Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, well I am new and probably this is the first place people end up when looking. My family and I have very comfortably decided that a Dobe is our new addition and I would be very appreciative of finding a REPUTABLE breeder in our area or anywhere for that matter. I know there are all kind of breeder lists out there however in my past experiences and much forum surfing it really doesnt mean much. I have already gone through extreme heartbreak and expense with a previous Great Dane which came from a "listed breeder" which was very sickly from a young age, yes I understand there are of course no guarantees with anything ( especially health ) however the more work I put into my "search" I am positive the more I will get from it.

I have spent countless hours researching breeders online ( mostly google and club related links ) and always seem to find something which puts up a red flag. I had initially found this site by researching said breeders and usually only negative things were reported from the ones I thought looked good ? Thus I am putting my faith in the place where people truly care for the breed and betterment of the Dobe.

We are looking for Family/Companion dog. Health and Temperament are of the utmost concern. I would absolutely love the opportunity to participate in the Schutzhund trials if she is capable, although any interaction which would keep us all stimulated are welcomed. I am not intending to offend anyone however esthetically I find that I like the shape and physique of the Euro lines a little better although it isnt a must by any means. I keep referring to "she" as we have a 3yo male boxer and I am well aware of the dangers and pitfalls of male-male aggression especially with those two breeds.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and any info is truly appreciated, I didnt mean for this to be long winded however thought I would try to articulate as much info as I could.

Cheers
Tenz

·
Super Moderator
22,015 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

I'd recommend first reading this thread, if you haven't already: http://www.dobermantalk.com/breedin...rst-helpful-breeder-breeding-information.html

I'm sure some working folks will chime in here soon. You might start by checking out the United Doberman Club: Official Website of the United Doberman Club For working dog breeders, you may have to look into having a puppy shipped. There are some good working breeders out there who are competing in Schutzhund, but I don't know enough to recommend any as I'm not involved in the sport.

·
Banned
7,405 Posts
We spoke a bit via PM.

I would really suggest heading to the Alberta Kennel Club show this weekend
February 03, 2012 - February 05, 2012.

You can get the schedule at canuckdogs.com

·
Registered
188 Posts
Hi there, I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. My husband and I went through the loss of our bassets (prior to our dobes) because of poor breeding. I understand the heart ache you have gone through.
I know you are leaning towards Euro lines but if you are considering NA lines as well, Deb Romans (Gentry Dobermans) is an excellent breeder. If you are considering both lines I would check her out as well. Just thought I would throw that out there
Good luck!!

·
BYB Hunter
1,058 Posts
I second Jaspernator!! I have a Gentry (Deb Romans) pup, and she is beautiful, and Deb has been super great and patient with answering my questions (whatever random they may be)! I would recommend her highly, her website is Gentry Dobermans.

Also try going to the Alberta Doberman Club, and they have a list of good breeders, which is where I found Deb! I think she might be having another litter sometime soon, but I may have been totally wrong, so check! I am excited someone else is actually in Alberta with a Dobe! Lol

1 - 5 of 5 Posts