Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody. I was hoping I could get some advice for Doberman health and socialization. My fiancé and I are getting married in about a year or so, and will most likely be moving into an apartment. If possible, I would love to bring my baby, but I want to put her health and wellness first. She's a very sweet, friendly girl (about to turn 4 years old), but is a bit nervous around new things and unfamiliar dogs. She has never been aggressive, but we don't want to put her under a lot of stress. Any advice for moving/socializing a Doberman who is a bit nervous? And is having her in an apartment just a horrible idea? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
15,370 Posts
Welcome to DT. Dobermans are just not really an apartment breed, IMO, but it can work if you devote the time and energy into meeting all her daily needs. Is there any reason you can't move to a house, with a little more room, and preferably a fenced yard for your girl? You say you *hope* to bring her with you on the move; I really hope that doesn't mean you'd re-home her because you're moving! A dog is a life long commitment and should be a big factor into your housing situation.

·
Registered
333 Posts
If you do move into an apartment, make sure you do your research! Most have restrictions on either weight or breed of your dog, and unfortunately you're likely to find dobermans on the breed restriction list. I haven't lived in an apartment with my dobie, but having had him from 8 weeks to now 8months, I couldn't imagine having him in an apartment due to his size and the amount of running around he does in our yard.

Would you and your fiancé be up to renting a house instead of an apartment? You might be more successful in finding a doberman friendly lessor of a house than apartment. And, your doberman will have a lot more room! Also, you say your girl is nervous around new things. It may be less stressful for her to be in a new house as opposed to an apartment where there are always people moving around, going up and down stairs, dogs barking, babies crying, etc. that she'd be able to hear and smell. :)

·
Premium Member
7,056 Posts
Regarding the socialization.
My Hoss is a 2.5 years old..........I just keep enrolling him in organized training classes .........some advanced .....then repeat some basic classes.
This month I signed Hoss up for a beginners class sponsored by the City for 60 bucks for 8 weeks.
Hoss is not a beginner ....but for Hoss a beginners class exposes him to a different trainer, more puppies, different adults and more children......all of this in a controlled enviroment.
Home Depo and Lowes are great places to practice sit,down, stay, and leash walking.....also available is lots of noises, clanging, beeping, etc.......although lots of people want to pet your dog....which can be unpredictable (not from our dogs but from the unknown people) ....I just tell them maybe later...he's working now......and they move along......good luck.

·
well trained hooman
765 Posts
Regarding the socialization.
My Hoss is a 2.5 years old..........I just keep enrolling him in organized training classes .........some advanced .....then repeat some basic classes.
This month I signed Hoss up for a beginners class sponsored by the City for 60 bucks for 8 weeks.
Hoss is not a beginner ....but for Hoss a beginners class exposes him to a different trainer, more puppies, different adults and more children......all of this in a controlled enviroment.
Home Depo and Lowes are great places to practice sit,down, stay, and leash walking.....also available is lots of noises, clanging, beeping, etc.......although lots of people want to pet your dog....which can be unpredictable (not from our dogs but from the unknown people) ....I just tell them maybe later...he's working now......and they move along......good luck.
Home Depot (at least here in MN) has always been one of my favorite places to bring Radar. Lots of people want to pet him, of course, but I have yet to run into anyone (including kids, surprisingly) that hasn't asked first. I have to judge their excitement level and his, before giving the go-ahead to pet him. He gets a little wild with his nose/tongue on the little ones if he is too excited, but teaching him to sit or lay down when kids want to pet him has been an absolute life-saver. He's become so used to going there that he actually gets a little bored sometimes, especially when we are in one aisle looking at something for what he deems as "too long" - here's a photo from yesterday - he has absolutely no interest in finishing sanders :grin2: - or the people further down the aisle that seemed as though they were uncomfortable around dogs, and were keeping their distance.

20180715_183511 by Ashley Langer, on Flickr

Things like this would definitely help you socialize your pup - although I agree that trying to find a way to rent a house (or even an apartment in a duplex type setting) would probably be easier. Many landlords cannot allow certain breeds due to their insurance on the property. You could also look into getting your own renter's insurance that would cover having a doberman - although it will likely be fairly expensive.

Reactions: LadyDi

·
Premium Member
8,351 Posts
My first doberman was a girl and we lived in a two bedroom condo. It was doable. We went on walks, did mental practice sessions, and found places that she could run off leash (school yards, baseball fields etc) along with classes. It can be done

·
Registered
3 Posts
Doable

I live in an apartment and my girl is 5 years old - she's been in apartment living ever since I got her as a puppy. The main issue I've had to work on is getting her to not bark at every little thing she hears in the breezeway, and also not to bark at my neighbors when we are near the home (she gets territorial when we are near our home and will bark, but if we walk by someone on the street while on a walk she wouldn't bark at the person; so that's how I figure it's a territorial thing). However, with training, socialization, exercise, and desensitization ANYTHING is possible. In my complex I have a large field that I let her off leash at; we take long walks; go on bike rides (weather permitting); doggy daycare; etc. Inside the apartment, I play hide and seek with treats, the kids, and even myself. As far as breed restriction lists - that very well may be a problem you encounter - however, my girl is registered as my Emotional Support Animal so I get a pass (and the apartment complex I'm in now actually didn't have Dobies on the restricted list).

Best of luck to you and yours!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts