hasnt dropped. he is long, and has a rollercoaster topline (you can see an example in rah's first shot) and a low tail set (not as low as rah's). he also has a very long tail for the breed. hes long in the loin from what i can see in the shots, and may also elbow out. cant say much about the head since its not a good shot, but i know from past pics he has a very bitchy head - smaller snipey muzzle, lacking in underjaw. as he grows he should hopefully look less narrow and fill out a lot more - cant say much about his chest since like rah, hes young and it just simply isnt there. rear angulation looks good, cant say much about the front, in the one shot that i can see it, hes also easy-westy so i think that he is just standing funny there. good coat, in pretty good body condition.

· Registered
4,856 Posts
Lexus said:
Wow Kim, I can't believe it has been that long, his coat looks so dark, he hardly looks blue! How tall is he? I think his height looks decieving b/c he's a leggy guy!

I'll bite, I don't know doodley about confirmation unless they are WAY wrong, but I'm more then happy to have Lex evalutated by the "know how" people ;) I'll try to stack (laughable!) her and get some pics this weekend. She just my pet, so I'm up for an honest critique for the fun of it!

cant get an accurate heigh measurement on rah - he never sits still enough! he is very dark, but hes still noticeably blue. hes also fighting some demodex right now, so im hoping his body will fight it so i dont have to ivomec him! hes VERY tall though - i believe last time we tried, he was at least 29 inches, and hes all leg. his front leg alone is almost 2 feet tall, so...

ill critique my own dog too, if people want :) i have some stacked shots of bowie somewhere...

· Registered
4,856 Posts
yes, please post a pic of duchess - from what i have seen, she does have pretty good conformation.... shes got a great head though, feminine but not snipey, wonderful eye shape and color, a great expression! and shes in great shape!

· Registered
4,856 Posts
in that shot his tail doesnt look as long, but he definitely has the start of a gay tail there. also long in the croup. really thick neck and throatlatch (ive found this to be one of the most telling places you can tell a well bred from a not-so-well bred dobe, ironically - in my experiences, well bred dobes have much cleaner necks and throats! rah has a really thick one too - sometimes you can barely see any definition) - hes lacking good markings on his face and hes a little down-faced.

and bowies pics are on my last computer, so its gonna have to wait :(

· Registered
4,856 Posts
razzle's biggest problem is living on the west coast. she is supposed to be here in NJ with me.

· Registered
4,856 Posts
i still think cyrus should come live with me too.

wanna trade a young blue boy who just put a hole in my comforter while i was cleaning out his crate? :) apparently when chewing stuffies, its hard to tell the difference between stuffy and bed.

· Registered
4,856 Posts
bowie moved like a dream -- he was as oversized as they could come, had a low tailset, HUGELY sloping croup, cowhocked a bit, straight in front - but when that dog trotted, he moved like a dream, even when he was neurological. he floated, he had extension, he had reach.

no one wants to critique rah? :) you all scared of the big blue butthead?

· Registered
4,856 Posts
well, semi-updated pics of rah - the first ones are him at under 12 months old - these are him at about 16 months old. he's almost 2 years old now, so hes maturing... slowly :)

This is him being stacked by an english cocker breeder/handler - we gave up on trying to get his tail up cause hes so darn long :) and his front legs could be better under him.

· Registered
4,856 Posts
In terms of Jazmine, a few things - I definitely think with better stacking she could look better. Her topline is fairly soft, and she has that dreaded hump. She definitely needs more muscling, and perhaps with that muscling she would have a better neck with some arch (or again, with better stacking). The biggest thing taht strikes me is she has an incredibly doggy head for a bitch.

For mischa, she looks a tad easty-westy but that could just be the picture. IMO, she's overweight and needs more muscling. Her topline is nice. I think she could use more front, her front assembly is far forward and she needs more chest. Nice feet, nice coloring. Downfaced, lacks underjaw. beautiful ears :)

now my noodle -
SLightly downfaced, a little flewy. lacks chest, brisket in that shot comes nowhere near the elbow (please god, let the chest keep dropping!). you cannot see his awesomely tight cat feet! Straight in the front (can someone else comment on his rear?). I think he has a nice neck, and he's very well muscled, you just cannot see it in th epics (the damn blue coat - it never shows muscle, and this boy is PURE muscle!). Bad topline, besides of which this dog is almost 32 inches tall and long as a freight train. Low tail set.

I'm going to get new stacked pics of him today, and of tyler - tyler actually except for his front is pretty well put together!

And now we come to Ringo. Ringo has some MAJOR problems - namely again, that he doesn't live here in NJ with me, and instead is located overseas. Very unfortunate for him :) He's a nice looking dog - shortbacked, nice coat. Needs to be shipped to the US! What's his breeding, dizzy?

· Registered
4,856 Posts
dobebug said:
Hi Doberkim,

On your boy, Rah....his coat is still looking great--that's impressive all by itself since blues are the worst for having major hair loss from either CDA or skin problems early in life.

He is a little downfaced, needs more underjaw and is somewhat lippy. He is very straight in front and is also bench fronted--that's probably why his chest looks so shallow--the front assembly drops in front of the deepest part of the brisket. His neck is OK--and would look better than it does if he had more layback of shoulder--but it still wouldn't solve the problem of where the whole front assembly sits on the body. Pronounced withers--topline is a little wavey. His pasterns are very hard but that tends to go along with a straight front more often than not.

Rear--ummmmmm--very round croup and the tail set appears to be low as well but you can have a round croup without having a low tail set, I just can't tell from these pictures. His rear angulation isn't very good--but it gives him a match for the front--he doesn't have enough bend of stifle and also doesn't have enough thickness in the knee to hock (lower thigh)--looks wispy. This is a pretty common problem in Dobes and one of the major breeding lines can often be spotted because they are too light and undermuscled in the rear for their fronts.

I don't think that Rah is as long as you think he is Kim--he's big (as in tall) but the biggest thing that makes him look so long is the set foreward front--I suspect that if you had one of the official measuring devices (I went blank on their name--they actually have one) he would measure square--even with the bench front. If he didn't have the bench front he'd look less tubular which always makes them look longer than they are.

thanks bug - ill get new shots, the little bald spots on his back leg are actually growing in (yes, hes growing NEW HAIR!), and im happy that at almost 2 hes thinning but still has a fairly present hair coat :) even TYLER is growing fur!

he does have a low tail set -even if he lifts his tail up (which he does carry it up most of the time) its clearly low (just like bowies).

i think overall rah matches himself nicely - hes got all the same faults and his front matches the back end. and youre right - hes HUGE but he actually is pretty square.

ill just rest on the fact he has amazingly tight feet and nice ears :) oh, and full and proper dentition!

ill have to try for tyler pics soon - tyler has a lovely topline, a great head and neck, and i think his rear angulation is good. but his front is HORRIBLE - not only does he have an extremely straight front and a bench front (worse than rah) but he elbows out something fierce!

· Registered
4,856 Posts
I think ******* looks much better here, without the help of her Mom's lousy stacking job!! :emo:

Don't they always do it better? Rah when outside can stack himself and it makes his round croup and low tailset much better :) ******* (sorry I spelled it with a Z before!) looks so regal here!

And I love doggie flewy heads (like MaryJo said) - my first dobe had such loose lips, but I loved it!

Like the others said - what they look like has nothing to do with what sort of pets they make. if it makes everyone feel better, I will post a pic of half-bald tyler :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.