Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When our bitch was 12 weeks she was 19 pounds.
She is now 18 weeks weighing in at 35 pounds. She has that beautiful hour glass shape (looking from top down)

Just curious to get some feedback as to the average weight gain for puppy Doberman bitches?

We feed Martins k9 formula with Nupro. This combo is awesome for any dog, but I was curious to know what other owners have experienced with respect to average weekly weight gain for bitches.

Thanks

Dillon

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Duchess is about 63 pounds full grown....I wouldnt worry about the numbers so much...all dogs are different...Duch has a smaller build..very girly...
just as long as you see that nice shape...and the tummy tucks up nice...and her ribs arent TOO obvious...but they are easily felt..and seen alittle on occassion depending on the way her body is moved...

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
I think it was CoAl-s-Mom who said there weight is normally 10 pounds for every month that they are old. So a 4 month old pup would be about 40 pounds give or take a few.

Jasmine is almost 5 months (Dec.6th) and she weighs close to 50 pounds.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
A general rule is for every month, 10 lbs.
For example, 1 month 10
2 months 20
3 months 30 and so on, like Okie said, give or take a few.
All dogs are different, so this isn't 100% accurate for every dog. Generally standard male puppies are at the upper end of that scale. Just make sure visually she looks healthy and in good weight for her height and bone.
You need to be really careful she doesn't gain weight too quickly; growth that is too fast in large breed can cause problems, like pano.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
FiFi is just shy of 19 weeks and weighs in at 35 lbs.

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
Gotta love that name FiFi!!!

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Yeah, very un-Doberman like, but it also entertains when introducing her to people.... so we sometimes depending on whom we're talking to, say "this is Uncle Bob (our Pug) and his bitch FiFi". Makes people crack up...

·
Registered
419 Posts
I'm confused. The birthdate of my Red male was 6/11, meaning he's almost 6 months old. At least that's what the Broward County Rescue Center's paper reads.

I had him weighed at the vet last week and he weighed in at only 34 pounds.

That seems REALLY small for what you all are saying. You think his birthdate could be wrong?

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
34lbs does sound small for a male dobe at 6 months. Dobes mature at different rates, but my male was pretty much right at the 10lbs per month mark. By 6 months he was at very least 50+ lbs. Then again......you never know what Yogi's past might have been, he could have been very malnutritioned as a young pup, or had an illness that stunted him a little. As long as he seems happy, bright eyed, and healthy I wouldnt worry about it. If you were just at the vet and you got a clean bill of health, I wouldn't worry to much about his weight. Like you said, who knows.....maybe they got his birthday wrong.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I hope Yogi goes through a growth spurt soon. I WANT him to get bigger because there's currently just not enough Yogi to hug :)

I'm looking at his Broward County Rescue slip and it says that they gave him his Rabie vaccination on 8/25. I know that's early, but some people told me that's just what Counties do. They automatically rabie and fix them.

So, perhaps he's just a small red? I guess we'll see.

Tom

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Yogi said:
I'm confused. The birthdate of my Red male was 6/11, meaning he's almost 6 months old. At least that's what the Broward County Rescue Center's paper reads.

I had him weighed at the vet last week and he weighed in at only 34 pounds.

That seems REALLY small for what you all are saying. You think his birthdate could be wrong?

If the previous owners did not feed him right, or he didn't get much exercise, he could be stunted. I've had a couple of pups like that and they will literally burst out of it with good food and free exercise. The last one was around five months when I got him and his head was large for his body. He was fine in about two months.
He should have all of his permanent teeth if he is six months old, you could check his teeth. If I am wrong on this someone will surely correct me.

Even if he is a small dobe, you still have the personality and that is what you want.

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
Tom, i wouldn't worry too much at this stage keep pumping in the feed and Yogi will do the rest,before you know it you will be asking where he has hid the little dog that you had from rescue!!

·
Registered
419 Posts
Well, he is still losing baby teeth. I just found another one two days ago. (I save them in a small jar.........how pathetic is that? ) :)

So, I don't know what age that makes him. Do you guys/gals?

Some people that haven't seen him in a week say that he's looking bigger, but he doesn't weigh any different. But, I weighed him last week at 34 and the week before at 34. This weekend I'll take him to PetSmart and weigh him and see if he gained weight.

Ahhhh, he slept in my bed with me all night last night for the very first time. He was so good. He didn't wake me up until 6:30 this morning. Very nice. Much better than waking up to a barking crated dog. Yogi's just the best, less than full sized or not :) :) :)

Tom

·
Premium Member
8,766 Posts
if he is still losing teeth, then he is most likely younger than 6 months. This could also explain why he is having housebreaking issues......... he is younger than you think and is incapable of holding it for long periods of time yet.

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
Yogi said:
Well, he is still losing baby teeth. I just found another one two days ago. (I save them in a small jar.........how pathetic is that? ) :)

So, I don't know what age that makes him. Do you guys/gals?

Some people that haven't seen him in a week say that he's looking bigger, but he doesn't weigh any different. But, I weighed him last week at 34 and the week before at 34. This weekend I'll take him to PetSmart and weigh him and see if he gained weight.

Ahhhh, he slept in my bed with me all night last night for the very first time. He was so good. He didn't wake me up until 6:30 this morning. Very nice. Much better than waking up to a barking crated dog. Yogi's just the best, less than full sized or not :) :) :)

Tom
Rommels are in a Ziploc baggie with the date written on it with a sharpie marker.:help_up_2 (And hanging on the side of my fridge)

:emo8: Now that I think about it..........Maybe I AM nuts.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
.... I never find any puppy teeth... bummer!
But I've kept all my kids' teeth. They think it's really gross.

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
I have a few of Jasmine's she just dropped a big one the other day!

1 - 20 of 59 Posts