Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone, just wondering if anyone had any ideas what she might be mixed with. Found her on petfinder, I'll probably still wait to adopt (I think . . . errrr. . . I should wait. . .:( ) I know some of you are not too keen on dobe mixes , but just wondered if anyone had any ideas. The little blurb on her said she had a skin infection that they were trying to clear up, but if history has shown anything, its that I have a thing for kinda ugly dogs (poor Shadow) :)

(cant figure out how to copy the pic :confused2 , so heres the site)
http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=8523346

Just realized that this was maybe not the most appropriate forum for this question, I've just gotten so used to checking this one. Sorry : P

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
I think she is absolutely adorable!!!!!! I'm thinking she looks rather labbish b/c her head is so square. Almost seems a little too square even for a lab and she is very slender, but she seems a tad underweight and I'm sure she's going through some awkward growing stages as well, but that is the best I can come up with! You never know though, you have to remember many many many dogs are not just 1st generation mixed breeds (example would be a pure lab parent X with a pure dobe parent) it can be second and third generation mixed, so it is really just a best guess kind of game.

There are millions of wonderful dogs out there that are in need of homes that are mixed breeds, so I don't think there is anything wrong with mixbreeds! Proof in the pudding, here is a shot of my Scrappy, my mixed girl with my dobe...

That little girl there seems to be a bit mangy (if that is what her problem is) I hope they get it cleared up! Poor girl! Let us know what you decide on!! And congrats for choosing to adopt!

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Hey everyone, just wondering if anyone had any ideas what she might be mixed with. Found her on petfinder, I'll probably still wait to adopt (I think . . . errrr. . . I should wait. . .:( ) I know some of you are not too keen on dobe mixes , but just wondered if anyone had any ideas. The little blurb on her said she had a skin infection that they were trying to clear up, but if history has shown anything, its that I have a thing for kinda ugly dogs (poor Shadow) :)

(cant figure out how to copy the pic :confused2 , so heres the site)
http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=8523346

Just realized that this was maybe not the most appropriate forum for this question, I've just gotten so used to checking this one. Sorry : P
I think the ones who 'are not to keen on dobe mixes' were probably referring to mixing them on purpose or by neglect...........rescuing is a whole different story (at least to me it is)

It is very hard for me to guess what the mix might be in those photos. I got as close to the screen as possible trying to get a better look, LOL.....as if that would help me, hahahhaha Whatever she is, I think she would love a good home just like any other poochie :)

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
She is ADORABLE!!!!! Probably a mix of a couple of different breeds, her pouty mouth could maybe be boxer??? I don't know, I just know that she is super cute. Get her. :)

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
I think the ones who 'are not to keen on dobe mixes' were probably referring to mixing them on purpose or by neglect...........rescuing is a whole different story (at least to me it is)

Well, I certainly don't agree with delibarate cross breeding, but I don't think that's what Dobebug was getting at. I happen to agree with her that when you start mixing breeds with dissimiliar temperaments and/or original functions, you take a big chance of coming up with some funky temperaments. For a dog to be stable, it has to have the proper drives in the proper proportions-and when you start mixing things up, you're likely to wind up with those drives all out of whack.

That's not to say I'm against adopting mixed breed dogs..I've owned them and loved them, we have a mixed breed dog here now. Just that I think you need to be a bit extremely careful about *which* mixed breeds you select.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I happen to agree with her that when you start mixing breeds with dissimiliar temperaments and/or original functions, you take a big chance of coming up with some funky temperaments. For a dog to be stable, it has to have the proper drives in the proper proportions-and when you start mixing things up, you're likely to wind up with those drives all out of whack.

That's not to say I'm against adopting mixed breed dogs..I've owned them and loved them, we have a mixed breed dog here now. Just that I think you need to be a bit extremely careful about *which* mixed breeds you select.
That's pretty much what I understood from previous posts as well. Which is why I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on what this pup was. Obviously with rescue dogs its super hard to tell exactly whats in them. Theyre just so darn adorable, I wish I could rescue every single one regardless of what they were. Unfortunately, my house is only so big and Shadow is only so accomodating. :) Plus, I'd like my second dog to be more of a 'working' dog instead of just an at home pet so I'd like to have at least a vague idea of the dogs makeup. I'm just so awful at telling whats what, I'd probably do what the shelters do and just label everything a lab mix :biggrin55

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Poor girl looks like she has a bit of everything thrown in. Def a second/third generation mutt. Noticed a Dobe/Chi mix listed on PetFinder over the weekend - don't even get me started on THAT visual...

I think it's pretty clear that most of us only advocate responsible breeding. Too many dogs end up in shelters and it is inexcusable. To breed a dog so that your children 'can experience the miracle of life' or to see what 'turns out' is selfish and immature. On a personal note, if you have a dog with an impressive bloodline, it is almost a crime to cross-breed it. People wouldn't dream of mating Secretariate with a plow mare, so why are pure-bred dogs any different?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Totally agree with that. I grew up mostly in the horse world (still a family business) and would cringe everytime someone wanted to breed some backyard mare just so they could have a cute foal. Luckily I have a little more impulse control than my sister who would on most occasions tell them it was a dumb idea. But sometimes I guess people like that need it spelled out for them.
Anyways, thanks for the brainstorming. Onward with my search for the perfect pup!! :biggrin55

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Well, I certainly don't agree with delibarate cross breeding, but I don't think that's what Dobebug was getting at. I happen to agree with her that when you start mixing breeds with dissimiliar temperaments and/or original functions, you take a big chance of coming up with some funky temperaments. For a dog to be stable, it has to have the proper drives in the proper proportions-and when you start mixing things up, you're likely to wind up with those drives all out of whack.

That is exactly what I was saying Murrey.........I don't think anyone has a problem with rescuing mixes........but people that would intentionally mix, or be neglectful of the dogs and let it happen is a whole different story ;)

·
Supersized Warlock Alpha
6,923 Posts
That last photo seems to look sharpei-ish to me... but you'll never really know. Unless you do that new DNA testing they have now... but only certain breeds are listed in it.

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
Wow she is somethin alright! probably a 2nd gen mix at least. Maybe boxer and something is making her paws white in front, lol. I wonder how big she'll be.

Onward with my search for the perfect pup!!
I'd really suggest just going and checking out your local shelter if you havnt done so already. You dont have to leave with a dog but you get to see them in person and not just read about them online. Only thing is they dont have a lot of pups, but there are a definately quite a few good ones out there I can tell ya that!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts