Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a Doberman who also has hardwood floors? I am thinking of replacing my carpet with hardwood, but I am unsure about how well the hardwood will hold up with a Doberman. My boy, Loki, is a little over a year and weighs anywhere from 85-90 lbs.

·
Banned
375 Posts
it is good after they are alittle older and no longer growing at least that is the research ive done... im replacing mine also... so i think it is better easier to clean but make sure he isnt growing anymore... and then do it :D hope that halps

·
Registered
421 Posts
never bothered us. His nails should be short enugh to not touch it really anyway so he sjhould be able to grip with his pads.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
We just put in Pergoe(not sure I spelled that right) if our dining area and kitchen area looks beautiful, and we have 3 dogs, two teenage boys, high traffic if you know what I mean, our berooms are hardwood and I don't like it because they are so marked, mostly from furniture and etc I think though. I pergoe stays nice even if you scrap it with a knife.... Just have to look for the good stuff, there are a lok of different brands out there.

I think you can kinda see it in this pic....

·
Registered
460 Posts
We have hardwood floors in our house and they haven't been a problem with Ava... Or vise versa :)

I do however file her nails with a dremel tool to keep them nice and short, otherwise I don't think the floors would survive her.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Yeah I dremel all my babies too, really helps, especially with the carpeting imagine having three romping canines with long nails! Ekkkkkkkk, the hair is bad enough. I think I should buy stock in vaccuums!

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Oh two Loki's??? And what an unusual name too! I thought it was you Firebretha, I didn't even look at the poster I just saw Loki!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I noticed our Dobies shared the same name. I really thought I had picked out a unique name....guess not. :) About the dremel thing....how does that work? How do you know if you are going to far. I have a terrible time trying to determine if I am cutting the nails too short.

·
Registered
421 Posts
you just do it bit by bit. There are soem good sites but I don't have them boockmarked on this comp. I'll try to look later although someone else might be able to explain it easier.

I just fill byrons mouth with peanut butter and get it done as fast as I cna :)

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
slandaker said:
I noticed our Dobies shared the same name. I really thought I had picked out a unique name....guess not. :) About the dremel thing....how does that work? How do you know if you are going to far. I have a terrible time trying to determine if I am cutting the nails too short.

Ohh, I love the dremel!!! Makes the nail so smooth no more sharp edges.Just take it back as far as you would with clippers. Key is don't hold it on one nail too long even if you just have to come back to it, because it can get hot and uncomfortable on their nail. You'll have to introduce it slowly, just start by letting you doberkid be comfortable with approaching you or sitting with you while it is running, and the first few time you finally do touch Loki with it, just be very brief and rewarding. Like I said my other two dogs are nuts over it, I can hardly sit down after I pull the dremel case out, because it is always a positive experience. Working on getting Lexy like that too. They just lay right on their side and hold their feet up. It's actually funny because I always do Harley first (aussie) he won't have it any other way, and after I have to lock him up in a different room because he will try to layright on top of whoever I'd doing next trying to give me his feet again!

Here's a great link, they even have pics- a doberman too, how fitting!
http://homepages.udayton.edu/~merensjp/doberdawn/dremel/dremel.html

·
Registered
288 Posts
with the dremel tool I just start at the bottom of the nail and go up about three times then go around the outside of the nail to help dull it. when you go up the nail do it quickly. I don't usually go to far but as they get used to it when you get close to the quick they will pull back . that will tell you are close.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I did try the dremel this weekend. Worked pretty well. I, for the first time, was able to see the quick. Loki, did pull back when I got close. I didn't knick it, but I seen the white dot. The instuctions were GREAT!! Loki, still is skiddish, so I only do a little bit at a time. Way better than the clippers.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
We keep our dobes nails real short they dont touch the floor at all. Our other dog(Lab mix) is the one we can hear walking down the hall and uses his nails to suddenly stop and slide on the hardwood. Your hardwood floor should be alright.

·
Registered
193 Posts
How strange. My first dobie - some 20+ years ago - was named Loki. Haven't run across many with that name since then. She was such an ornery puppy, figured the God of Mischieviousness was about the only thing to name her.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts