Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
2,582 Posts
I was really disappointed when they passed the Pit bull ban in Ontario. Any dog that *looks* like it may have Pit bull in it is restricted. It must be spayed/neutered and muzzled when out in public. If a litter is found it will be destroyed. Over a year ago there was an incident here in Hamilton involving 2 Rotties. The pair had escaped their yard previously and were found at large by the SPCA. They were returned, with the owner promising to reinforce the yard. They didn't do a good enough job and their male and female got out again. They mauled a 5 year old boy. Both have since been destroyed. About 4 months after this incident my neighbors dalmation mix (who appeared to have some terrier features) managed to get out of the yard with their other dog and was picked up by the SPCA. (They weren't able to catch Goldie a shep/husky mix). Due to the ban my neighbor was told that they could not release a *found at large* dog back to its owner. She was told the dog would be PTS. After much searching and lawyer intervention she was able to locate a friend out of province who would take her in and provide a home for her. The SPCA monitors my street and specifically their yard to make sure she doesn't ship Spot home.

I know it's just a matter of time before they start adding other breeds and breed mixes to the list here.

BSL is my biggest pet peeve against BYB. Dogs being bred willy nilly without care as to temperment and stability, not just health and confomation then selling to people who have the cash and are not screened or educated about the breed to ensure that the puppy goes to the best possible home, one that will make sure the dog is a good representative of the breed no matter what the circumstances are.

It's funny (not in a humourous way) that when that poor woman had half her face removed by a dog bite in france(?), no mention of what breed was given until well after the incident. I read later that it was a retreiver, the *great family pet.* I wonder if they'll soon be added to the BSL. When are the law makers and general public going to realize that it is indeed the owner and thier dog and not the breed that needs to be regulated?

Stepping down off my soap box.
Sorry this post was so long and if you read it this far, thanks for reading. <grin>

· Registered
2,582 Posts
I'm curious (being in Ontario where pitbulls are banned)...All these pitbull bite incidents are they biting their own owners/families most of the time or are they biting others in a guarding capacity? Just wondering if this is a family loyal breed or vicious all around.
I don't think it's ever been put together on one page what dog bit friend/family and what dog acted in the capacity of guard or to protect itself from abuse or what dog - while at large triggered the pack prey drive, causing those dogs to attack at random. I would be interested in seeing those kinds of stats. The *true* pit bull terrier is very loving towards family and most other humans. BYB's and mixes have muddied what a true pitty is in temperment and looks. I personally have yet to see a pure bred Pit bull turn on anyone - friend or foe.

Reactions: rusty
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.