Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Forager
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've been considering getting a 2nd Doberman. In fact, we will be making a home visit to look at a one-year-old male on Sunday.

Our 1-year-old Dobe female, Dimity--whom you may have read about in the last couple of months in the Health forum--is a whirlwind of energy. I am home all the time, constantly tending to, walking, and training her--as does my wife; but that is not enough. She craves more attention. Dimity is spayed. Will a (spayed/altered) mate help? She loves people and other dogs.

The dogs would primarily be inside dogs, though we have a sizeable house and fenced yard, which could easily accommodate the activities of two high-energy dogs. Does anyone have any thoughts about the pros-and-cons of having more than one Dobe? I know that many members do, so hopefully some of them will share their thoughts.

We know there are no definitive answers, but any comments would be appreciated, Re: potential benefits and/or problems.

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
Well i would really be looking at another female but i have had a male with 2 females before but he was the calmest of calm dobes,if you think Dimity is high energy then X2+ is possible with a male,but if you can take that, then go for it because i have found that they love the company of their of their own kind.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Seriously I think it all depends on the tempermant of the dogs. If you have two dominant females it can be tense, and if one is more submissive to the leader then it can be wonderful.
I had two bitches once that if looks only could kill they should have both been dead. I found for the most part a male will give in to the female, they flirt and play, and one is always hoping he'll get some. :)

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
forager, I have two, a 16 month old female and a 7 month old male and they are great together. She is spayed, he is neutered.

Da'Kari is a hyper girl, wanted constant attention and still wants lots but she does burn some energy off playing with Nash my male who is not as hyper. It balances out. With him she gets to romp outside, they love playing together. I've never regretted getting a second.

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
And it is great to have a pair of dobes,i have a pair and my wife has a pair as well :)

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
I think the fact that you are home speaks for a lot in this situation too, generally we do not recommend that people bring another pup in a house that has a young dog in it already. But being that you are home to moniter and work with them, hey double the fun :) Of course double the food bills, work, time and vet bills too, if you're okay with all that, I think you'll be fine bringing another pooch in.
You may be better off getting a male to compliment your female though. I know several of us have two or more females (me included) living in the same house with no problems, but there are cases of problems in same sex households. Best wishes and good luck!

·
Forager
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, everyone. We canceled our appointment on Sunday to see the male. He needs to be neutered, and he is already spraying in his current home. We don't object to neutering a dog--in fact, we enthusiastically support it--but we think it would be a bit much for the male (and our female) to subject him to a surgical procedure, while he copes with a new house, new people, and another dog. Also, the dogs, while still strangers, would have to be separated for a while, post-operatively. It sounds like a horrific way to welcome a newcomer to the family.
The current owner suggested that we keep the dog outside until he is neutered--an intolerable suggestion, we think!
Anyway, we learned something from this.
Again, thanks to all.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Are you looking for a adult or a pup? May check some local rescues in your area, that way the neutering and such is already out of the way. Keep us updated!

·
Premium Member
10,445 Posts
Gosh, Forager,

There is no good reason for an intact male to be marking inside his home (or foster home). Training is the key to that--and it is easily stopped but it takes diligent watching and an instant correction for leg lifting in inappropriate places. My males are all trained from the time they are puppies who are just starting to lift their legs to the command "no, inside!" Which for thier purposes means that they must wait until they are outside to pee.

Also neutering a dog and putting him into a new situation shouldn't be all that traumatic. If he turns out to be a male that you think you'd like to adopt I'd recommend making arrangements to take him from the foster home to the vet (if you are responsible for the neutering) and take him home from there. He should be monitored and kept from being too rowdy the first few days anyway so walking on leash is a good idea--both dogs could meet on leash outside the house and your yard. A male neuter is a much less invasion operation than a spay is on a female.

But I'll warn you that if this dog has started to lift his leg and mark inside his house you will have to retrain that behavior--the neutering will not take care of it. There are many neutered and spayed dogs and bitches who are territorial enough to mark even though they are not intact.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts