Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All breeds have a reputation for something... Border Collies are known for being excellent at agility, German Shepherd Dogs are known for their police work, Pointers are known for their hunting skills, Labrador Retrievers are known for being "the best family dogs", and Rottweilers, Pit Bulls, and Dobermans are known for being "attack dogs."

The majority of the breeds that are labeled "bad" are far more likely to lick your hand than try to bite it. The majority of them are not owned by people who want to own a "tough dog," but want to share their life with a breed they love.

It is true that Rottweilers, Pit Bulls and Dobermans have bitten people. But what people do not hear about is the other breeds that are biters..... the Chihuahua, Poodle, Maltese, Shih-Tzu, and even the Labrador Retriever. At least 1 dog from every breed has bitten someone, and the majority of the time, it is by HUMAN fault. It is either the fault of the owner, or the individual who was bitten. It is a dog owners responsibility to make sure their pet stays on their property and are always monitored-especially around children. When does it become the dog bite victims fault? When the person who got bit hurt the dog or teased the dog.

The reasons that Pit Bulls, Dobermans and Rottweilers have been singled out so much is because they are more powerful than a Chihuahua or Poodle-they can do more damage with very little effort. Due to this, many cities are banning the ownership of many of these powerful breeds-just because of what they are, and not because of what THEY have done. In these cities, the dogs being banned are not individually tested to see if they are aggressive or likely to bite-they are simply banned due to the breed they are.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
I checked out that site crxman and was not at all surprised by what I saw for the most part... But there were a few exceptions, the one state that bans Am. Staff but not Pits is a hoot, just goes to show that the people making these laws are absolutely clueless. There was another that required the dog to be muzzled and on a lead longer than 4' (I read that one 3x's to make sure I had it right LOL) You'd think if the dog was deemed visicious that you want to limit their freedom. Way to go little town in SD for being the only to ban or even mention our beloved Doberman in the US. I lived through the German ban of Pit Bulls in Germany and as the owner of a Pit, let me tell you it was not at all fun and countless people fought so hard to keep it from happening. What shocked me the most was Italy. 92 breeds on a list? I've found a list but not sure if it's official as it was on another forum so won't post it but Corgi's and Collies were on it and obviously if they were on it so is our Doberman. The Doberman is also in the cat. 2 list in Germany. Dobermans deemed not aggressive for a period of three years may be owned but must be muzzled and on short lead while in public. C'mon Germany, this is YOUR breed! On a side not Germany has passed legislation prohibiting showing any dog cropped or docked, even if they are foriegn dogs which pretty much only allows German dogs to compete in German shows.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Okay, this is another topic near and dear to my heart. That will teach me to go thread trolling as a newbie!!! *LOL* :damn:

Anywho -- I am an avid believer that there are few "bad" dogs. I fully believe as human beings, we have created the situation we are now in with certain states, counties and cities "banning" particular breeds. I was very close to the "Whipple" case in San Francisco, and believe me those dogs were "created," not born.

To send a message, hubby and I both have the DCPA message pasted proudly our our vehicles. For my little Escape, we had bumper stickers created that have Dobe heads facing one another and in the center we have "Ban The Deed, Not The Breed." On my husband's truck, complete with Tommy Lift Gate, we went a tad bit bigger. The lift gate is divided into four sections. So on the two ends, we have full bodied Dobermans (one red, one traditional) facing towards the center of the lift gate. In the two remaining sections -- in BIG WHITE LETTERS against the black lift gate, we have the same message -- "Ban the Deed, Not The Breed."

I have to tell you this has received many different reactions, most of them positive. I believe any little thing we can do to get people thinking about their role in the situation, and how we can change it, is helpful.

Thoughts?

Reactions: sebsyd

·
Registered
33 Posts
cool bumper stickers. IMO, getting the dogs out to pet parks, parks, on the streets to meet people is great for their over all perception by the public. Allowing the public to see what great animals they are is the best prevention to make sure they are not further discriminated against. 2 cents

·
Registered
890 Posts
Thanks for posting the list. was surprised to see a town in SC that had a ban on Dobers. wonder what happens if you're traveling through or vacationing with your pet?

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Pit-Bulls are getting such a bad rap because of all these thugs and gangsta wannabees back yard breeding them and training them for the wrong things if they even train them at all. I think they need to start neutering, muzzling, and walking these people on a leash as they are the real problem.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
cool bumper stickers. IMO, getting the dogs out to pet parks, parks, on the streets to meet people is great for their over all perception by the public. Allowing the public to see what great animals they are is the best prevention to make sure they are not further discriminated against. 2 cents
Absolutely!!! But I have to admit -- after the Whipple case, I don't walk them during "to school" hours. IMHO, people's kids and their upbringing these days is just too unpredictable and California (especially the Bay Area) has gone "dog bite crazy" -- coupled with litigation nuts.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Pit-Bulls are getting such a bad rap because of all these thugs and gangsta wannabees back yard breeding them and training them for the wrong things if they even train them at all. I think they need to start neutering, muzzling, and walking these people on a leash as they are the real problem.
Agreed. I never bought the "Michael Vick I Knew Nothing" story.

·
Registered
14,479 Posts
"Border Collies are known for being excellent at agility"
Maybe so... my neighbor has a real problem Border Collie - dog aggressive and untrustworthy off leash and out of muzzle. The city police have never had to knock on my door investigating dog incidents involving my dobie.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
I was really disappointed when they passed the Pit bull ban in Ontario. Any dog that *looks* like it may have Pit bull in it is restricted. It must be spayed/neutered and muzzled when out in public. If a litter is found it will be destroyed. Over a year ago there was an incident here in Hamilton involving 2 Rotties. The pair had escaped their yard previously and were found at large by the SPCA. They were returned, with the owner promising to reinforce the yard. They didn't do a good enough job and their male and female got out again. They mauled a 5 year old boy. Both have since been destroyed. About 4 months after this incident my neighbors dalmation mix (who appeared to have some terrier features) managed to get out of the yard with their other dog and was picked up by the SPCA. (They weren't able to catch Goldie a shep/husky mix). Due to the ban my neighbor was told that they could not release a *found at large* dog back to its owner. She was told the dog would be PTS. After much searching and lawyer intervention she was able to locate a friend out of province who would take her in and provide a home for her. The SPCA monitors my street and specifically their yard to make sure she doesn't ship Spot home.

I know it's just a matter of time before they start adding other breeds and breed mixes to the list here.

BSL is my biggest pet peeve against BYB. Dogs being bred willy nilly without care as to temperment and stability, not just health and confomation then selling to people who have the cash and are not screened or educated about the breed to ensure that the puppy goes to the best possible home, one that will make sure the dog is a good representative of the breed no matter what the circumstances are.

It's funny (not in a humourous way) that when that poor woman had half her face removed by a dog bite in france(?), no mention of what breed was given until well after the incident. I read later that it was a retreiver, the *great family pet.* I wonder if they'll soon be added to the BSL. When are the law makers and general public going to realize that it is indeed the owner and thier dog and not the breed that needs to be regulated?

Stepping down off my soap box.
Sorry this post was so long and if you read it this far, thanks for reading. <grin>

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
Stepping down off my soap box.
Sorry this post was so long and if you read it this far, thanks for reading. <grin>
Good post, GunnersMum. Anecdotal evidence (story about the Rotties and your neighbor) is the biggest support - it is SO much about responsible dog owners - HUMANS. We are supposed to be the "superior" organism, but then disavow responsibility for our sovereignty over dogs and their behaviors - much of which WE (the universal "we") create.

Interesting description for Europe (BTW, thanks for the link crxman)

"Restrictions against 'guard and protective dogs' : Tosa Inu, American Staffordshire Terrier, Fila Brasileiro, Bull Terrier, Mastiffs (all breeds), German Shepherd, Dobermann and Rottweiler. All dogs with a similar morphology as the above mentioned without pedigree are also restricted (registration and neutering).

That is so open-ended, could cover a LOT of dogs!:confused2

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Unfortunately, horrible owners have paved the way for politicians to come up with useless laws and leaves responsible owners looking like this--> :strong:

Our local Doberman group specifically aims to change the public perception and we constantly thrive to do the best we possibly can with our dogs to prove that it has not much to do with the dog, but all the world to do with the owner.

