Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!...04951400.81722.144812535560766&type=1&theater

This is the response my girlfriend received when we tried to tell them about Dobe rescues in Ohio

HI!
I tried to tell the humane society about him before...(when they had another dobe)
They sent me this:
Hi Kathy, thanks for taking the time to look at all the wonderful animals needing homes on our facebook page. We however do not usually release to rescue groups. If someone in the rescue knows of a good home they can and are encouraged to refer them to our shelter. Just wanted to say thanks again and feel free to share the photos as many times as you want!

I just try to get them out an noticed...:0) Isn't that one adorable?!

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
I wonder what's up. No release to a rescue. Is this a no kill shelter?

·
Banned
3,463 Posts
Wyandot County Humane Society's Policy regarding rescues

"The following is WCHS’s policy regarding releasing animals to rescues:

When an animal is in our care, we feel a responsibility to do everything possible to ensure the safety and long life of that animal once it leaves our shelter. Therefore, we have an adoption contract with the individual adopter that requires certain standards of care, as well as the return of the animal to us if the adopter can no longer care for the animal according to those standards.

While we don’t release animals to rescues because they are not the final adopter, we do work closely with some breed rescues who can provide advice to adopters on the special needs of particular breeds, and can also refer their potential clients to us if we happen to have a pet someone is looking for.

Unfortunately, we have found that some rescues – definitely not all – who refer to themselves as “rescues” are actually just fronts for a breeding and/or pet-selling businesses. Some have actually encouraged people to come to our shelter and pose as adopters to get animals, and then give the animals to them – the rescue -and they will be reimbursed the adoption fee. Our adoption fee is minimal, but the resale price the “rescues” charge to their buyers can be as much as 10 to 20 times that amount, and they frequently have no criteria for the placement other than the ability to pay that fee. Additionally, there’s the issue of rescues who claim a very high adoption rate that includes the animals they bring to our shelter when they’re full. They are sometimes very public about their great adoption numbers, when actually many of their adoptions consist of merely dumping their unwanted animals on us. We certainly don’t mind helping the animals; but feel these organizations are being deceptive when they use this tactic to make themselves appear far more successful than they are.

Our policy has been in place for many years and is reviewed periodically. Please understand that repeated calls from rescues attempting to challenge the policy take valuable time away from our staff, and detract from our ongoing care of the nearly 11,000 animals that arrive at our shelter each year.

Thank you for caring."

1 - 4 of 4 Posts