Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone of you ever had dobermans and malinois so can tell me which breed is more energetic? I have experience with dobermans not with malinois.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Oliver's favorite girlfriend is a malinois, she is very energetic. In fact he usually fades before her, in fact I've never seen her fade. She is 3 and he is 1. She is very focused and she is in charge. He is very submissive to her.

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
I have Bacchus and my son has Cella the malinois. She is much more agile than he is and never stops moving. Sweet dog and is teaching herself agility. I bought my son agility equipment when I moved to Delaware and Cella now entertains herself with the teeter/dw/a-frame. I have never seen her tire. She is always looking for a job. She is semi-submissive to Bacchus. Very easily trained like Bacchus. Very very athletic. HTH

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
I have not had much experience with mals, but a couple of years ago I did take care of a friend's retired mal drug dog. He was a high energy dog; very sweet, but super energy. None of my Dobermanns were ever like that.

After that experience I have often thought that if I were a patrol officer riding with a mal on a 10 hour shift I would probably, at the end of shift, put myself out of my misery. It is one thing for a K9 to get excited when the action starts, quite another to constantly pace in the back of the car.:emo11:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How can a dog be more energetic than a doberman? Never take a rest or is going to try to carry my attention all the time? Also, are they easy to train or because they are very energetic they probably suffer from ADD?:p

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
How can a dog be more energetic than a doberman? Never take a rest or is going to try to carry my attention all the time? Also, are they easy to train or because they are very energetic they probably suffer from ADD?:p
Higher drive & higher energy dogs I find to be easier to train, because they are more willing to work for a reward then a lower drive, mellower dog.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Anyone of you ever had dobermans and malinois so can tell me which breed is more energetic? I have experience with dobermans not with malinois.
I agree with Kara that it depends on the dog. I have owned both and my dobie was and still is definately more energetic than the mali. My dobie is more driven than my mali, or most mali I have seen. In fact mali people call my dog the energizer bunny.

However, my dog is pretty unique.

For the most part, and generally, a mali would beat a dobie in the energy department. Not just energy but need-to-train drive. You can run them all day but if they do not get an intellectual/training outlet they can be very hard to live with. I wouldn't recommend a mali for a newbie handler unless they were going to really get into training.

There are certain lines that do well as house pets and other lines that would be a train wreck as a pet.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I agree with Kara that it depends on the dog. I have owned both and my dobie was and still is definately more energetic than the mali. My dobie is more driven than my mali, or most mali I have seen. In fact mali people call my dog the energizer bunny.

However, my dog is pretty unique.

For the most part, and generally, a mali would beat a dobie in the energy department. Not just energy but need-to-train drive. You can run them all day but if they do not get an intellectual/training outlet they can be very hard to live with. I wouldn't recommend a mali for a newbie handler unless they were going to really get into training.

There are certain lines that do well as house pets and other lines that would be a train wreck as a pet.
Yes, malinois are very energetic but if they learn how to behave in the house they will be like every other dog pet, yes? And ofc we will do some training

·
MOATS
1,922 Posts
Yes, malinois are very energetic but if they learn how to behave in the house they will be like every other dog pet, yes? And ofc we will do some training
As you appear to think you already know all the answers why are wasting people's time by asking the question?

·
Registered
742 Posts
it dependes on what lines you get. Most french, belgian and knvp lined malis are not really great pets until older. Very few have on/off switches. These dogs have been bred for generations to do continual work, as in hours a day everyday, 7 days a week. If you feel you can keep up with "some" training have atter... but get a good french line mal, will ya? So when it drives you crazy I will take it.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
My Dobe has more nervous/anxious energy... If that makes sense. My Malinois is much, much more intense. My Dobe can go a few days without training and be fine, but my Mal will drive me crazy if he misses too much training. My Dobe's drive will peter out over time, especially when she gets tired. WHen working, my Mal will get hot and tired but won't quit or lose drive because of it. Of course, it really does vary by individuals, but in general I would say the Malinois are higher energy, as others have stated. It's funny, however, because my Malinois will actually settle in the house better than my Dobe, but only if he gets regular exercise.

Edit: Here "exercise" is more than a walk around the block. For my Malinois, it's intense cardio aerobic and anaerobic activity... activity that really gets (and keeps) the heart rate up.. French Ring training, sprints, jumping, jogging that lasts at least a few miles, etc. Typically he gets this about 5-6 days a week, and I build in at least one day for rest/recovery.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Malinois

My Malinois is much more intense and much more serious than any other dog that I've owned. I found him to be much more difficult to manage because of his serious personality and his intensity. He's more reactive than my Dobe. The "teenager" period was particularly rough. My training buddies have Malinois and Dutch Shepherds, and not all of them are as serious and intense as my Malinois. So again, it does vary by individual dogs.

He was easy to "train" as far as learn new things, yet much more difficult to "manage" than my Dobe. If that makes sense? And simply teaching him to settle in the house does not make him "like any other dog." There is a lot more to it than teaching them house manners and basic obedience. Kind of hard to explain. The more I try to explain what it's like the more difficult it is to explain. :)

OH, and in regard to the ADD comment...Almost forgot to say that the intensity and drive actually makes him more focused, as long as I can correctly manage and channel that drive. Again, please remember I'm just talking about ONE Malinois here. My friends have Malinois that all vary in different ways. I'm sure that people can say they have a Dobe that sounds like my Malinois and a Malinois that sounds more like my Dobe. :)

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
1 - 20 of 48 Posts