Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dear DT lovelies...

Holy flippin' moley. I had read about infamous dobergas.. but oh I was not prepared. I seriously think little miss could clear a village. Its horrible! I keep telling her that its not very becoming on a young lady. :roflmao:

We're currently feeding Acana, down from Orijen which gave us extraordinary lava poo. Really, it was impressive. Right now her poo is solid, and regular... but the gas! Anyone have a 'cure'??

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
I feed raw. NO stinky gas. Otherwise, try the enzymes suggested here, or consider a food change.

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
contact Melbrod.........she has been working on a DoberGas project for years! :)

I used to work with her on it, but found i could no longer take in any more gas than what my own dogs produce, but Melbrod seems to be able to handle all she can whiff.

hahahaah

·
Super Moderator
21,981 Posts
I guess my feeling is that if you are consistently having bad gas issues, your food probably isn't working for your dogs. Mine occasionally have gas (usually when someone has given them a lower quality treat, like at the bank), but it's not an ongoing, daily issue that calls for a gas mask, you know? Regular, frequent, stinky gas would be a sign to me that you should try a different food. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
I find Toby's gas is usually indicative of him eating something out on a walk rather than his regular food. Chicken and Pig poop is tasty yummy stuff and whilst smelly on its own without going through a Dobes intestines once it has been through it is nuclear meltdown stinky. :D

·
Banned
7,405 Posts
It definitely comes down to what food agrees with them. I sleep nose to butt (not my choice but hers :rolleyesww:) so I know when it is not working...

·
Registered
705 Posts
LOL Chevy has some stinky ones too every now and then!

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
It took about a month to make a difference but I give my three about 1/4 cup of Greek yogurt in their evening meal. They seldom have gas now. When I can't get to Costco for the Greek yogurt I just use non fat unsweetened yogurt.

Worked great for my guys.

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Mabel isn't too gassy anymore but for my last dog (garbage gut lab) we added a few tablespoons of buttermilk to her food and it took care of the problem, and if we ran out, we payed for it that very first meal without it!

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
Well Callie's food is top notch...as I checked the ingredients (below):
My first dog could clear a room, but I didn't know better then and buying kibble with corn in it...I later thaough that was the cause of gas production.

Amy farts maybe once every few months...she is on Holistic-Blend lamb & rice + 2 home cooked meals (meat/veggies/rice)...she does very well on it.
She poofs so infrequently, that her Dad can't blame the dobe anymore...which is rare, for me to...LOL..something I needed to come clean on.

Funny how dogs let one rip, and then they look at their rear end / butts...thinking, where the heck did that noise come from !!

ACANA Adult Large Breed Dog Food -- Ingredients
Chicken meal, steamed oats, fresh free-run chicken, peas, brown rice, fresh deboned
salmon, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and rosemary), chicken liver,
fresh whole eggs, sun-cured alfalfa, salmon oil, pumpkin, chicken cartilage (natural
source of glucosamine and chondroitin), red delicious apples, carrots, turnip greens,
cranberries, Saskatoon berries, organic sea vegetables (kelp, bladderwrack, dulse),
burdock root, marshmallow root, juniper berries, fenugreek, sweet fennel, angelica
root, sea buckthorn, chicory root, stinging nettle, red raspberry leaf, milk thistle,
peppermint leaf, marigold flowers, chamomile flowers, Lactobacillus acidophilus,
Enterococcus faecium.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
I guess my feeling is that if you are consistently having bad gas issues, your food probably isn't working for your dogs. Mine occasionally have gas (usually when someone has given them a lower quality treat, like at the bank), but it's not an ongoing, daily issue that calls for a gas mask, you know? Regular, frequent, stinky gas would be a sign to me that you should try a different food. Just my two cents.
I agree 100%. This isn't something anyone *has* to live with.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the info guys. I'll be on the lookout for a new food, or maybe a different formula? I don't want to decrease in quality, and raw isn't really an option right now. It makes me sad to think I've been hurting her tummy this whole time. Sigh. Time to hit the good ol' google machine.

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Thanks for the info guys. I'll be on the lookout for a new food, or maybe a different formula? I don't want to decrease in quality, and raw isn't really an option right now. It makes me sad to think I've been hurting her tummy this whole time. Sigh. Time to hit the good ol' google machine.
It wouldn't be the first time we've discovered on this forum that while we want to give them quality food sometimes the best stuff is really not so great for a few of them and is usually called "to rich"(most common reason I have seen) and a slight downgrade from acana to something like evo, canidae, or natural balance makes a difference or in some of the more "extreme" cases purine One and Eukanuba.

Good Luck, isn't food research fun ;)

Reactions: Beaumont67
1 - 20 of 39 Posts