Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
1,956 Posts
Okay, this is another topic near and dear to my heart. That will teach me to go thread trolling as a newbie!!! *LOL* :damn:

Anywho -- I am an avid believer that there are few "bad" dogs. I fully believe as human beings, we have created the situation we are now in with certain states, counties and cities "banning" particular breeds. I was very close to the "Whipple" case in San Francisco, and believe me those dogs were "created," not born.

To send a message, hubby and I both have the DCPA message pasted proudly our our vehicles. For my little Escape, we had bumper stickers created that have Dobe heads facing one another and in the center we have "Ban The Deed, Not The Breed." On my husband's truck, complete with Tommy Lift Gate, we went a tad bit bigger. The lift gate is divided into four sections. So on the two ends, we have full bodied Dobermans (one red, one traditional) facing towards the center of the lift gate. In the two remaining sections -- in BIG WHITE LETTERS against the black lift gate, we have the same message -- "Ban the Deed, Not The Breed."

I have to tell you this has received many different reactions, most of them positive. I believe any little thing we can do to get people thinking about their role in the situation, and how we can change it, is helpful.

Thoughts?

Reactions: sebsyd

· Registered
1,956 Posts
cool bumper stickers. IMO, getting the dogs out to pet parks, parks, on the streets to meet people is great for their over all perception by the public. Allowing the public to see what great animals they are is the best prevention to make sure they are not further discriminated against. 2 cents
Absolutely!!! But I have to admit -- after the Whipple case, I don't walk them during "to school" hours. IMHO, people's kids and their upbringing these days is just too unpredictable and California (especially the Bay Area) has gone "dog bite crazy" -- coupled with litigation nuts.

· Registered
1,956 Posts
Pit-Bulls are getting such a bad rap because of all these thugs and gangsta wannabees back yard breeding them and training them for the wrong things if they even train them at all. I think they need to start neutering, muzzling, and walking these people on a leash as they are the real problem.
Agreed. I never bought the "Michael Vick I Knew Nothing" story.

· Registered
1,956 Posts
Interesting description for Europe (BTW, thanks for the link crxman)

"Restrictions against 'guard and protective dogs' : Tosa Inu, American Staffordshire Terrier, Fila Brasileiro, Bull Terrier, Mastiffs (all breeds), German Shepherd, Dobermann and Rottweiler. All dogs with a similar morphology as the above mentioned without pedigree are also restricted (registration and neutering).

That is so open-ended, could cover a LOT of dogs!:confused2
Agreed. We had a Mini-Doxie growing up who would fall under this umbrella. He'd chase you out of my parents room if you went in there to wake my mother up. Course, my Dad created that by slapping at my Mom when she was holding him and saying, "I'm gonna get your Mommy."

Sheesh. Thank God that portion of "idiot" in my bloodline ended with me! :mrgreen:

· Registered
1,956 Posts
Unfortunately, horrible owners have paved the way for politicians to come up with useless laws and leaves responsible owners looking like this--> :strong:

Our local Doberman group specifically aims to change the public perception and we constantly thrive to do the best we possibly can with our dogs to prove that it has not much to do with the dog, but all the world to do with the owner.

BSL is BS.​
Nice post! You reference "local Doberman Group." Define local? I'm in the Bay Area and if there is a way I can add to the group, I'd love to!

BTW, I agree with everything you posted. While walking my girls in Columbia State Park one weekend, I had a woman and her two daughters approach me. She asked if the girls could meet my "girls" as she'd grown up with Dobermans, loved the breed, and her daughters had never been able to actually "meet one." She made the girls approach slowly, hold their hands out, allow my DoberKids to sniff their hand and make the next call. My old girl was very friendly, Blaze liked the older daughter but was somewhat standoff-ish towards the younger one, and Ember was still a pup and she simply stuck to me -- at that point she wasn't too social.

We started talking and at the end of our visit, the mother said, "Thank you for letting us meet your girls and thank you for being such a great ambassador for the breed." That made me all warm and fuzzy inside.

· Registered
1,956 Posts
Pit bulls are a very family loyal breed and in general a very people friendly breed.
I cant stand your "vicious all around" statement, the only reason these dogs are vicious at all is because ignorant people breed and never socialize them and then the owners dont bother to train them. This isnt always the case, any dog can bite, but to label an entire breed as vicious and needing to be banned is just ignorance on the governments part.

You tell me does she look vicious?

Shay looks like a hoot!!! Dare I say -- instigator?? :mrgreen:

· Registered
1,956 Posts
Your experience is what our group definitely aims for every time we are out with our dogs. We are called Dobermans United and we hold meet ups and/or attend doggy events once a month together. You can visit our page here and click on the contact section and e-mail the founders to join up! :mrgreen: And this invitation isn't only for locals, we encourage anyone and everyone to join, we have members from all over the country, the more the merrier!
Okay, you got my attention. The flyer in the Dobermans United site shows Memorial Park in San Ramon. I work in Bishop Ranch and live in Pleasanton. That's practically my backyard!!! You must be a REALLY local bunch!!!

Most of the site says under construction. I'd like to know more about the members before committing. Are they ever going to get that page active that speaks to members? Looks like the information is somewhat stale -- and I don't mean that to come across nasty. So I apologize in advance if it comes across wrong!

· Registered
1,956 Posts
Yesterday, the whole neighborhood was out & about enjoying the weather. A few neighbors (who've previously stated their uneasiness about Dobermans)gathered between my property and the next chit chatting while the kids played hop scotch on my driveway. Cinny was right in the middle of it all behaving like a perfect lady.

Today, I went to get Cinny's dog license application. The woman behind the counter told me how afraid she was of Dobermans so I politely asked her to come out and meet my dog. She was quite impressed.

Two days in a row Cinny made me proud to be a Doberman owner!
That is SOOOO awesome!!! :boldblue:

Reactions: lyngr
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.