Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i have been researching about dobermans for over a year now and absolutely love the breed. I have been searching for a breeder for about two months now, i am 16 years old and love dogs i train dogs well and have a great connection with them. Anyways i was wondering if you guys knew any breeders in New york or any surronding states i am willing to drive 3 and a half hours. Thanks!:grin2:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah everyone is on board but I'll be taking full responsibility for the dog I checked the dcpa as well as akc lots of the breeders have already had their litters :/

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
You may have to put your name on a wait list, especially if you find a breeder whose dogs you really like.

Not sure if a rescue Dobe would interest you guys or not but if so check out petfinder for your area, so many awesome Dobes waiting for their forever homes.

Good luck with your search.

·
Big Lil pup
6,152 Posts
@ chris

I absolutely agree with Darkevs. You must have the 100% commitment, support and backing of your parents. This is assuming that you live at home. If you are emancipated or in another living arrangement, you must accurately assess both your financial ability and the time requirements to raise, own and maintain a heathy, happy Doberman. Dobes are a very expensive breed to own. They also require a serious time commitment to be content dogs.

Another consideration is down the line. Are you planning on going to college. Have you thought about the potential hassle of trying find a place to live with a Doberman, if and when you move out on your own.

I am not saying this cannot be done. I had and American Eskimo as a young teen, who was my primary responsibly. He was a total pistol. I did have to re-home him at one point as I was moving out of state to go to school. Fortunately, we had a family friend who adored him and was very eager to give him a new home. It worked out really well. I was lucky. Many are not.

Just some food for thought....

John
Portland OR

Edit: I didn't catch your response before I posted this. For the most part. however, my comment still stands.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts