Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey,
Just got my puppy a week ago and he is a Parvo survivor. Took him to the vet and he checked out ok and everybody fell in love with him. One thing I can't find a answer for is his limp. It seems to come and go but he limps allot. He had a hard time getting used to the stairs but is doing better. You can hold his leg and move it around and it doesn't seem to bother him at all. The vet didn't really have anything to say about it and couldn't find anything wrong either. No xrays have been taken.

Like I said he's a Parvo survivor and it's only been adout 2 or 3 weeks since he had it and the people I got him from didn't think he was gonna make it. His stool and eating is better but the limp has me worried. Oh and he sleeps ALL the time. Just likes to lay around the house but he does keep an eye on the front yard.

Thanks
Cowboy

Attachments

·
Registered
421 Posts
Hes a cutie! I'm not sure what would be causing the limp. It could just be genral weakness. Maybe ask your vet about giving him gatorade or another type of sports drink. it can give them just a little boost and it helps them with hydration which he could be having problems with. Is it possible he is faking the limp? I had a dog that would limp when someone raised there voice. She had learned people cooed over her when she did it. I hope you figure it out.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi! I really don't have any idea what would cause that. I hope it gets better soon. Good luck! Good Bye!

·
Registered
73 Posts
It might be Pano. Pano is inflamation of teh long bones. It comes and it goes.. and it can go to all legs, or just one. But, I do not think he can get Pano in all four legs at the same time. But don't quote me on that. You can give him some IBprophine, or some type of Anti-Imflammitory pain meds. Malachi was given Rymadale(sp?), but it made him have teh runs. I was then given another type, but, I'm sorry, I dont know that name of it. Pano is not something that they can x-ray, But some Vets will x-ray just to make sure its nothing serious.

Malachi had Pano really bad in January and Febuary in his hind quater, it was getting really bad, he wouldnt even get up for food... and to me, that was a bad sign! Anyways, I had an OFA appointment for Malachi to get his hips checked out at the end of Febuary, well I moved the appointment up to early febuary. The vet found that she could Palpate(dislocate?) his hip in and out of teh socket. Not good. SO we sent the xrays down to a Specailets down in Phoenix, and he came to the some conclusion as my vet did.. Malachi has Mild HD. Malachi wasnt even a month over being a year old.

***NOTE: Malachi did NOT get HD from Pano.

Good luck, Midear

·
Pack Leader
1,551 Posts
Hey SpaceCowboy your attachments must have gotten lost in the recent server move - Sorry :( But I wish I could see him. Maybe you could post some pictures up in the members photo gallery of him? :D

As for his Limp I have no idea, my only experience with something like that was my red Dobe that developed "Wobblers" disease at a very young age and could barely make her way around with out falling. It was very, very sad. She couldnt walk on slipper surfaces, fell over when squatting to pee or if she made too fast of a turn she would just fall.:sadcry: I have some video of it if anyone is interested but I warn you it is pretty sad to watch.

Thanks for the info LCGSDmama, it is always useful to learn more info about dogs and their health.:tropthy:

SpaceCowboy please let us know how he is doing.

DA

·
Registered
1 Posts
How old is your puppy? I would definetly get an x-ray of the leg. Did the vet suggest you get one? Your baby has been through quite an ordeal. I'm sure the sleeping is normal as long as he's eating, drinking, etc. Just to be on the safe side, I would let the vet know that too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts