Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

We have a beautiful 7 week old female doberman puppy. She is very smart, always goes to the bathroom outside, walks on and off leash, and is super friendly and cuddly.

However the one problem we've been having is she is very nippy. We understand that she is teething and this is normal behavior for a puppy. We would love pointers on how to keep her human nibbling at bay.

·
Sirai Dobermans
2,100 Posts
Hello!

We have a beautiful 7 week old female doberman puppy. She is very smart, always goes to the bathroom outside, walks on and off leash, and is super friendly and cuddly.

However the one problem we've been having is she is very nippy. We understand that she is teething and this is normal behavior for a puppy. We would love pointers on how to keep her human nibbling at bay.
Your pup is likely nippy because she didn't learn bite inhabition from her littermates. She was taken far too early if she's just now 7 weeks.

Redirecting can be very effective. If she's nipping give her something more appropriate.

·
Banned
7,405 Posts
If you do a search on the forum for puppy biting, puppy nipping etc., you will find a lot of reading material.

Puppies should not leave their littermates before 8 weeks, in some US states this is a law.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I've always allowed some human chewing and even play tug with my fingers around their teeth or shaking their muzzles with my hand and all that. They've all learned to use a very soft mouth when dealing with me or my husband. Don't think most people should try it as most people only think they know dogs, think they understand what is going on and how to deal and react.
I never let them nip with their little, front teeth, that hurts like heck and I always end up yelping, lol. I don't allow chewing on anything but hands, though, I always redirect to a toy if I'm busy and if not, I get them to learn to play fight gently with my hand.
Lots of time a chew is just no fun, dogs are interactive, they don't want to sit alone and just bite at something. They want to tug, chase, shake, catch, etc. So getting those redirecting chews interesting can be a pain. A tired puppy is a good puppy. So getting off your butt and running around with the pup will help get them to calmly chew a bone.
Then again, I also wrestle and play tug with dogs, something lots of people say is bad. :p
My woofers love it and listen real well when I get fed up and switch to something else where I can win, but still be a fun note for the dog.

If you don't want your pup to be chewing your hand/fingers, simply roll it's lip or cheek skin in and the dog will bite itself and realize that is no fun. Yelping loudly right after a bite can help, but don't wait too long or yell out before he even makes contact. You don't want to make the dog think you are fearful of his approaching you.
Alternate different chew toys, different smells, shapes, sounds, textures and non-edible to edible.
I've gotten pups older than 8wks, 12wks or more, that have stayed with mom and the litter. I don't believe they learn human bite inhibition until you have the dog. They learn how to deal with other dogs, not people. It's up to you to teach them you're not a new animal to potentially chew on or harass. The mom dog cannot teach that, the siblings cannot teach that, only the new owner can teach a dog how to interact with humans.
Even LGD puppies who are raised with their charges, they learn only some of what they need to know on how to interact with livestock. The new owner needs to continue that training, letting them know when they go too far, what to do instead of chewing on the goat. They are babies after all, and like human kids, as they grow, they will keep testing the same things.

·
Premium Member
9,842 Posts
Hello!

At seven weeks she's not teething-she has her puppy teeth and she won't began the teething process for the permanent teeth until she's around four months.

She was probably taken from her litter mates too young if you have her already and she's 7 weeks old. Puppies learn a lot about appropriate behavior from each other--and bite inhibition is one of the highly valuable things they learn.

I don't agree that they only learn bite inhibition for dogs from other puppies--I think it makes it a lot easier to instill the idea of bite inhibition when it comes to people as well.

I hate being chewed on, mouthed or nipped by dogs so I don't let my dogs do this to me or anyone else. I also don't want to play with my dogs as if I were another dog. So I teach them to play appropriately with me (which includes basic retrieving--so they can chase a ball or other toy and bring it back. Dobes love to stalk people and other dogs--so that is a game I play with them.

I don't use the roll the lip in so a dog bites itself if it is mouthing me--I don't ever let it get that far--mouth on me mean all interaction stops and I walk away. Nipping at pants etc means the same thing. If the puppy is persistent about biting me it earns him a brief period of time in the crate--and often the puppy simply goes to sleep in seconds after being confined. Puppies, like little kids sometimes get so wound up they can't settle down themselves and need some help doing so.

And for the record, one of the least successful things to do is to grab the puppy by the muzzle to try to get them to stop biting--they most often take this as some form of play behavior and it just jacks up the action.

To each his own but I don't want to wrestle with my dogs so I don't--I prefer that my dogs respond to me in a reasonably calm manner and restrain themselves so they are not WILD when playing with me. It may be fun for the dog but I don't think it's much fun for me and dogs who are very rough when playing with people often scare the bejeepers out of people who don't know a lot about Dobes and it looks dangerous to them.

·
Mo's Mom
904 Posts
Mariano was never very mouthy, but he did not leave his litter until he was 9 weeks old, and we had playdates with them every weekend after that for quite a while. (Not sure if that made a difference)

But when he did nip or chew on us, we would yelp and jump back, then redirect him to something he SHOULD chew on. NOT saying this is the best or right way, but it worked for our boy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts