Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Banned
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 7 week old Doberdane puppy named Lassie.Her daddy is a large pure Doberman around 100lbs her mom is a pure Great dane 165lbs I want her to have a friend but I want him or her to be a pure Doberman. Should I try and find a puppy that is more the size of her Dad or does the size not matter. I am just worried because I know she is gonna be a big girl any help would be amazing!

·
Registered
716 Posts
I have a 7 week old Doberdane puppy named Lassie.Her daddy is a large pure Doberman around 100lbs her mom is a pure Great dane 165lbs I want her to have a friend but I want him or her to be a pure Doberman. Should I try and find a puppy that is more the size of her Dad or does the size not matter. I am just worried because I know she is gonna be a big girl any help would be amazing!
I would like to see photos of this girl...:nicejob:

·
Banned
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK thank you. I try and get some more pics of her. I think she is gonna look more Dane than doberman

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I know a couple of Doberman X Dane crosses and they are both very nice, good looking animals.

I would suggest that you rethink your plan regarding getting a puppy friend for your puppy. Raising a single puppy is hard work which requires much time and patience. Raising two puppies is ten times harder! Also, no matter how much fun you are, you will never be as much fun as another puppy... your pup will end up bonding very strongly to another pup and less strongly to you, unless you spend an inordinant amount of time doing things with each pup individually.

Two possible better plans would be to wait until your girl is well on her way to maturity and get a second pup then... she will be able to help you raise the new pup and would still enjoy having the friend. A second plan would be to look at an adult dog who has been temperament tested and safe/good with baby pups, and bring in the older dog now while your pup is a baby.

The other reason I prefer to not have same-age dogs is that it is very hard sometimes to have two dogs get old and begin to fail simultaneously. End of life care can be physically, emotionally and economically draining. One dog at the end can be very difficult... two dogs can be devastating.

You said "him or her," and I would strongly advise you to be looking only at male animals for your second dog. Opposite gender dogs work much better socially together (as a rule) than same-sex pairs.

Good luck with whatever you decide, and I will be waiting for pictures of Lassie!

·
Banned
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lassie was an accident. My Grandma owns Peanut the mom and my brother owns Capone the dad. My brother was watching Peanut and did not even think that having an unaltered male and female together for a month with out close supervision would lead to puppys. But that is going to be the only litter Peanut or Capone is going to have. Copne got fixed 3 days after finding out Peanut was having puppies and Peanut is getting spayed in 2 weeks :p haha so no more Doberdane litters atleast in my family

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
I also suggest waiting on getting her a "friend." First, a doberman's best friend should be it's human (imo). Also, littermate syndrome can be very difficult and end very badly. Last, some dog's personalities change dramatically when they hit maturity. It's usually suggested to wait to get a 2nd dog until the original dog is about 2ish for this reason.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Would be ok to get one when she is around one year old? Should i crop her ears?
I would vote YES to the ear crop!!! But then again I am partial to croped ears!!!

Do you by any chance have more photos of the whole litter???
I'm curious as to what the rest of the puppers looked like! :popcorn:

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Cropping is a cosmetic procedure, and that's entirely your call. Both breeds are traditionally cropped. A good crop requires significant after care (posting) and if you chose to do it get good advice from knowledgeable people about a good vet in your area. Personally, and it's just me, I wouldn't crop a mix. No real reason behind that, just personal opinion. If you do crop, if shes 9 weeks, it's time to get that scheduled. You have a couple weeks left til the window closes.

I would wait til shes 18 months. Enjoy her, bond with her, worry about another pup later. She doesn't need a friend. She already has one - you.

·
Banned
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I will ask my brother to send me some pictures of her litter there were only 3 that had some what doberman markings, 6 fawns with black masks, one chocolate, and 3 all black. They were so crazy altogether!!! But so fun:D

Would a short crop look strange on her? see that she looks more dane?

·
Registered
551 Posts
I hope you will continue posting pictures, so we can see your pup growing up.

Let me be completely honest with you. I am usually a huge pro-crop person. Both with Danes and Dobes (even more so with Dobes.) But I think your pup will look a lot better with natural ears when fully grown. How about getting a cropped Dobe or Dane in a few years if you really like the look?
Yep, definitely natural for your pup!! :)

(Not to mention, without the help of a reputable breeder, posting and ear care would be extrememly difficult and frustrating. Just look at the recent threads in the puppy section on DT- so many people are having an awful time with ears lately, not even veterinarians can really help. :( )

Good luck, and keep us posted. Glad to hear the parents are being fixed!!

·
Registered
716 Posts
:nicejob:
I will ask my brother to send me some pictures of her litter there were only 3 that had some what doberman markings, 6 fawns with black masks, one chocolate, and 3 all black. They were so crazy altogether!!! But so fun:D

Would a short crop look strange on her? see that she looks more dane?
You know if she was my doberdane pup... I'd go with the longer Dane look... But that's just me! ;)

I've hurd longer ears are harder and take longer to get to stand.

If you were considering "short or nothing" I'd look at a bunch of photos online first of Danes with a short crop before you make your decision! I haven't looked at any by the way!!!

·
Banned
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah maybe floppy is better. Because i dont care for the long show crop i prefer the short pet crop. But i have never seen a dane with a short crop. So it will may be easier and better looking way to go

Yeah my brother never planned on fixing Capone he is 4 years old. And my grandma wanted to wait till Peanut was 2 to get spayed due to that is what the breeder told her she is a year and 8 months so close enough i guess

1 - 20 of 68 Posts