Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi every one,
I have Dillinger (1yr 4 moths), he is very loving and playful dog. I socialized him as soon as 8 weeks. He goes to dog park 2 times a week. He gets along well with all the dogs... He seem doesn't like Husky and pitbull so much. So when every they came he just walk away.
But lately we realized he have a THING with Boxer. When every boxer come around his back hair stick up (we know it a bad sign when D do that).
THe a lady have a crazy white boxer. When every the boxer saw my dog he ran to and try to intimate D. Dillinger absolutely HATED that boxer. Once i have D on the neck bc I never see D on his bad size before. THe boxer bite my dog. So I told the owner to come get her dog. She doesn't care. Today, me and my wife enjoying friday afternoon at the dog park until the white boxer show up. So D walk away as usual however the boxer wouldn't left my alone. The worst thing is the owner doesn't give a dawn. We put D on the lease and walk away. the boxer keep run after my dog. End up my got crazy and the boxer also, they look like they about to kill each other.
We end up have to leave the park bc my wife doesn't want any trouble.
IS it true Dobie doesn't like boxer??? What would i do next time it it happen again , bc it really ruin my dog park experiences???
Please advise, thank you so much.

·
Banned
7,471 Posts
Please dont set him up to fail by forcing him in situations where he or another dog could get seriously injured. There are other ways to safely socialize your dog. Why keep risking it by bringing him to the dog park? He should not be at a dog park with the way he is reacting to other dogs.

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
First, I would stop the dog park. It's a disaster waiting to happen and your dog has already been bitten. Find a few dogs he likes and make play dates with them, some other place besides the dog park.

You don't like every person you encounter. Dogs can be the same way.

·
Living la Vida Loca!
2,580 Posts
For some reason Coco does not like boxers at all. Nothing has ever happened with her and a boxer. She regularly goes to the dog park. She chooses to avoid contact with boxers although, of course, they always approach her. She does not initiate play or any contact with them. Coco does not seem to like their "energy" so I would never encourage her to play with them. When there are a lot of other boxers at the park playing we walk the trails in the woods. :butfly:

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
Great advice here, I also suggest finding a different way to socialize him. Perhaps friends with dogs that he likes could come over for a playdate.

·
Registered
990 Posts
1. Don't go to the dog park. If you have a dog park in your area, chances are there are plenty of on leash parks where you can walk your dog...do that instead...for your dog.
2. Get him neutered if he isn't already.

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
Male Doberman's have aggression problems when they are sexually mature they usually do not get along with other male dogs of any breed. My male Doberman is 4 years old has never been to a dog park is not ever going to one either. it is not worth your dog getting hurt or the other dog getting hurt or people getting hurt trying to separate fighting dogs. Plus now days some people want to sue at the drop of a hat + we also want to try to keep Doberman' s in a good light not a bad one.Leerburg.com has some interesting comments about dog parks they have allot of free information.

·
Why is the rum gone?
2,263 Posts
Keep your Dobe away from the boxer. Even the nicest dogs can have a problem with a dog who wants to dominate them, get in their face, basically be rude. If you keep your Dobe playing with this boxer, it'll go into a fight sooner or later.

Dobermans, especially the boys, are not always good dog park candidates. If you want to keep going, you'll have to avoid staying there when the boxer is there. If the other owner is allowing her dog to be 'crazy' as you put it, there's not much you can do to stop it. All you can do is keep your Doberman out of there to avoid a fight.

I stopped going to our local dog park because of the high number of aggressive dogs there. It's not worth the risk of a fight, the vet bills, and everything else that can go wrong, including training set backs.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I don't understand the obsession with dog parks? When you get a dog, you should play with him, train him.. Or do you buy your dog just so he can be company and a playmate for other dogs?

My dog LOVES other dogs, and I consider it a PROBLEM. I got her quite old and she wasn't trained in any way so she knew: owners=boring, dogs=fun. It is a hard habit to break but we are progressing.

Oh and have I mentioned she isn't allowed to play with other dogs anymore? Because she loves them too much? Well sometimes she is used to socialize puppies at our club, or reactive dogs. But other than that, I am her playing buddy and no one else.

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
I don't understand the obsession with dog parks? When you get a dog, you should play with him, train him.. Or do you buy your dog just so he can be company and a playmate for other dogs?

My dog LOVES other dogs, and I consider it a PROBLEM. I got her quite old and she wasn't trained in any way so she knew: owners=boring, dogs=fun. It is a hard habit to break but we are progressing.

Oh and have I mentioned she isn't allowed to play with other dogs anymore? Because she loves them too much? Well sometimes she is used to socialize puppies at our club, or reactive dogs. But other than that, I am her playing buddy and no one else.
I think that everybody is different in the way that they think. I love dog parks and so does my dog. That being said, I play with my dog one-on-one A TON. There are some people that use dog parks as the only outlet their dogs get for play but I don't think that the majority people here on DT (myself included) take their dogs to parks because they don't want to play with their dogs. I use it as just one more place for my dog to go and experience.

·
Premium Member
9,664 Posts

I like to spend time alone with my dog hiking, training, playing but I also enjoy meeting up with other dogs for play-dates and socializing. Monty grew up playing with our recently passed Petey, he misses being with other dogs. I try and make sure he plays with others a couple of times a week. If we get to the point where he doesn't like other males then we will stop meeting up with male dogs.

OP...I'd suggest staying out of the dog park, by the sounds of things your boy is going to be male aggressive if at such a young age he already doesn't like Pitbulls, Huskey's and now the Boxer. Maybe find a friend or two with female dogs and meet up for play-dates.

·
Premium Member
9,976 Posts
Dogs will sometimes take a dislike to a specific breed and if it looks like (whatever breed) they are not going to like it. Your Dobe has had unfortunate encounters with the Boxer at the park. The Boxer has bad dog manners and has already tried to start something with you dog who is really still a puppy--that's why he doesn't like this Boxer and why he'll probably not really care for other Boxers. The fact that the Boxers owner is pretty brain dead about her dog and how he acts isn't helping

I don't do dog parks because of the owners mostly. All it takes is a bad experience with another dog at a park for a dog who formerly got along with most of the dogs there to change his mind and become quite agressive about protecting himself.

Time to delete dog parks from your dogs agenda. You can't cure stupidity when it comes to how owners handler their dogs around your dog. So all you can realistically do is leave with your dog when the Boxer shows up.

But I'd find some dogs that get along well with my dog if you think they must play with other dogs and meet in someones yard to let them play.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
IS it true Dobie doesn't like boxer??? What would i do next time it it happen again , bc it really ruin my dog park experiences???
Please advise, thank you so much.
Not being sarcastic, BUT, I think you already know the answer to whether your Dobe likes the Boxer or not.

While you wrote that it will ruin your dog park experience, I think it will ruin your dog if you continue to bring him to this dog park.

Please don't let it happen again....just don't go there. You are asking for trouble and you are also responsible for whatever trouble occurs since you already know that your dog and the Boxer will fight. Remember, you are the owner and should be protecting your dog from situations like this, by avoiding them.

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
:exercise2: I saw something the other day that I'm going to try.The tennis courts are all closed off and a guy had his dog and another playing there. Alot of room to run but no trouble. I don't do dog parks, to much came happen because of bad owners.
Yes, I've utilized tennis courts before, they're great! Another option is some schools have large grassy areas that are generally fenced in.

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
To those of you that plan on trying tennis courts. Keep a very close eye on your dogs pads. They tear with little effort on that surface. Also, many dogs slip quite easily, increasing the possibility for injury. Once we took Nina when she was younger, and after about 15 minutes of play her pads were torn to pieces and took weeks to recover.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Some of the nice baseball fields at the parks in my area have gates in the dugouts and I just close them off and any others. Some parks wont let you but it is a good amount of space and if no ones there whose going to kick you out anyway.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
:hmmm: Hi every,
Thank you for all the good advises. The thing is dog park like our routine, on my day off I take D and Bungbeo (the chihuahua) to the park. They love it and cant wait for it. They enjoy the dog park, specially D. He loves to hang out with other dog or run along with them. To cut dog park out of their agenda kinda hard on them. I do hang out with them when i have time. We walk them around the neighborhood couple time a week also. D seem to get along with all the dog accept the boxer. I take them to the park bc they love to, and i think they need to socialize as we do.They start it since 2months old. I dont know how they going to react if we stop going. To be honest, I dont really want to stop the dog part routine just bc some owner can handle their dog... Im so confuse....

·
Registered
44 Posts
Can you go at a time when the boxer isn't there? If it's just the one dog D doesn't get on with and he loves it otherwise I wouldn't be keen to stop going either, but I would try and go at a different time to him.

I would also find out if there's anyone you could report the woman to as her dog is clearly out of control, and I'm willing to bet you're not the only one who's had trouble with her.

Reactions: dillinger2010

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hi,
Yet I talk to couple owners, they said her dog got in a fight with many dogs at the park....They said her and they dog is both unfriendly...lol I dont know what time is she not there

1 - 20 of 29 Posts