Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

· Registered
1,040 Posts
Nice post! You reference "local Doberman Group." Define local? I'm in the Bay Area and if there is a way I can add to the group, I'd love to!

BTW, I agree with everything you posted. While walking my girls in Columbia State Park one weekend, I had a woman and her two daughters approach me. She asked if the girls could meet my "girls" as she'd grown up with Dobermans, loved the breed, and her daughters had never been able to actually "meet one." She made the girls approach slowly, hold their hands out, allow my DoberKids to sniff their hand and make the next call. My old girl was very friendly, Blaze liked the older daughter but was somewhat standoff-ish towards the younger one, and Ember was still a pup and she simply stuck to me -- at that point she wasn't too social.

We started talking and at the end of our visit, the mother said, "Thank you for letting us meet your girls and thank you for being such a great ambassador for the breed." That made me all warm and fuzzy inside.

Your experience is what our group definitely aims for every time we are out with our dogs. We are called Dobermans United and we hold meet ups and/or attend doggy events once a month together. You can visit our page here and click on the contact section and e-mail the founders to join up! :mrgreen: And this invitation isn't only for locals, we encourage anyone and everyone to join, we have members from all over the country, the more the merrier!

· Registered
2,418 Posts
IGNORANT people!! :nonono:

Any breed CAN be dangerous... I have been to the dog park that we go to and have seen little dogs with muzzles on them. Ok 1: if the dog needs one why bring it to the park and 2: no one would call a little dog a vicious attack dog now would they??? :nocom:

· Super Moderator
GOT's Kal-Drogo The Horseman (Drogo),TKA, CGC, 7 years; RIP Baron, Miley, Dax, Lonesome, Baron 1
18,781 Posts
We are on our 4th Dobe and all of them would rather lick you and lean against you to be petted than anything else. That said, we live on 8 acres on what used to be a rural area now turned into suburbia. We have 2 neighbors along the back treeline of our property. The one is on his second Doberman and he has invisible fence around his 1 acre and she never leaves his property even without the collar on. The people on the other side of him had one dog that kept running away so they sent it to the SPCA. Like it was dog's fault they made no effort to train it or put a fence up. Then they were idiotic enough to get another one, a female chocolate lab who was about 1 year old. Shortly after the got her, everytime I walked Dobergirl Dax around our property, this dog would come barrelling through the treeline after me or Dax with her hackles up and teeth bared. Keep in mind Dax was trained not to leave our property. She would chase deer, rabbits, whatever, and never, not once left our property. Of course the lab couldn't catch Dax who was already headed towards the house as soon as she heard the lab barking. After about the 4th episode, my husband and I put a fence up along their property and ours so I didn't have to worry about walking my dog on my own property and having it bite me or Dax. We also have people directly next to us who have a 6 year old Jack Russell who is very nasty. They have invisible fence up but sometimes don't put the collar on it and is subsequently ends up on our property. I would not even think of bending down to pet it. She is so nasty and aggressive. Another case of people having no time to train a dog. They both work long hours, have 4 small kids, and the dog is crated most of the time in the garage.

Think what it all comes down to is that it is, for the most part, the human's fault not the dog's. Thanks for this post, I needed to rant about our rude neighbors!

· I Art Therefore I Am
3,813 Posts
Yesterday, the whole neighborhood was out & about enjoying the weather. A few neighbors (who've previously stated their uneasiness about Dobermans)gathered between my property and the next chit chatting while the kids played hop scotch on my driveway. Cinny was right in the middle of it all behaving like a perfect lady.

Today, I went to get Cinny's dog license application. The woman behind the counter told me how afraid she was of Dobermans so I politely asked her to come out and meet my dog. She was quite impressed.

Two days in a row Cinny made me proud to be a Doberman owner!

· Registered
1,956 Posts
Pit bulls are a very family loyal breed and in general a very people friendly breed.
I cant stand your "vicious all around" statement, the only reason these dogs are vicious at all is because ignorant people breed and never socialize them and then the owners dont bother to train them. This isnt always the case, any dog can bite, but to label an entire breed as vicious and needing to be banned is just ignorance on the governments part.

You tell me does she look vicious?

Shay looks like a hoot!!! Dare I say -- instigator?? :mrgreen:

· Registered
1,956 Posts
Your experience is what our group definitely aims for every time we are out with our dogs. We are called Dobermans United and we hold meet ups and/or attend doggy events once a month together. You can visit our page here and click on the contact section and e-mail the founders to join up! :mrgreen: And this invitation isn't only for locals, we encourage anyone and everyone to join, we have members from all over the country, the more the merrier!
Okay, you got my attention. The flyer in the Dobermans United site shows Memorial Park in San Ramon. I work in Bishop Ranch and live in Pleasanton. That's practically my backyard!!! You must be a REALLY local bunch!!!

Most of the site says under construction. I'd like to know more about the members before committing. Are they ever going to get that page active that speaks to members? Looks like the information is somewhat stale -- and I don't mean that to come across nasty. So I apologize in advance if it comes across wrong!

· Registered
1,956 Posts
Yesterday, the whole neighborhood was out & about enjoying the weather. A few neighbors (who've previously stated their uneasiness about Dobermans)gathered between my property and the next chit chatting while the kids played hop scotch on my driveway. Cinny was right in the middle of it all behaving like a perfect lady.

Today, I went to get Cinny's dog license application. The woman behind the counter told me how afraid she was of Dobermans so I politely asked her to come out and meet my dog. She was quite impressed.

Two days in a row Cinny made me proud to be a Doberman owner!
That is SOOOO awesome!!! :boldblue:

Reactions: lyngr

· Registered
1,040 Posts
Okay, you got my attention. The flyer in the Dobermans United site shows Memorial Park in San Ramon. I work in Bishop Ranch and live in Pleasanton. That's practically my backyard!!! You must be a REALLY local bunch!!!

Most of the site says under construction. I'd like to know more about the members before committing. Are they ever going to get that page active that speaks to members? Looks like the information is somewhat stale -- and I don't mean that to come across nasty. So I apologize in advance if it comes across wrong!
Hehe it's totally fine! It's a new website and we're still gathering info and pictures to put on there. I'll forward this to the founders and see what we can do. DU is a fairly new group( It was only established one year ago this month) and we've grown really quickly. You can PM a few people on here that know our members, such as Heartbroken and of course, me :)

· Registered
113 Posts
Hehe it's totally fine! It's a new website and we're still gathering info and pictures to put on there. I'll forward this to the founders and see what we can do. DU is a fairly new group( It was only established one year ago this month) and we've grown really quickly. You can PM a few people on here that know our members, such as Heartbroken and of course, me :)
Thanks Christina!

I am Kristena, Twitch's mom.

Yes our group has grown EXTREMELY rapidly and its a challenge to keep up! :mrgreen:

I too hope the site is finished soon! Our website designer just adopted a baby so we havent been pushing too hard but I am sure once things settle down for her it will be up and running in no time.

As for the group, we try to rotate around to dog parks in the bay area. With the winter months and the possibility of rain we have been sticking to 2 different parks in San Jose that are covered in artificial turf so that we dont have to worry about mud pitts (or mud puppies!).

Our members (both people and dogs) come from all walks of life and all shapes and sizes. Some of our members are involved in search & rescue, conformaiton, obedience, agility and therapy work. We have over 80 Doberman families with a total of 87 dogs in the group. A usual meetup typically consists of anywhere from 14-25 dogs at any given time.

We also partner with the DPCA-Northern California branch and are collaborating together on hositing a child safety with dogs seminar.

The group is geared to socialization, responsible ownership and community education.

In addition to monthly meetups we also do other really fun activities! In July we have a booth at the Fremont Dog Show where we will be raffling off prizes and promoting community awareness, we have a weekend camping trip in the works and my personal favorite the Dog Days of Summer at the SF Giants where you can actually bring your dog to the baseball game with you!

Feel free to PM me with any questions you think of about the group.

PS. While our website is still under construction we have been using myspace as a location for all of our meetup pics. This may give you a better feel for the group. MySpace.com - Dobermans United - 27 - Female - San Jose ~ Bay Area, California - www.myspace.com/dobermansunited and MySpace.com - Twitch - 25 - Male - San Jose, California - www.myspace.com/twitchbravo

· Registered
113 Posts
Thanks for the post, Kristena, exactly the info DobeMomToo was looking for. BTW, ddsalazar got one of those fun black t-shirts - are there any more???:)
:biggrin55: Heehee...Delia emailed me yesterday to order you one. I put it in the mail to you this morning!

Delia, if you are reading this sorry if I ruined the surprise!!!

· Registered
2,715 Posts
:biggrin55: Heehee...Delia emailed me yesterday to order you one. I put it in the mail to you this morning!

Delia, if you are reading this sorry if I ruined the surprise!!!

awwwwwww ... you sneaky Dobe people!

Delia - a PM on its way!

sorry, not intending to hijack this thread - it IS about Doberman Bans - back to the topic at hand!

· Registered
408 Posts
IGNORANT people!! :nonono:

Any breed CAN be dangerous... I have been to the dog park that we go to and have seen little dogs with muzzles on them. Ok 1: if the dog needs one why bring it to the park and 2: no one would call a little dog a vicious attack dog now would they??? :nocom:

it is the law here that dobermans, and other category B dogs (four others, such as rottweilers, german shepherds, bull terriers, mastiffs (!)), have to be muzzled when out in public places. at least dobes do not belong to the category A dogs, which are outright banned. these include the pit bull, aikta, neopolitan mastiff, tosa.

however, I have very very rarely seen category B dogs being muzzled in public places. german shepherds are extremely popular in my country, and I have yet to see any with a muzzle!

it is a real shame to have to muzzle a well-brought up doberman. already, the majority of people here are afraid of big black dogs (as most people only have small dogs), and having a muzzle would only reinforce the idea that dobermans are biters etc (when they are not!!)

well, so you in the US and Canada and the UK should count yourself lucky!

· Registered
52 Posts
unable to deal with the criminals they fight the breeds

pitbulls in england transported drugs in their necklace!
giving the police a hard time to get them out they changed the law for them.
now they discuss to kill them all or to demand a license(tests on the owner) when sb wants to have one..which is a stupid idea in my opinion because criminals don t wait to get permission for anything so this will be a trouble only for normal people.

vets and trainers shout it s not the breed it s the owner and some breeders who make bad mixes of dogs just for easy money.
nobody listens.why?
because this way is easier.
and people always search for the easier way when the right one is tough to deal with..not?
i bet my life that when criminals choose shepherd for a breed then they will be banned as well.

in addition media talk about bad news only.. if we really want to stay on media then it wouldn t be much to say that i shouldn t get out of my house what so ever with so much violence all around the world.

a good idea would be ..nice films for dobermanns?
when ther is not one..

21 - 35 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.