BSL is BS.​

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Interesting description for Europe (BTW, thanks for the link crxman)

"Restrictions against 'guard and protective dogs' : Tosa Inu, American Staffordshire Terrier, Fila Brasileiro, Bull Terrier, Mastiffs (all breeds), German Shepherd, Dobermann and Rottweiler. All dogs with a similar morphology as the above mentioned without pedigree are also restricted (registration and neutering).

That is so open-ended, could cover a LOT of dogs!:confused2
Agreed. We had a Mini-Doxie growing up who would fall under this umbrella. He'd chase you out of my parents room if you went in there to wake my mother up. Course, my Dad created that by slapping at my Mom when she was holding him and saying, "I'm gonna get your Mommy."

Sheesh. Thank God that portion of "idiot" in my bloodline ended with me! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
295 Posts
I'm curious (being in Ontario where pitbulls are banned)...All these pitbull bite incidents are they biting their own owners/families most of the time or are they biting others in a guarding capacity? Just wondering if this is a family loyal breed or vicious all around.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Unfortunately, horrible owners have paved the way for politicians to come up with useless laws and leaves responsible owners looking like this--> :strong:

Our local Doberman group specifically aims to change the public perception and we constantly thrive to do the best we possibly can with our dogs to prove that it has not much to do with the dog, but all the world to do with the owner.

BSL is BS.​
Nice post! You reference "local Doberman Group." Define local? I'm in the Bay Area and if there is a way I can add to the group, I'd love to!

BTW, I agree with everything you posted. While walking my girls in Columbia State Park one weekend, I had a woman and her two daughters approach me. She asked if the girls could meet my "girls" as she'd grown up with Dobermans, loved the breed, and her daughters had never been able to actually "meet one." She made the girls approach slowly, hold their hands out, allow my DoberKids to sniff their hand and make the next call. My old girl was very friendly, Blaze liked the older daughter but was somewhat standoff-ish towards the younger one, and Ember was still a pup and she simply stuck to me -- at that point she wasn't too social.

We started talking and at the end of our visit, the mother said, "Thank you for letting us meet your girls and thank you for being such a great ambassador for the breed." That made me all warm and fuzzy inside.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I'm curious (being in Ontario where pitbulls are banned)...All these pitbull bite incidents are they biting their own owners/families most of the time or are they biting others in a guarding capacity? Just wondering if this is a family loyal breed or vicious all around.
Pit bulls are a very family loyal breed and in general a very people friendly breed.
I cant stand your "vicious all around" statement, the only reason these dogs are vicious at all is because ignorant people breed and never socialize them and then the owners dont bother to train them. This isnt always the case, any dog can bite, but to label an entire breed as vicious and needing to be banned is just ignorance on the governments part.

You tell me does she look vicious?

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
I don't think it's ever been put together on one page what dog bit friend/family and what dog acted in the capacity of guard or to protect itself from abuse or what dog - while at large triggered the pack prey drive, causing those dogs to attack at random. I would be interested in seeing those kinds of stats. The *true* pit bull terrier is very loving towards family and most other humans. BYB's and mixes have muddied what a true pitty is in temperment and looks. I personally have yet to see a pure bred Pit bull turn on anyone - friend or foe.

Reactions: rusty

·
Registered
295 Posts
Pit bulls are a very family loyal breed and in general a very people friendly breed.
I cant stand your "vicious all around" statement, the only reason these dogs are vicious at all is because ignorant people breed and never socialize them and then the owners dont bother to train them. This isnt always the case, any dog can bite, but to label an entire breed as vicious and needing to be banned is just ignorance on the governments part.

You tell me does she look vicious?

Sorry didn't mean to offend :( Is that your dog? She's a cutey. I'm asking because I 'am' ingnorant on the breed and only hear what the media says. When I research the breed myself it makes me want one as they sound like awesome family dogs, that's why I was wondering if all the reported attacks were on family or foe or accident. I never wanted a doberman for similar 'media scare' reasons but now with my big sucky sweetheart I am a convert for sure!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts