Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,551 Posts
I'm going to walk back a bit on my previous statement on re-read.

What I recommend is that you start the "2 week shutdown" for him. Follow it really faithfully. A lot of very reputable rescues follow it, and it is REALLY helpful for dogs transitioning to new homes. I highly, highly recommend it.

https://www.arottalove.org/info/file?file=14673.pdf

After that, you slowly ease into a more normal (but structured) life. I think you'll start to get a more accurate sense of his temperament at that point, but even then, remember that dogs take a while to truly show who they are when they are rehomed.

Beyond that, I echo what brw1982 said...I don't think she will stand behind this dog. We've heard multiple stories of people attempting to pursue legal action. I've not yet heard of success. I think you'll have to decide if the stress of it is worth it and what your desired outcome is.

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
What they said is correct. When I take in a foster they spend 100% of their time at home. Getting to know me, my dogs, my schedule,.... After two weeks I start gently showing them the rules of the house and taking them places with me. I might take them for a short walk down my street but you have to make sure they don't get over stimulated or overly nervous.

I did talk to someone who was showing at the same time this dog was. She said two dogs were showing around the same time. They were around the same age and couldn't be kept anywhere near each other. Just like you can read about with littermate syndrome. She said the other dog's temperament seemed ok and yours she said, "not so much".

·
Registered
10 Posts
I hate to hear this about Powerhouse. We have a son of Powerhouse, born in 2019. I would check frequently to see if she had new photos of him. I noticed her Facebook and website was taken down, and I started searching and found this thread. I hope he is okay and things are better. He is a beautiful dog. I hate you have been through all of this.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I cannot put into words the experience I had with Doberland.com. I purchased a male who bit me at least 7 times and 2 of then were in the faces. The last time I was completely attacked by the 16 months old male.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well this is not what I was hoping to find when searching to find Margo but I am not surprised.I purchased a July 10th male puppy of Powerhouses from Margo in October. I purchased the male I got after speaking with her extensively about getting a dog for a service dog program for disabled veterans. He was skittish and scared. She was no where to be found when contacted. He is now male dog Reactive/aggressive and being kicked out of the program after 500 plus hours of training because he is Male dog reactive . So now its not just rehoming a dog thats not trustworthy with other male dogs , its a dog that comes from an aggressive line. I hope whoever is suing her destroys her and if you need help with your case feel free to contact me. Also. Is there a way to rehome a dog like this with knowing its genetic predisposition?

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
27,433 Posts
It is plain that Margo is selling dogs which can be unstable with unsound temperaments.

But I would like to mention in the context of the last post, that Dobermans as a breed are known to have a tendency to same sex aggression. That kind of reactivity can certainly make a dog very difficult to work with and not a good candidate for service work, but it can be an innate behavior that does not necessarily indicate the dog has an unsound temperament per se.

Has your dog shown evidence of aggression toward people that is not related to the presence of other male dogs? If you would like to discuss his aggression further, with an eye to what your options are for his future, you might want to start another thread about his behavior.

·
Premium Member
8,880 Posts
It is plain that Margo is selling dogs which can be unstable with unsound temperaments.

But I would like to mention in the context of the last post, that Dobermans as a breed are known to have a tendency to same sex aggression. That kind of reactivity can certainly make a dog very difficult to work with and not a good candidate for service work, but it can be an innate behavior that does not necessarily indicate the dog has an unsound temperament per se.

Has your dog shown evidence of aggression toward people that is not related to the presence of other male dogs? If you would like to discuss his aggression further, with an eye to what your options are for his future, you might want to start another thread about his behavior.
^^^^^ So much this! I'm not defending the breeder at all, but same sex aggression is well known in Dobermans. I have a 12 1/2 year old Grand Champion, he was neutered at age 7. He will not tolerate another male dog. He can stand ringside (and did) with other intact males as long as there is no eye contact ..... Doberman handlers are very good at doing this. He has very typical male Doberman temperament.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hello!
I have some experience with "aggressive dogs". I had a female adult Doberman when I was young who snapped and bite by fear, never badly enough to send somebody to a hospital, but still unacceptable, thing with that dog was that she suffered bad experiences with humans. We managed to socialize her through group training, constency and a looooooooot of patience. It turned out pretty well, she accepted human contact (she was not happy about it but accepted it) and I even signed her to obedience competitions with not very good results but any incident whatsoever. I also was close to other cases of "aggressive" dogs, which by careful and experienced training turned out quite fine but its is a long road and compromise to try to improve a dogs temperament.

The first thing you should do is to find an experienced trainer and find out the root of the problem, from that point you can decide what you are gingo to do with your dog, hopefully to try and make him better within your family

Reactions: LadyDi and melbrod

·
Registered
72 Posts
Ok now that I've read all posts, I see it maybe is an hereditary temperament trait, much more difficult to deal with, hope everything turned out fine

Reactions: LadyDi and melbrod

·
Registered
1 Posts
Doberland/Powerhouse

I purchased a male pup from Margo in Jan 2019, he will soon turn 2 this fall. Met her at tractors supply cold windy night, I made her bring Powerhouse and dam, so I spent 20 minutes with Powerhouse. My male Rocko has been the best dog we have ever had, he is a total beast weighs about 110-115 and is a specimen. I have stayed in touch with Margo for several moths after purchase and had no problems. Rocko is a big strong brave dog, he has all the characteristics of the breed 100%, from the time he was 3 mos to 6 months I really realized how much training and socialization this breed needs and we worked with him every day. I saw that Powerhouse was for sale and wondered why, I have has 2-3 friends asking me where I got Rocko so I kept a eye on her website. While I am not a professional Doberman trainer I can sure tell you the Euro breed has to be trained and worked with daily, owning a Doberman is not for the weak, they need a strong social structure. I hope it all works out with Powerhouse I wanted to post to just say how great of dog one of his pups has turned out. Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
We got a puppy from Margo Richards from what was Doberland at the time (June 2016). It was located outside of Clinton, MO and they were selling the puppies out of their home (which they had a “for sale” sign up - looks like they move often). We were told they were raised in the home - and when we got him home, he was scared to death of everything - doorways, stairs, etc. - it was clear he had never been inside a house and we had a lot of work to do to get him comfortable even being in a home. She had also told us his Dad was award winning in obedience and protection - and when we arrived there, he was completely out of control - barking, jumping, a complete maniac, certainly not the disposition of a well-trained Dobie. We had had Duke about 1.5 years when he went into congestive heart failure. He was first diagnosed with DCM, but after seeking another opinion, it was discovered that he had a very large PDA in his heart that required immediate surgery to close. The vet was shocked that it wasn’t caught when he was a puppy, which makes us feel like he did not have proper vet care. After spending almost $10,000 - Duke’s heart was repaired and he is doing fine now, thank god. After this happened, we did more research on her and found lots of negative information about her and her previous breeding operations. We also thought it was super odd she had us sign a social media waiver when we got Duke - essentially agreeing we wouldn’t post anything negative online, what respectable operation does that? We never contacted her after Duke got sick because we knew we wouldn’t get a response or her only recourse would be to return Duke, which was totally absurd. We also discovered shortly after Duke got sick, she no longer had his “award winning” parents. Weird. We are finally posting about this because we were scared of being sued by her, but we aren’t scared now as we continue to see people having issues with her — she shouldn’t be allowed to be in operation.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,044 Posts
If she makes the claim that he's "award winning" she should be able to back that up with titles. I know that doesn't help you NOW but it may be useful information in the future...and for anyone else reading this post wondering about her.

Reactions: melbrod

·
Registered
3 Posts
I purchased Int. Doberland Powerhouse aka Balor. Let me start by saying he’s a good looking male dog and she advertised him well on her website . I talked for a few weeks back and forth via text messages and phone conversations with Margo Richards from Doberland. She advertised he was Dna cleared of Dcm and ofa certified good, also stated he’s housebroken and loves tides in car etc. and I asked about his boys she said anything that she would look and take care of anything he needed before pick up . After all our conversations I drove 9 hrs one way to purchase him . She did not let us come to her house she meet us at a tractor supply store in Balvior, Mo which I thought was a little odd but with covid 19 going around I understood. It was very windy and cool day . She had just given Balor a bath and he was still wet standing in the cold so everything was kinda rush rush. She said she was getting out of breeding due to her health. Margo showed me some paperwork but the wind was blowing all around . I signed and contract that we would give him a good home and gave a health guarantee that did he had 2 yrs remaining . He was a little nervous but understandable because he was wet and cool outside. We got in our vehicle and proceeded to go home . After about 10 minutes out we stopped at a gas station And we looked over his paperwork more carefully he is dcm1 positive and his rabid shot record was 2 yrs past due! Booster shots 1 yr past due! No heartworm test either! To throw insult to injury she only had his hips premlinary threw ofa when he was 14 months old. Never retested him at the age of 2 . We had many text messages and phone conversations this was all suppose to be taken care of and he was suppose to be dna cleared of Dcm . I tried calling Margo several times immediately after going threw all the paperwork she would not answer . We waited and tried again nothing . We had to get back home . No shots, nothing on him . Ugh!!! Finally several messages later after we got home she finally called me and got snappy I told her this wasn’t our agreement and she advertised him on her website as well as clear and ofa good. The worse is yet to come stay with me . I expressed his anxiety his has had . He is scared of everything how can this beautiful handsome boy that has been shown be so scared of everything? We gave him space , time , love took him to the vet got him updated on shots as a responsible owner. How did this dog fall threw the cracks??? WTH? It gets worse he has lunged at me twice . Yet follows me everywhere we have experience and are very responsible. Today my 18 yr old was standing by my kitchen counter and he bit him on the leg !!! I’ve have reached out several times to Margo so did my sister she don’t believe it she says ! Will not refund our money says I signed a as is contract blah blah blah and blocked me !
I own his daughter. She is absolutely beautiful just like him and she has a wonderful temperament. I have wanted to get into contact with Margo but she changed her number. I'm sorry to hear he is not used to your family so easily. Dobermans, as you know, are very loyal to the very few they confide in, and unfortunately are intelligent enough to distinguish who is new in their life. Powerhouse is an absolutely stunning doberman. I

·
Registered
3 Posts
We got a puppy from Margo Richards from what was Doberland at the time (June 2016). It was located outside of Clinton, MO and they were selling the puppies out of their home (which they had a “for sale” sign up - looks like they move often). We were told they were raised in the home - and when we got him home, he was scared to death of everything - doorways, stairs, etc. - it was clear he had never been inside a house and we had a lot of work to do to get him comfortable even being in a home. She had also told us his Dad was award winning in obedience and protection - and when we arrived there, he was completely out of control - barking, jumping, a complete maniac, certainly not the disposition of a well-trained Dobie. We had had Duke about 1.5 years when he went into congestive heart failure. He was first diagnosed with DCM, but after seeking another opinion, it was discovered that he had a very large PDA in his heart that required immediate surgery to close. The vet was shocked that it wasn’t caught when he was a puppy, which makes us feel like he did not have proper vet care. After spending almost $10,000 - Duke’s heart was repaired and he is doing fine now, thank god. After this happened, we did more research on her and found lots of negative information about her and her previous breeding operations. We also thought it was super odd she had us sign a social media waiver when we got Duke - essentially agreeing we wouldn’t post anything negative online, what respectable operation does that? We never contacted her after Duke got sick because we knew we wouldn’t get a response or her only recourse would be to return Duke, which was totally absurd. We also discovered shortly after Duke got sick, she no longer had his “award winning” parents. Weird. We are finally posting about this because we were scared of being sued by her, but we aren’t scared now as we continue to see people having issues with her — she shouldn’t be allowed to be in operation.
Wow this is incredibly sad to hear. I too own a doberman from Margo. She is 19 months and so far healthy thank God. I am sorry to hear that. Margo is off of the map now. Apparently she isnt as reliable as she sounded on the phone. Im just praying that my baby stays healthy and I am glad yours has pulled through.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It wouldn't be the first time. Back in 2014, another crummy breeder all of a sudden wound up with about half a dozen Guardian Angel bitches on their website, and the Guardian Angels/Guardian K9 website disappeared. A couple of years later, she was applying for an AKC registered kennel name using Doberland.
Please let me know if you find her next kennel name. I am very dissapointed. I have one of the Doberland puppies and she is great but I have some words for Margo as a dog lover who doesnt appreciate fake love for animals.

·
Registered
10 Posts
This makes me so sad. I hope he’s doing much better. And i agree 💯 that she should never breed any type of animal again 😢😢

·
Registered
10 Posts
Please let me know if you find her next kennel name. I am very dissapointed. I have one of the Doberland puppies and she is great but I have some words for Margo as a dog lover who doesnt appreciate fake love for animals.
Yes!!! Please let us all know.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello. I am so glad that I found these posts about this kennel. I live in Michigan and have have rescued 5 Dobermans over the past 15 years and a former member and volunteer of Doberman Rescue groups I take other people's failures and transform these beautiful misunderstood dogs into well behaved companions. Yesterday, I was contacted by a friend who has a friend that ended up with a female from this kennel. The dog is 1 1/2 years old and was purchased from Margo's kennel by a man (for allegedly about $3,500) who found out he could not handle a Doberman and sold the dog to a woman in Michigan (for $900). So sad that she is 1 1/2 years old and is in her second home, soon to be third. The dog has lived with a family with 4 children for the past year (previously owned Dobermans). Neighbor child went into house and approached dog that was on the couch and tried to hug the dog and got nipped. Now, the woman wants to rehome the dog. The dog has shown no aggression toward the family. I encouraged the woman to contact Margo but after reading this thread, I doubt she will do anything to help the situation. I am working on finding this beautiful girl a home. According to the owner, she has been through obedience classes and for the most part is well behaved. Although I have for many years housed two Dobermans at a time, we currently have a 2 year old male (adopted at age 5 mos.) and my boyfriend poo pooed getting another at this time. I feel bad for those that get caught up in the game with someone that allegedly does not have any desire to make sure her dogs end up in lifetime homes.

Thank you to everyone that puts the word out.....whether it is good or bad.....it is better to know the truth.

I'm going to walk back a bit on my previous statement on re-read.

What I recommend is that you start the "2 week shutdown" for him. Follow it really faithfully. A lot of very reputable rescues follow it, and it is REALLY helpful for dogs transitioning to new homes. I highly, highly recommend it.

https://www.arottalove.org/info/file?file=14673.pdf

After that, you slowly ease into a more normal (but structured) life. I think you'll start to get a more accurate sense of his temperament at that point, but even then, remember that dogs take a while to truly show who they are when they are rehomed.

Beyond that, I echo what brw1982 said...I don't think she will stand behind this dog. We've heard multiple stories of people attempting to pursue legal action. I've not yet heard of success. I think you'll have to decide if the stress of it is worth it and what your desired outcome is.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts