Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
No, don't panic, I am not talking about a dog fight, although a human one might break out any minute in my house if I cannot win over my son to the idea of a Dobe girl instead of a Rottie.

You see my son likes the bigger, more muscle, squatter nosed kind of dogs, Mastif's, Boxer's, Rotties, which means he would like to bring any one of these breeds into the fold as his next dog. I am not keen on the Mastif route especially as he is talking about a Dogo de Bordeaux or English Mastif. Do not get me wrong they are lovely dogs, I just cannot see myself with one and in the end it is me who ends up doing most of the leg work so to speak with them so I think I should have some say, (don't you agree).
He agrees with me about not having a Boxer, the health issues over here are terrible and despite the top showing/working breeders knowing of the health problems all seem to use dogs with some hereditary fault or other simply because they have no 'non-compromised stock' to choose from.
So basically he has announced this past couple of weeks he has set his heart on bringing a Rottie into the fold as his next dog. WHAT! Rotties surely are as bad, well here they are at least, however, his mind appears made up and I am having a devil of a job trying to get him to reconsider. Now he has no problem with the next dog being a girl, in fact he is insistant on it. However, despite my liking Rotties I am finding it hard to come to terms with the idea of having one. I think it's because I have been Dobenatised (hypnotised by a Dobe) and like the idea of a girl Dobe to compliment our family the fact of which has been in the back of my mind for quite some time. Now I personally had decided to wait till Toby was at least 3 years old before a new little one is brought into the family, but son is keen to do it sooner rather than later. EEEEKKKKK! Is Toby mature enough at this stage? Would a Rottie sit well with the family dynamics?
I so want a pup from the breeder of Donnatoldu2's Notty, (I am in love) but know the chances of my getting one are probably pretty slim add to this is it right I foist my dog preference on my son. Don't get me wrong he likes Toby, but he cannot do with the Velcro attitude to the extent Dobes take it too. (I love it, but what can I say, I am dobenatised good and proper). He wants a family dog, one he can snuggle with on his bed, who will be a friend to the whole family rather than one who is first and foremost one persons dog. I have tried to tell him if he works with Toby and or any other Dobe that comes into the family then the velcro will be around him too, but nope, he wants a rottie and that is that.

I have told him he has to do his research into the breed, ailments, hereditary problems, then contact breeders to see who health tests etc for the problems rotties suffer from. Thing is, I fear when he discovers that breeders over here are not that interested in health testing he may get disallusioned and one day just come home with a rottie he got through a friend and the nightmare will begin.

Help, I need advice.

·
Banned
1,141 Posts
actually if it's primarily HIS dog =let him have the Rot
....you will love her

·
Registered
907 Posts
I think you're doing the right thing by making him do the leg-work on finding a good breeder. If he's set on the Rottie, make sure he finds a breeder that you approve of and consult you first. Do not just let him bring hom just any dog, as you know.

How old is your son? If he's of the age where he sould start taking on personal responsibilities, make sure you and he are clear on his duties and responsibilities regarding what is in essence his choice for dog and who is in charge of what. And regardless of how cute the puppies are, and how smitten you will be (I know, I know), by all means, stick to your guns!!

·
Dober-DERP
302 Posts
Your house, your rules?

However, maybe explain to him more (and if need be break it down in paper charts) of the amount of time you'd be spending with the dog VS the time he's be spending with her. Maybe after that he'd start to see it your way since you'll be the primary care giver.

I used to have a HUGE Rotti when I was a little girl. She was very intelligent, however she was lazy and hated exercise. Im my personal experience, almost every one I've seen has been fat and lazy. If you have Dobes, and can keep up, then maybe a Rottweiler wouldn't be the dog as it could fall behind and feel left out.

OR you could possibly look into getting a Dobe/Rotti mix? I see them all the time where I live, or you can get a shelter dog :)

·
Doberdonut
516 Posts
Rottie puppies... are NOT Lazy.

They are walking ****storms on four paws. Orion took years off my life with her stunts at that age, and I've had many trainers tell me her temperament is 100% Rottie. They are as much a working breed as Dobes. She is nearly 7, and still difficult if she doesn't get 'her' exercise or 'her' time or chance to do something as a job. She is so driven to work, for years I walked her 3x a day, swam her/threw balls/played tag until she lay on the floor tongue pooling on the ground and she'd STILL want to get into mischief. There's a few Rottie forums out there, including one big one that's a good place to start. They suggest NILIF straight until 3-4 years old, and that the dog has a job (carting, herding, agility etc) as the first order or course or you will seriously have your hands full.

In my experience, the Dobe is about a third the work the Rottie was, and she didn't calm down until nearly 4. :p However she's my heart dog and I'd never trade her for anything.

To give you an idea of the pack in this house.. the Sheppie dies around 11am, and sleeps in her kennel while Evander plays with Orion. When he's passed out, Orion is throwing balls at me.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I love Rotties. We were lookiing at rotts as one our potential next dogs but my ex I prefer more 'siimer' shaped dogs vs 'bulky' and if I did get a rott he would deff have a tail. I prefer my dobes docked but I love natural tails on a rott

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
I agree with "my house, my rules" but, if it is primarily his dog than it should be primarily his choice. I think that making sure he does all the research he should, however, is a great idea. Then, once you're both well informed you can talk it out.

I've worked with quite a few rotties and I loved them all. No, they're not a dog I'd ever be interested in owning - I have no interest in them and don't find them as aesthetically pleasing as other dogs... but the ones that I've met have all been wonderful, friendly, energetic, happy dogs.

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My son is 33 years of age going on 13 I swear at times. To be honest I do like Rotties, but prefer Dobes. The one thing I am worried about is whether a Rottie would fit in with the dynamics of our family. Will a Rottie be a good playmate for Toby? Or will it be unfair of me to expect her to be his playmate on top of my sons dog. Will she be my sons dog if I am its primary care giver? Do Rotties velcro like Dobes or are they more family orientated. I have joined a Rottie forum but to be honest it doesnt seem to be a fraction as good as this one.

·
Banned
1,141 Posts
yea but if you are a dog person the dog...whoever it is will grow on you
post pics...

Reactions: Dictator

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
I agree with "my house, my rules" but, if it is primarily his dog than it should be primarily his choice. I think that making sure he does all the research he should, however, is a great idea. Then, once you're both well informed you can talk it out.
I'm a control freak :) If he or anyone lives in my house under my rules I get final say (assuming it's a child, etc.). No Byb puppies are coming to live in my house period. If I didn't want a certain breed for whatever reason, same thing. I did mention I was a control freak, right? :) His house, HIS RULES.

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
My son is 33 years of age going on 13 I swear at times. To be honest I do like Rotties, but prefer Dobes. The one thing I am worried about is whether a Rottie would fit in with the dynamics of our family. Will a Rottie be a good playmate for Toby? Or will it be unfair of me to expect her to be his playmate on top of my sons dog. Will she be my sons dog if I am its primary care giver? Do Rotties velcro like Dobes or are they more family orientated. I have joined a Rottie forum but to be honest it doesnt seem to be a fraction as good as this one.
I think that I"ve read the Rotties are family dogs but I've never owned one so I could be wrong. I hear GREAT things about them from the people that own them but, personally, I've only met them in a work environment. As for playmates, a Rottie can take a Doberman and vice versa. They're both working breeds with high energy levels. I think a Rottie would be a great playmate for Toby. When we had them at work Dreizehn LOVED them, they'd play nonstop.

Edit:
I'm a control freak :) If he or anyone lives in my house under my rules I get final say (assuming it's a child, etc.). No Byb puppies are coming to live in my house period. If I didn't want a certain breed for whatever reason, same thing. I did mention I was a control freak, right? :) His house, HIS RULES.
I can appreciate this, truly. While I don't have a husband, nor a child, I do have a boyfriend (kind of childlike) and the house basically runs the same way - i.e. "my house, my rules." Still, I come from a fairly open family system (parents were stern and set rules but we could discuss and things could change) so that's where my opinion comes from.

·
Banned
7,471 Posts

Two good friends of mine have a female that is really awesome. She does great in their pack of 3 huskies and 2 cats.

She and Prime are buds

and she loooves loves love her humans

On the flip side...they can be total hell in the wrong hands(as with any breed), for example..this male has been trained by an ignorant owner with very heavy hands who has no time for him, he tried attacking me a few times when I worked with him and has bit almost everyone at the boarding facility.

JGOKnd_sz_A

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,322 Posts
I don't think Rotties are as drippy as the typical mastiff types--but is your son prepared for DROOL? I don't think mine could deal with it. :D

·
joie de vivre
11,272 Posts
Alright, I'm not a mom but I feel I must play devil's advocate here.

If your son is 33 why would you be the dog's primary caregiver?

Also, I agree with the whole "my house, my rules" thing. If I'm the one responsible for my home - bills, furnishings, structure, land - you better believe I have final say about what creatures inhabit it.

·
Luv-The-Nub
1,058 Posts
I personally couldn't handle the shedding :/ and not so crazy about drool after being used to the cleanliness of Dobies (generally speaking, after drinking messes are excused)

1 - 20 of 63 Posts