Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dobes aren't highly represented as police dogs atleast thats what i hear ofcourse they wouldnt be used where its Cold. But what about the Southern States? Typically its German shepherds and i've seen a Rott here and their but yeah i was just wondering about it. Would it have to do with there Background of being a vicious dog and not so good Tracking ablities? I'm sure something with there Background is involved with why there not used alot if the case.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
I've heard that it's because although Dobermans are quick, agile dogs, they aren't really heavy enough to be a police dog. I'm not sure if that's true or not though.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I was talking to a woman who used to breed Dobes and is now breeding GSD's. One of her offspring GSD's made the news here not so long ago, as a police dog killed when on duty. It was so sad. I asked her why Dobes weren't used, and her comment was that they think too much. Her point was that a trained GSD will just "do what it's trained to do, no thought for it's own safety". But a dobe, would weigh up the situation, work out the pros and cons, and then decide what action to take!! Not too sure if I'd agree though.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Yeah, I'm with you crx. My daughter was home alone one day, we have a guy who comes in about once a fortnight to empty a garden clippings bag - Jeddah was closed in on our back deck, and went into full-on "defence". Luckily, she couldn't get to this bloke. As much as I know Jeddah would defend any of us, I think with Bonnie, Jeddah was showing that she was taking charge of defending the home and her. I really think believe she would defend all of us, without any thought for her own safety. But, if he comes when I'm home, not the same reaction???? So maybe I'm the home defender then, and Jeddah's the back-up???

Personally, I think Dobes have the strength, intelligence and agility to make an excellent service dog.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
A thought crossed my mind, dobies can be a sensitive breed and are very in tune with their handler, making them possibly more difficult to traditionally train as opposed to a GSD. I've had GSDs most of my life and have found them easier and more "clockwork" to train by traditional methods than my dobes. I mean the dobes are great and easy to train once you know how their minds work, but a police dog can't take time to be sensitive to any techniques. Make any sense? Anyway just a thought...

I don't buy into the size thing, a dobe can take down a full grown man easy. Neither do I with the thing about protecting their own hide, these dogs were created to defend us.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
speaking of service dogs...anyone know more information about all the different service activities you can do...search and rescue...tracking...what about drug sniffing dogs...what do they call them...

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Yeah Dobes are sensitive but not really more Difficult to train then GSD for this type of work it would just take more time prolly. But since they are the only breed with the main purpose to defend man i dont see where it would make a real difference. Maybe it might take some more training but when they know what to do and given the command to do so they're gonna do it no matter what no backing down. I can see why GSD are the main dogs for the law but get the right Dobe with the right training and your set GSD are really good Dogs thats a fact for sure.

·
Extraordimary
4,925 Posts
There are a number of reasons why Dobermans aren't that active in police work, some that have already been mentioned. Weather is a factor - Dobermans are not suited to work in the cold. The intelligence factor is also given as a reason just like stated - Dobermans aren't always blindly obedient. They will try to out think the handler and analyze the situation to some extent. They also don't always easily transfer handler to handler, if necessary. They were bred to be a personal protector, as was mentioned, and that means they don't always excel at work where they must be "sent" such as after a bad guy. That conflicts them as they want to stay close to the handler.

·
Registered
24 Posts
TracyJo said:
Mark and I were talking about this just the other day. For the longest the AF has used mainly Belgian Malinois but are starting to move back to GSDs because the Mals are just too prey driven and focused sometimes. I think that Dobes may suffer that same stigma.
Hi!

Maybe I am sticking my nose into dobe bussines but here goes..

I have 2 dogs, malinois and tervueren, both are special in their own way and I love them very much.

I have talked to many breeders, police trainers and "common" people about this problem why just certain breeds are police and army dogs. It has to do a lot with breeding and where our breeds are at moment. All 4 variants of belgian shepherd used to be police and army dogs but through years malinois is the only one left that does it (although it is possible to find one longhair here and there).

I belive that it is true that some breeds are not what they used to be 50 years ago, not as sharp,... I belive doberman could be a very good police dog although cold does pose problem.. but good doberman (for police work) is as hard to find as good GSD. I have a friend who trains police dogs and it took him couple years to find a good dog (GSD) no such problems with malinois.

I don´t think many will go from malinois to gsd because this two breeds are becoming uncomperable... friend of mine was decoying for first time and tryed malinois and gsd, both females, 14 months old and mali scared him to death. Totaly other story is if people can handle them since they can be a handfull.

Here is a clip why malinois:
http://media.putfile.com/Politie-honden-bizarsite

Sorry for sticking my nose into dobe bussines. :)

Bye, Katja

PS: Take this as info from the other side.. from none dob owner.. and ofcourse most of it is opinion

·
Registered
77 Posts
the number one reason at my department is they are way more intimimidating just by appearance. as far as a dobe working, we have bred alot of the drive out of the dobe, if one were to be tested it would most likely have to be a full blown euro breed, and that doesnt mean it would pass... lots of dogs that you think would pass, just dont cut it, it is a very strict guigline as to who makes it.
shepards are hard to come by do to the same reason..... but malinois, great breed for police work and not "overbred" by americans yet. my friends work dog is a malinois named akila, she doesnt weigh an ounce over 70lbs. i saw her take down a full grown adult with a gun in his hand, like he weighed 20lbs. weight doesnt matter, all these dogs are stronger than we think.

2 new breeds we may start seeing in police work are (sorry for spelling) bouvea's and Giant schnausers (bred from bouvea's) these dogs are incredibly agile, good drive, very few in the states and starting to be worked in other countries

most of our dogs are cross trained, patrol (arrest, defense, large crowd control etc), track, and drug detection. but that is no means all a dog can do, we have a few blood hounds for search... some dogs, none of ours, are trained to detect explosives... when they find one they just sit, if they didnt it would be dangerous to all in the area.

anywho this is just what i have gathered at work, i am not a k-9 officer, but talk about it a bit with co-workers.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts